Help buying 353/355 with iGuidance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help buying 353/355 with iGuidance

Very confused... First it appears that I can't get a 355 as I'm using a laptop that has no PS2 port for powering. Can the packaged 355 with iGuidance sold here http://www.buygpsnow.com/iguidance-w...r-355-419.html work though? Does it come with a USB adapter? Can I buy the 353 packaged to save money?

Thanks!
    1998 Infiniti QX4

1st line under the hardware specs tab: Interface: Serial Interface
    Last line: 5' long cable from GPS receiver to USB plug.

Looks like it is USB to me. Do you have a USB port on your laptop?
    7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
    ATVMS.com

Comment

You can use a PS2 to USB adapter that comes with keyboards to power the BR-355.

Comment

It is a dell 600m. Has 2x USB, 1 parallel, and 1 serial. I am using one USB for my touch screen. Sounds like the other will go to the GPS as I can't use serial connection w/o a PS2 to power. I also want to attach an external hard drive but those seem to require two USB for powering anyways, so I've pretty much given up on that one. I'm not sure how a PS2 to USB adapter for powering would help me any as I'd still be using USB!

Thanks for your help! I'm getting excited now that my screen arrived today.
        1998 Infiniti QX4

Comment

USB hub ftw?

Comment

Originally posted by greenman100
            USB hub ftw?
            Not sure what FTW stands for. A USB hub requires a bit more for my setup as I believe I would need a powered one right... I currently have no inverter or power supply as the laptop uses a Dell DC-DC converter, the GPS powers itself through USB, and the LCD powers off 12V.

Right now I'm less worried about a USB hub for an external hard drive than hooking up a 353/355.
            1998 Infiniti QX4

Comment

Aha, I think that buygpsnow is just not describing explicitly the package. Seems to be the same as what is sold directly from inav at http://store.yahoo.com/inavcorp-store/igsomorebu.html as the iGuidance bundled with 355 and a USB cord. So with this adapter I won't need any separate power connections huh? Sweet. Plus if I ever wanted to go serial I can with another cord. ;-)
              1998 Infiniti QX4

Comment

FTW = For the win

get a 5v regulator from radioshack, will cost about $2

Comment

http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=80&catid=
                  Is this a good deal? Is this site trustable? Thanks

Comment

I guess the question now is do I buy the 353 or the 355 w/ USB adapter? The 355 w/ adapter acts just the same as the 353 - ie all the data and power goes through a single USB cord?
                    1998 Infiniti QX4

Comment

Originally posted by infinitiqx4
                      I guess the question now is do I buy the 353 or the 355 w/ USB adapter? The 355 w/ adapter acts just the same as the 353 - ie all the data and power goes through a single USB cord?
                      No, the 355 has a plug for serial + PS2. You use an adapter to go from PS2->USB, so you have serial + USB. The module gets power from the USB supply; the data still goes through the serial port.

Comment

Originally posted by bruha
                        No, the 355 has a plug for serial + PS2. You use an adapter to go from PS2->USB, so you have serial + USB. The module gets power from the USB supply; the data still goes through the serial port.
                        Seriously? When I emailed buygpsnow they said it was explicitly just a single USB connection... Glad I asked here! Appears the 353 is just less of a headache to deal with and safer in case I get another laptop w/o serial.

Thanks!
                        1998 Infiniti QX4

Comment

Originally posted by infinitiqx4
                          Seriously? When I emailed buygpsnow they said it was explicitly just a single USB connection... Glad I asked here! Appears the 353 is just less of a headache to deal with and safer in case I get another laptop w/o serial.

Thanks!
                          The 353 has a single USB, the 355 has a serial + PS2.

There are advantages to having serial over USB, serial avoids Windows hibernation issues, etc.

Comment

Yeah, I read about the hibernation issue. I think I read that using a USB hub would avoid the issue with the 353 though? Would that require always being powered or just accessory power before the laptop resumes from hibernation?
                            1998 Infiniti QX4

Comment

Working...
                            X