bu-353 GPS highly recommended

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bu-353 GPS highly recommended

I just got one to replace the dead one that came with MS Streets & Trips and it is so much better than that one ever was (even when working ). It gets a lock typically within 30 seconds of leaving my tree lined driveway in the morning. On a warm start, it's got a lock long before my computer finishes resuming from hibernate. And it typically sees 7 satellites in my area when the old one usuall saw 3, 4 if I was lucky and 7 very occasionally. I found out yesterday that there are at least 9 that can be seen since it hit 9 - something I never saw my old one do.

My enthusiasm for having a GPS solution in my car is now rekindled since I can see it working well now it consistently.

Plus it's a nice discrete shape and color - not like the flashy transparent/copper/blue glow that the streets & trips one had. Since I want my final setup to be almost invisible to a casual observer (or thief checking the car out), that's a good thing.
    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

I know what you mean....I have the BU-355 and couldn't be anymore happier!
    My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by Arathranar
        I just got one to replace the dead one that came with MS Streets & Trips and it is so much better than that one ever was (even when working ).
        I want to get one to replace the one I got with MS S&T too. How much did you buy it for and from who?

Comment

Get the GlobalSat BR-355! It's better!

-Rich
          http://www.mybimmer.net

Comment

I've got the bu-353 aswell and it works great, I got 14 sat's once when I was flying about 4000 feet up (which shocked me because I thought it wouldn't get any at all). In my car I typically get 7-12 from blizzards to sunshine it works great. (Just thought I'd add to this thread about praising it)
            (Picture) - me doing a wheelie on my ty 175

Comment

You guys have it inside or out side? I was just curious as if it works well right inside the windshield (on the dash). Would be sweet if it did.

Comment

I have mine on the inside, always. It works so well inside out of the weather/rain/snow/SALT (in canada ). I put it on the middle of the dashboard all the way to the front in the civic, and in the plane I put it on the passenger window. (I have never tried it in the chevelle yet. I want to make a perminent hidden screen for it first) It works great. Somepeople have reported real problems with it mounted in the car, but mine has never stopped working inside. Highly recomend, I paid $75 USD on ebay for mine. twice, the first one died, but it might just be the battery is drained, I'm still going to check it out. But let me say this, it was worth 75 the first time, and worth 75 the second time. I wouldn't even flinch to buy another if this one died for some unknown (faulty) reason. That's really cheap for having a 15.5 inch GPS screen! (laptop) lol

Comment

Cool might have to pick one of these up after I get my lcd. The garmen Map III or what ever I have now works ok but it takes about 3 min to lock onto a signal if you siting still and even longer if you drive around well its trying. Also rain and tree (im guessing buildings as well) also kill it.

Comment

my 353 gets a satalite lock before my laptop brings me to the windowsxp login screen. And I've never had a tree or a building lose my signal. Ever. Mind you, the only buildings I've used it around was in Toronto. But it worked flawlessly for me. 9+ sats

Comment

https://www.buygpsnow.com/forum/default.aspx?g=forum

Edit: Check out the forums before you buy...
                      2005 Black Chevy Impala
                      Current Status: Installed in Vehicle/Testing 75%

Comment

concure Highly recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by srcstc
                          Get the GlobalSat BR-355! It's better!

-Rich
                          I've done a quick google on this only to find that it's not USB, is this the case for the one that you have?

Also, is it waterproof?

and what do you like better about the 355 over the 353? have you used both for an extended period of time?

can you qualify your statements about the 355 being better?

thanks!
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

BR-355 = Serial
                            BU-353 = USB

I've only used the 353 USB one. And it works great! Some people have problems with the 353 working after comming out of hibernation mode (I have not), resulting in having to restart the computer. I believe they're the same mouse, but with a serial cable on the end, instead of a USB end. They both have sirf III so it's basically up to you whether you want to use a USB or a SERIAL gps mouse. They both give you the same accurate data. I hope that helps.. BTW, some people have had great luck using these outside of their car.. but personally, I wouldn't even bother. Mine gets 9-12 sat's on the dash by the front window glass, and there is no chance of it shorting out from weather. Although they're advertised online as "water proof", It's been mentioned on these forums a few times that they're not "weather proof". So if you plan on putting yours outside of your car, search the forms for how to water proof it (dipping it into some kinda rubbery plastic thing). Many people have had to do this, but my BU-353 usb works great inside, so there is no need for me to do that.

If you don't have usb, get the br-355 (Make sure you've got an extra serial port on your carputer though).. Personally the BU-353 has never let me down so I say go that route :P But that's biased! good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                              I've done a quick google on this only to find that it's not USB, is this the case for the one that you have?

Also, is it waterproof?

and what do you like better about the 355 over the 353? have you used both for an extended period of time?

can you qualify your statements about the 355 being better?

thanks!

I've had two USB receivers before this one and serial starts up faster. You also don't need a driver for it.

Rich
                              http://www.mybimmer.net

Comment

Working...
                              X