Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best gps receiver locations!

Hey guys.

I know that the prime location for the gps receiver would be the roof of my civic but all you guys know its not the best place to have it in "public" if you know what i mean? lol

So, ive been thinking about possible locations of my gps receiver that are outside of the car but inside the outer "shell".

For instance, i thought about placing it inside one of my side mirrors.
    Another location i thougt about was inside a bumper.

What do you guys think of these locations??

Do you guys have any more ideas like these?
    How are you guys doing with your receiver in the dash?

Thanks.
    MSI KM4M-V Mobo -- AMD Athlon XP-M 1900+ -- 512MB DDR RAM -- LinITX 7" Touchscreen -- Seagate 8.4GB HDD -- LG DVDRW -- Onboard Graphics Card -- Onboard 5.1 surround sound -- Bluetooth Dongle -- RoyalTek Saphire GPS -- M2-ATX psu

Inside one of your side mirrors may work, actually, but I would guess that the bumper wouldn't fare so well. Having the receiver on top of your car serves two purposes: 1) clear view of the sky, and 2) your car's roof or trunk lid works as the ground plane. Both enhance the antenna's ability to lock on more satellites.

For reference, I hide my antenna just under the plastic of the dash, at the center, right where the windshield meets the dash. I get a decent reception at about 6-8 satellites and it is completely hidden.

-psyrex
    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
    ...it never ends

Comment

Wow, I've never thought of the mirrors. Thats a pretty sweat idea, assuming it dosn't effect the signal too bad, kudos. I suppose in some civics you could hide it in the rear spoiler, or in a discreate shark fin roof mount antenna, which is what I'll use once I find one that I like.

Comment

I have mine hidden inside my dash and I lock on to 7-9 satellites with 7 of them always being green.

I don't understand why people always act like putting it inside the car is such a bad idea? It works great for me. I have the BU-353 with iGuidance 2.1.3

Just letting you know that maybe in your dash (or on it?) may not be such a bad idea.

Comment

i always get about 6-7 in the car, and over 8 on the hood or roof. not a HUGE deal, but more is better...
          1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
          Pictures
          Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by joego
            in a discreate shark fin roof mount antenna, which is what I'll use once I find one that I like.
            There are quite a few out there. What's wrong with the one on MP3Car?

Mine doesn't work through the windows because of tint, so I bought an external antenna which is just a little black square below the front-pass-side windshield wiper. You can't see the cord as it goes directly into the hood. You can see the square, but most people would have no idea WTF it is.

Comment

The thing is, they sometimes work inside the car and will get enough satellites to get a lock. But it always seems like if you put it outside, the lock becomes better, and your position is updated more smoothly.

I'm a fan of up on the roof, in plain sight.

Comment

I have the Garmin GPS 18 (hockey puck) magnetic base receiver mounted on the roof of my truck right near the 3rd taillight. I always get between 10-12 satellites; accuracy is about 7 ft.

Comment

7ft? pretty good accuracy.. my BU-353 is around 10m...

I have mine under the dash behind the screen.. usually gets 7-10 sats.

Comment

I put mine on the rear deck behind the rear seats, beneath the carpeted facade resting on top of the metal part of the frame back there. It's completely invisible from the outside or inside of the car. I rarely have problems getting a full lock, though I dont keep track of how many satellites I get. With the clear view out the rear window and resting on the frame back there, I think it's working out just fine.
                    A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag.

My Ride
                    My New Page

Comment

Originally posted by sebberry
                      7ft? pretty good accuracy.. my BU-353 is around 10m...

I have mine under the dash behind the screen.. usually gets 7-10 sats.
                      I have WAAS enabled; but I think that's only available in North America (Sats 35 & 47). I've gotten it down to 6.1 ft., but 7-8 is the usual. I've checked against a USGS marker in front of my house & the two corroborate.

Comment

Originally posted by cut7
                        I have WAAS enabled; but I think that's only available in North America (Sats 35 & 47). I've gotten it down to 6.1 ft., but 7-8 is the usual. I've checked against a USGS marker in front of my house & the two coroborate.
                        Including Canada?

Comment

I have my GM-210 mounted on the top corner of my windshield. I always get lock on like 7 to 9 sats. Its right under the factory tint strip, so it's completley invisable from the outside. The wires are run behund the A piller, so all you see inside the car is a 1.5" by 1" box.
                          -ZtH01
                          "It's my belief that my big balls should be held every night"

Comment

Mine is setting under a speaker grate in the front winshield of my 1gen Talon. Works great and easy to hide the wire behind the dash near the door jam. Can't tell it is there.
                            -WarDriver-
                            Server Administrator
                            Outdoor Nut

My DC to AC Inverter Mod
                            My Laptop Remote Switch

Comment

Originally posted by sebberry
                              Originally posted by cut7
                              I have WAAS enabled; but I think that's only available in North America (Sats 35 & 47). I've gotten it down to 6.1 ft., but 7-8 is the usual. I've checked against a USGS marker in front of my house & the two corroborate.
                              Including Canada?
                              It's unlikely that you'll be able to use WAAS in Canada unless you are very close to the southern border. The reason is twofold: first, the WAAS satellites are directly over the equator, thus mountains, trees, etc. block reception of the satellite. (That's because when the US government first decided to implement GPS, they chose a very low radio frequency; if they had used 5 GHz instead, we could receive indoors, under bridges, in tunnels...you get the idea.) Secondly, you are too far away from the ground reference stations to get a valid WAAS correction. However, I hear that there are plans to put 4 stations in Canada (Winnipeg, Goose Bay, Gander, and Iqaluit); a collaborated effort between the US & Canada.

Comment

Working...
                              X