Clear All

• CoPilot Navigator 9 vs CoPilot live 9

I noticed Dell is selling a product called CoPilot Navigator 9 here:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...s=19&c=us&l=en

Is the product the same as the one listed here:
    http://www.alk.com/copilot/laptop.asp

Thanks

It looks the same.
    I'd be willing to bet the version on Dell's website doesn't have the tracking and fleet management features that the full-blown version on ALK's website does.
    For the price, it's a good deal... Is that only w/ purchase of a Dell PC?

[EDIT]
    It appears that it's not just for sale w/ a new Dell PC. $54.00 is a good price, considering it comes with the GPS receiver.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
      It looks the same.
      I'd be willing to bet the version on Dell's website doesn't have the tracking and fleet management features that the full-blown version on ALK's website does.
      [EDIT]
      It appears that it's not just for sale w/ a new Dell PC. $54.00 is a good price, considering it comes with the GPS receiver.
      I don't think it is the same software. Close, but not the same. The version on ALK's website is Copilot "Live", while that on the Dell site is Copilot "Navigator".

I own CoPilot 8 Live, and the "Live" designation refers to the software's ability to receive realtime traffic update, connect with other CoPilot Live users, and allow realtime tracking of vehicles from a home computer via a car equiped with a mobile internet connection. This ability is not mentioned in the description of the Dell software. I've pasted the description from the Dell site and the description of the Live capabilities from the ALK site below.

However...the Dell software seems to have most other major features, and includes a USB receiver for a good price. Unless there are other specific features missing from the Dell software, that's what I'd buy if I were doing it again. It looks like I should investigate that Boost mobile internet connection for $8 a month to make my investment worthwhile!

From Dell's website:

Transform your Laptop, Tablet or Ultramobile PC into a complete GPS navigation system with CoPilot® Navigator 9 from ALK Technologies. It is designed for use while driving a vehicle and responds automatically to missed turns with map views that give you all the information you need when you’re on the go. With over 100 million addresses and 3 million points-of-interest on 6 million miles of road, the CoPilot map database has every location in the United States. Wherever you are, wherever you need to go, just type in an address, cross-street, latitude/longitude or the name of your location and CoPilot Navigator 9 will provide voice-guided, turn-by-turn directions every step of the way. It utilizes the processing power of your notebook to enhance accuracy, speed and consistency when determining your position. Its easy-to-use stop entry screens help you quickly and accurately enter your destination. With directions that are updated every second you’ll never have to take your eyes off the road—if you miss a turn or go off route, you’ll immediately receive new turn instructions. You can also choose 3D, 2D or our unique Driver Safety display in combination with clearly spoken voice guidance in 10 different languages to ensure you always know when to make your next turn. CoPilot features multiple routing options including Quickest, Shortest, RV and Toll Avoidance. Before you start driving you can use CoPilot’s Planning Mode to pre-plan your itinerary, optimize your stops and even calculate your estimated fuel cost. And with CoPilot’s Customizable Routing Profiles you can completely control what kind of roads CoPilot prefers (highways, local roads, etc.). With all these features and more, the CoPilot® Navigator 9 is a versatile travel assistant that will help you find your way anywhere.
      From ALK's website

Live Features:

Powerful navigation features give you the freedom to explore. Real-time Communication gives you the peace of mind that comes with always being connected. Live features are optional and are only usable when you have a wireless internet connection on your Laptop.*

Text Messages sent from home or office to the vehicle include large, customizable, one-touch response buttons to ensure driver safety.
      Real-Time Tracking of your travels by friends, family and loved ones over a secure Internet connection.
      Itinerary Updates including new stops and revised destinations, allow you to coordinate changes to your plans without having to pull over and enter new information.
      Communication now includes Live vehicle tracking via the Internet (live.alk.com)
      * To use Live Features you will need a data service plan through your wireless carrier.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

The $53.10 price (software + GPS receiver) seems quite attractive. It could be a stripped down version of the original product, or it could be the full version. It's hard to tell just by reading the page.

