Can't get BU-353 to find satellites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get BU-353 to find satellites

I'm trying to get my GPS receiver to work and I can't figure out what is wrong. I installed the prolific USB-serial driver and when I use the GPSinfo tool that came with the unit I see it sending a bunch of commands but the GPS Info tab says 'No Fix' and it isn't connected to even 1 satellite.

The LED on the receiver is solid red, which indicates no fix, searching. What can I do?

I've tried this by my window in my apartment in Chicago and also at work out in the suburbs. I'd like to get at least a few satellites confirmed before I install the thing in my car.

??

because i know all the info am about to give you is inside this forum coz i had the same issue with that GPS!!!
    but here is what you can do:
    1st to let you know if it's cloudy chance are you'll not get a fix.

okay , what you can do is to open the case of the gps, inside you'll see a cap,some ppl like to call it "watch bat" coz it does look like one...any ways de-solider this cap and put back your gps, that should fix it for you, if not then it's a defect with the GPS.
    Also did you mention that your gps is an RS232 and you are using one of those USB>COM convertor...that could be your problem right there..
    HOnda Accord '94

Comment

The BU-353 is USB, so you have to install the USB - serial port driver. I was confirming I have done that it it shows up in my Device Mgr as COM4.

I am a little hesitant to take apart the GPS receiver unless I know that will fix it. If its a defective unit I want to be able to return the item and get a replacement, which I dont know if I can do if I start taking the thing apart.

I have done some searching for this problem on the forums and haven't seen much yet, but i'll keep looking.

Comment

i bought a 353 a couple weeks back that was defectived. mp3car store replaced it. I had the same issues with me as your describing
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
          i bought a 353 a couple weeks back that was defectived. mp3car store replaced it. I had the same issues with me as your describing

How'd you determine it was defective? I guess other than moving the receiver from my bedroom window to outside I don't know what else I can do without voiding any kind of return.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxxman
            How'd you determine it was defective? I guess other than moving the receiver from my bedroom window to outside I don't know what else I can do without voiding any kind of return.

Thanks.
            test it in another computer!!!
            HOnda Accord '94

Comment

Originally posted by i3igmind
              test it in another computer!!!
              I've already tested it in my PC at home and now my PC at work. same results -> no satellites.

I'm going to try to move it outside and wait a few minutes, if that doesn't work i'll exchange since I got it here at mp3car.com.

EDIT: It's amazing how a few feet around a window can make a difference. I've confirmed the receiver works now.

Comment

Yeah....she's gone. Get a new one for sure. You should lock almost instantly.
                Although some have claimed to get signal in steal buildings...I doubt that. But it's a great reciever.
                My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

Originally posted by Boxxman

Thanks.
                  I tested to see if it iwas in sirf mode using sirfdemo. It was, then i couldnt get it into NMEA mode. Few days later it started showing random funky characters in the gpsinfo software. Thats when it went back to mp3car
                  mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                  Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                  Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Working...
                  X