Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got TomTom running on a Palm device (not PocketPC)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got TomTom running on a Palm device (not PocketPC)?

I'm trying to get TomTom going on a Palm OS Simulator and would like to know how the directory structure should be laid out for TomTom to work.

This will allow TomTom to be used on VIA based machines that can't use a PocketPC emulator.

If anyone has any experience with using Palm and TomTom together, please let me know how the files should be laid out and where.

Ta
    Current:
    [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
    [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

I have it running in pocketpc emulator

Hi, I have tomtom 5.1 running in mi carputer using de pocketpc emulator, but needs 97% cpu, I would like to try the palm emulator like you but I don,t found info about it.

Comment

yeah, me too. you can set the priority of the process to low, giving other apps more precedence over tomtom.

I'm trying to get tomtom going using this: http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/simulator/ but I keep getting some access violation and I don't know enough about the palm os to solve it (yet).

I was hoping that someone who has tomtom on a palm device could shed some light on that.
      Current:

Previous:
      [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Morning.

I'm using TomTom 5 (version 5.201 ) on a Palm T3, and have been using TomTom since v3 for 2+ years.

The idea of shifting TomTom to a Palm Simulator is very very interesting..

What do you need to know - I'm more than happy to help, especially if i can then use it in my new carpc

Wolfsbane2k
        Fitting out a Skoda Octavia GLX.
        Progress [__________] (ie nothing yet!)

Comment

fabulouls! an answer to my calls...

I install tomtom via the hotsync application and I can see the navigator to launch. But I'm not sure where tomtom looks to find it's map files etc.

where does tomtom expect them to be? memory card presumabely. in what folder?

cheers m8!
          Current:

Previous:

Comment

I can't dump a printout of the TomTom card from here, but the jist is:

TomTom Programs are on the memory card root under:
            \TomTom\
            contains data.chk, munich.bin, data05.chk , data05.vif

The map folders are located under the memory card's root as well, for example
            \Great_Britian_Plus-Map\
            contains
            CLINE.DAT
            CNAME.DAT
            CNODE.Dat
            etc etc

These are the only two directorys on the normal Memory Card.

Any other maps are copied, folder name intact, to the route of the MC, which TomTom then picks up.

Good Luck!

Wolfsbane2k

Comment

thanks. and what about locally on the device. how does tomtom install there?

I keep getting a very misinformatie error when I launch it and I'm sure it's down to incorrect naming. but I guess I'll see
              Current:

Previous:

Comment

Hmm, i'm not sure about the location of the stuff on the internal memory - i haven't played with Palms SDK at all to work out how it all runs.

However, if you copy the software and maps from the CD to a memory card, then mount that in the Palm OS, it will automatically copy the required software over to the internal memory - and from there on, you can hotsync properly.

Comment

fantastic. I'll give that a shot tonight

fingers crossed I can get this going. serial port mapping would be the next hurdle.
                  Current:

Previous:

Comment

I'm a big fan of the TomTom, after using the GO 300 on a recent trip. I'm just ordered the PocketPC version to play around with.

Comment

I've got a pocketpc version working with an emulator on the carputter, but it eats a lot or processing juice, which I would rather use for other stuff.

Im' currently trying to get it going with a palm emulator as they are less hungry.
                      Current:

Previous:

Comment

Have you got any further with this?

I hope so!

Comment

hey, I haven't got round to trying it (contrary to my promise) as I'm waiting to get my TomTom CD back from my brother.

I've also been playing with iGUidance, which isn't too bad but doesn't compare.

will let u know.
                          Current:

Previous:

Comment

Originally posted by sama
                            I've also been playing with iGUidance, which isn't too bad but doesn't compare.
                            It doesn't look as flashly but it has newer, better maps and the maps are more accurate. And it gets you going to where you need to go on a much more straightforward and logical route than tomtom.
                            Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

Comment

tomtom in the uk has pretty good maps, it also has a traffic service which when subscribed to, it reroutes based on traffic reports. it's saved my neck many times.

atop that, tomtom has some very decent camera detection plugins that use your vector + an angle to alert you of cameras more intelligently than other software. it also has full postcode lookup, and it's touch screen friendly out the box - without your plugin that is
                              Current:

Previous:

Comment

Working...
                              X