GPS install help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS install help!!

I have the BU-353 Waterproof GPS Receiver. I popped out the plastic cover that hides a bolt that attaches my dashboard to the car frame. This cover is located in the center of the dash right next to the windshield so its a great place to put the GPS in terms of sight of the sky.

Since it is in the center its also directly above where the usb connection it needs to be plugged into is. I figured I could notch out a bit of the plastic connector and run the wire from the top of the dash to inside the dash and it would all be neatly hidden and look nice

The problem I am having is that there is no strait line of sight, looking into the dash towards the hole where the bolt is. I need to fish the cable from the hole in the top of the dash down and foward to the front of the dash. I really dont want to have to take apart my entire dash to fish this one wire so does anyone know an easier way to do this? I have tried a coat hanger and a slim jim to do it but have had no luck so far. Any ideas would be great!
    Dual Core Atom - 512MB - 60GB SSD - 2010 Lilliput - SiRF Star III - BT - Wi-Fi - Street Deck - Rear Camera - Full Audio System

Project Log

|----------| Software
    |----------| Hardware
    |----------| Fabrication
    |----------| Installation

well I solved my own problem over the weekend... I was able to thread a 10 guage wire from the dash into the hole with a whole lot of luck involved. I realized that the usb plug would never make it through the hole so I reluctantly cut it off and used a tube crimp to crimp the freshly cut usb wire to the 10 guage cable. I was able to install it in the dash then solder the wire back together and I am happy to report that it still works and looks good.
    Dual Core Atom - 512MB - 60GB SSD - 2010 Lilliput - SiRF Star III - BT - Wi-Fi - Street Deck - Rear Camera - Full Audio System

Project Log

|----------| Software
    |----------| Hardware
    |----------| Fabrication
    |----------| Installation

Comment

Working...
    X