Why no locked satellites?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no locked satellites?

I've had it sitting on my balcony rail for half an hour. Do I need to turn something on? I have the com port and baud rate in iGuidance set correctly.

Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Unless you're using a COM port splitter application like XPort or GPSGate, then only one or the other will read the GPS info.
    I believe RR reads the GPS information seperately from iGuidance, so there should be a location to set the GPS's COM port within RR.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Oh so this doesn't mean it's not working?
      Ampie Case
      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

If RR can't see any GPS data coming in, then no.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have the com port in RoadRunner set properly. I don't know if there's anything else I need to do though. Or if it matters.
          Ampie Case
          256 MB DDR2 PC5400
          M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

RR uses mappoint for its data out the box, if you dont have mapoint then RR wont give you any GPS data. It can be set up to take data form free drive and mapmonkey but I dont think it can get the information from iguidance. Set iguidance up for the proper port and change RR to a port you arent using. If Iguidance works properly then everything is working ok. Open your skin in RR skin editor and look for what data stream your skin is looking for.
            If its:
            GPSSAT, GPSSPEED....... your skin is looking for mapoint
            FDSAT, FDSPEED.......your skin is looking for Freedrive
            not sure what mapmonkey is but it might cunningly be MMSAT you get the idea.
            Like I say I dont think it can do this with IG but head over to the RR forum and they will be able to tell you.
            Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
              Unless you're using a COM port splitter application like XPort or GPSGate, then only one or the other will read the GPS info.
              I believe RR reads the GPS information seperately from iGuidance, so there should be a location to set the GPS's COM port within RR.
              Do I need any special hardware to run this? Or do I just set up XPort properly and it'll give me things like speed/direction/locked satellites all from the single GPS receiver and single USB connection?
              Ampie Case
              256 MB DDR2 PC5400
              M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
                Do I need any special hardware to run this? Or do I just set up XPort properly and it'll give me things like speed/direction/locked satellites all from the single GPS receiver and single USB connection?
                You don't need any special hardware. Set up xport to split the com port of the gps receiver to 2 different one. Then assign on port to RR and the other to iG.
                Installed
                Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8 scimitar View Post
                  RR uses mappoint for its data out the box, if you dont have mapoint then RR wont give you any GPS data. It can be set up to take data form free drive and mapmonkey but I dont think it can get the information from iguidance. Set iguidance up for the proper port and change RR to a port you arent using. If Iguidance works properly then everything is working ok. Open your skin in RR skin editor and look for what data stream your skin is looking for.
                  If its:
                  GPSSAT, GPSSPEED....... your skin is looking for mapoint
                  FDSAT, FDSPEED.......your skin is looking for Freedrive
                  not sure what mapmonkey is but it might cunningly be MMSAT you get the idea.
                  Like I say I dont think it can do this with IG but head over to the RR forum and they will be able to tell you.
                  actually tha is not true.. RR has native GPS data support.. it odes not need anything else to give you "LONGITUDE, LATITUDE, ALTITUDE, SPEED, GPS SATS LOCKED"). RR gets its map information from external GPS software..(address, ETA, ETR etc..). That is why you should give RR a port number of its own..One for RR and another for your GPS software..(use a port splitter..eg XPORT)

Comment

Yup, got it working perfect on virtual ports 5 and 6. Thanks guys!
                    Ampie Case
                    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

I don't understand why RR doesn't see the number of satellites when it gets the lat/long info. I have 3 com ports from my GPS -- Streets is using one and RR another, both with NMEA. The compass and speedometer thingies work on RR, but not the number of locked satellites.

Comment

well it really deppends on the flash movie you are using..(i assume it is flash) so maybe the label is wrong inside..
                        what i mean is maybe the label used is one that gets info from a specific GPS software, (eg. map monkey = "SatCount", RR = "GPSSAT", freedrive="FDSATS"), and not directly from RR, so the label that should be used inside the SWF is "GPSSAT"
                        so maybe..

Comment

Okay I'm a dumbass, I didn't have the GPSSAT hooked to the flash deal in my skin file. Works now. Shows 12 sats most of the time.

Comment

So instead of starting a new thread, I will append to this one.

I recently re-installed everything on a new SSD. I copied the config files and skins for roadrunner so that nothing would be different. On my new system, I installed the GPS drivers and diagnostic tools (Deluo) and the diagnostics said GPS FOUND ON COM 6! So I set iGuidance 4.0 to the Com6 port and 4800bps for the respective baud rate. But now, in both iGuidance and my GPS diagnostics software, it will say 0 of 4 (or 5, 6, 7, etc.) Satellites. It can see the satellites, though, and it has displayed my latitude & longitude, but won't track the satellites.

Comment

OK, so I watched the GPS Info on the way home today. It kept bouncing back and forth between 8-12 satellites in view to 1-3 satellites in view...but never once locked in on any of them. Ironically, the UTC is being displayed, but only the time, no date.

I'm baffled!

Comment

Working...
                              X