POLL: BU-353, Inside or outside!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: BU-353, Inside or outside!

I've been researching but i wanna know one n for all how many people actually mount their gps outside. I'm considering putting it under my sunroof wind deflector. So how bout it. How many owners have it mounted in the elements?
    inside the car
    86.36%
    outside the car
    13.64%
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

I have mine inside and under a plastic rear quarter panel
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Honestly if you have a sunroof wind deflector, I wouldn't be worried about putting it outside. I would probably still open it up and seal it all up with silicone though, just to be on the safe side... but since it won't be in direct sunlight or rain, I don't think there's nearly as much to worry about. But, if I were you I'd test it in both places first and see if it makes a difference. Having it up on top of the car does have the advantage that it has a pretty clear view of the sky in all directions, whereas any place inside the car would have a more limited view.
      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
      Originally posted by Viscouse
      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
      eegeek.net

Comment

353 should get excellent reception from inside the car, why risk it?

Comment

I have mine sitting on the shelf behind the rear seat (where the speakers are mounted). I haven't had a problem yet.
          2002 Grand Am progress :
          [] - 80%
          ...complete setup, but still need to make the install cleaner

Comment

I just got my 353 in today but not sure where to mount it yet. Has anyone compared reception inside vs. outside? Isn't it waterproof for outside mounting?
            tango/dune
            Infiniti QX4 2002 project (done!... for now)

Comment

It's not waterproof. I've read of MANY that have been fried because they thought it was waterproof, but it's "weather proof" or some catch like that:P Just use it inside, it works just as well. I guess that polls results show that though..

edit: search for people who "dipped" theirs so they could mount them externally on this site
              (Picture) - me doing a wheelie on my ty 175

Comment

Mine will be mounted inside next week when I do the install.
                70 Chevelle pro-touring project
                Twin turboed LS2/T56, C6 Z06 wheels/brakes, bagged, carputer, and other stuff

88 Saab 900 Turbo

05 Saab 92-X (WRX) - Carputer, JL 300/4 to stock mains (actually sound nice) and a JL 500/1 to a JL 10W7

Comment

I just got mine today and tried it inside in my bedroom. Quickly got a lock on 6 out of 9 sats. That's not near the window either. I have a 303 and it has to sit in the window sill and takes a lot longer to barely get 3 sats. I was originally going to put this outside where my 303 sat, but I think this will go inside now. I'd prefer it not be outside anyways because I don't like the site of an antenna on my deck lid.

I'm going to check it out tomorrow with my laptop tomorrow. I'm finishing up upgrades to my carPC now.
                  Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

well damn i guess that answers that lol. Inside the car i get 6/7 sats. it goes up to 8/9 outside. Not THAT much of a difference to risk it.
                    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Inside works fine for me. On the dashboard (not even tied down yet ).
                      For sale:
                      AOpen Pandora MiniPC

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
                        Inside the car i get 6/7 sats. it goes up to 8/9 outside.
                        If you find yourself surrounded by very tall buildings that little bit of advantage may make the difference between navigating comfortably or seeing your position on the map jump from one block to another ;-)

Comment

hmm...

interesting.

I have mine outside, nondipped and went thru chicago winter A-Ok!
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=759606

FS FT Thread

96 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
                          Custom blue LED interior and Dash, Buddy club2, ViS Fenders, Phillips Ds2 Bulbs, Valeo-Fresnal ECE H7s, Mitsubishi Ballasts

Comment

Inside, hidden underneath the center console, no line of sight to the outside. Usually get 5-9 satellites.

Comment

Originally posted by FiReBReTHa
                              hmm...

interesting.

I have mine outside, nondipped and went thru chicago winter A-Ok!
                              That's great to hear, but I've read too much on people frying their components.. Glad to hear someone had good luck with it though!
                              (Picture) - me doing a wheelie on my ty 175

Comment

Working...
                              X