The GPS receiver seems to be a "software" type (..."It utilizes the processing power of your notebook to enhance accuracy, speed and consistency when determining your position"...)

Comment

I checked ALK website and saw copilot navigator 9 in the support section: http://www.alk.com/support/copilot_navigator9/faqs.asp

I guess I will spend some time reading the manual to see what exactly the differences are between the two products.

Edit:

Things not included in Copilot Navigator 9
          -no option to use third party gps, you must use copilot's gps
          -no live features (realtime traffic reporting, internet tracking)
          -higher systems specs (1 ghz processor) which probably indicates, as the above poster suggested, a software gps
          -no speech recognition

Comment

It's nice to see a product by ALK priced much lower than their similar products in previous years, but the removal of support for 3rd party GPS receivers doesn't seem like a move that is going to be very popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac
              It's nice to see a product by ALK priced much lower than their similar products in previous years, but the removal of support for 3rd party GPS receivers doesn't seem like a move that is going to be very popular.
              Agreed. I could live without the other omitted features, but not the ability to connect a 3rd party GPS unit.

I wonder if the data disc included with the navigator software would work to update Copilot 8's map and POI database...that might be a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac
                It comes with a supplied gps receiver, I wonder if this GPS receiver is compatible with other gps packages.
                Mobile Impact
                Highly innovative car computer multimedia/entertainment system software.
                http://mobileimpact.biz.tm

Comment

Originally posted by 3dOptics
                  Edit:

Things not included in Copilot Navigator 9
                  -no option to use third party gps, you must use copilot's gps
                  -no live features (realtime traffic reporting, internet tracking)
                  -higher systems specs (1 ghz processor) which probably indicates, as the above poster suggested, a software gps
                  -no speech recognition
                  What's interesting to me is that here: http://www.alk.com/copilot/laptop.asp

They sell the software only, without a GPS reciever, I guess that's for the people who already have the CoPilot reciever?

They do have live features, but only in Minnesota right now...who lives in Minnesota anyways?

When y'all make the mention of 'software gps' are you meaning that the software is actually doing some ofthe tracking or something along those lines? I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to that side of things. Can someone give me a quick run down of what you mean by this? or perhaps a link? I'll go try and do a quick search as well.
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

i bought it

I bought copilot navigator

My gps receiver is kinda going bad...+ I was using MS streets and trips 2006....

so I think it will work good for me... I had it shipped to the house... i will get it friday night... hope to install it friday night or sat...

I wonder if it integrates with RR... or other 3rd party apps.
                    ----------------
                    04 Corolla

Modifications:
                    Upgrading pc 99%

Progress

Comment

Originally posted by jay_tu
                      I bought copilot navigator

My gps receiver is kinda going bad...+ I was using MS streets and trips 2006....

so I think it will work good for me... I had it shipped to the house... i will get it friday night... hope to install it friday night or sat...

I wonder if it integrates with RR... or other 3rd party apps.

Looking forward to the follow-up. :-)

Comment

Further information about the "Software GPS" Technology used in the Copilot product can be found here:

http://www.software.philips.com/abou...cle-14795.html

Comment

I used it for the first time today... I loved it...

Are there things ppl want me to check for ?... let me know I will do so...

The recalculate is or a route is fast...
                          ----------------
                          04 Corolla

Modifications:
                          Upgrading pc 99%

Progress

Comment

does it really only work with the supplied GPS? does it embed into a front-end?
                            Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by jay_tu View Post
                              Are there things ppl want me to check for ?... let me know I will do so...
                              Some time ago I looked at CoPilot Live Laptop 8 and for me in that version the map quality was the show stopper. For example highways, no matter how complicated, were in my area always represented by only one single line in the map. That was a gross simplification of reality and it resulted in the product not being able to generate acceptable routing.

This might have been related just to the Canadian data, I don't know. And I suspect the version discussed here contains only US map, so I cannot ask you to take a screenshot of for example a close-up of Hwy-401 running thru Toronto :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X