X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Reciever Sending Jibberish????

I recently bought this gps reciever from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

and the software that cqame with it displays what the GPS is sending throught he com port... and this is what it is:

Code:
    unִ%u'}\w%/Uv-I~]ղ?Suv}Q^|vܺ^\PVUW']v|7ѵUU+yNٿuv'Y.U%+tR?nf]~WS]w%]|V'ҽ'՝򪗳u6%bu7UWֿ'%}*]v'>]R2tN\V_\VTTQ*uKuuUV]ꗽ}YY.ՖJu]~ֵWw^%/v9**+tq_şv_ٻҽJUtY}kU3Tut7j]Կ%ٿu~%yݲ:T%/\v՝};NyQZ\ԿVU%Kמu#Uv^RvSu]QE]VźҽUQ~]V'}uTu|7%ѽ߿Uֶ%ٿuv%Y:|%/}r6u'u]ZVq_v%]YŷV~ŚѷEvq%yu6%g7Jѵݿն'ѿuw%Y/]%+t7Tuտz+tԞtu׾VUѺ>Vvt1nvֿv_wQu/֗_VUt#n/֕vV~^WwnfU'ٿuw'%ETV~}W=nE^q^V~պt7ݿU'ٿuv%Y/~~%/|R:;.]־^]^׾vS;>WtVQWv'YEV-ٵzZ\%K*W42|7%տuw'%}Y+\v':U4s!UwUt^qW(՗8VTvvћ~U\'uV%]QT}t7ѵuٚ{Ur^|Tw%+Tv9Wz?\\}߾VttݿTܾ7Neuu־]w׶v־__}vշz+]W$+V?tngԵ6uvSu}UE^VڻѽVqV]V%]Tut7%ѽEU%ٽu~%Y*u_VuR>}:PWUֿt\VT_^^V4n7UUZ^qUv']ET^wջzܢEtP^u~YT}|7ѵu%ѿ'Y>vw%+Tv'sv}UZvSuv']QEVVhq'ݝQ	}?U**U~SU']+Vw':UvtNuvvVU~]޶U/*n_uvֶuVݟtv}tWz;UWV_v_~uW;~U]Pv;~UT]]~p'՗JY6|.յUնw'%]٢+]v':UR-Y*tUUT^T^wVvV~TunvUZVSuv'UE]Vp'kޥ]Qw?Jѽu߿U%ٽv%YY:U~'>\RnfݿUݲ{VqW}ETv~zE]P^}~}՚Tut?%e׶'u'}Y+vտw%*UVJeTv^]VU]]Utѿz;TUV߼]w]Vݾ4JeuvUW%?VqW;*/UtvSu}UE]~۷~VPwUW%Yut7%ѽUU%u%Y*]v%:tR>;%|~UԟtT~պY'UݿUݲ[vs_]ſu~uqVTV%UT}t7ѵŷ]%ٿuv%>T%+\r5gQU~VQ}w%uvV~͚ѷE]PW*u|uTVq]%Y*]߿~%.}R7T~_|^u}Vvuwzꪲ;־V]Wֿ]WU\ݖtJeW]ݷUw%?W^qS7rkU\rVq]%]ſVvٛ~vqVu^}ٚTu7Jѵ*QU%ֵv%YY*]v':uR>]:RuU|VW\_vvVt*TtW9~u\TVsW~'}EVvٻM~}PWUW%]UTu}յE%~%}+}ݿv%.}vtn~U_VsW'QE]^q'Yew|>%7Y\VS}޵%Y*]~%/}R^UvTV߿vuV^w1n^֖TY%VѪ7T\<ue]}׶u%+~V_qW7r>TRVquֽv%]y}_6,QT'u^]պu|7UUv;{uP|t]v'*tR>}*XUU־tW\^$tvS9*:vS_vTזUw8W~ETQ^}'U}t7j߿U%uuw%Y>U~%/uvҵ'uw%ٽuֽv%]yEt_6ͺzܲE~P_v~}YTut7յŷw%ѽu'Y/u՟v%;UvtJuVVVU*ٺoUTT޿5wuU/uOTV}tߟ՟5uvuW~V_V8QԴ6u^^QUԵv'QE^V7z{uPwVW%Y}u7k׶Nѽu%Y+~ݟv~	|;%NU\Vt^W^VV~unf~uղ_vQu֕}Evv>q%ݕY겗u>'}|7%j׷w'%}Y+~ݿ~%.]VէgS>U[~S}~}ſ]vvu[տnETQ^u~'}ٚT}7'յZW'ѿuԽw']:u~'>\R|Net]|^Vvvwz/֞tWwԿ\wVQ;uuW~;uV^w^vW%}nvUZ^Q}޵%]qşu*
    ]_\'u^}ٚTu7%ѽJ]'ѿuԝw%>T%.\r*TU}TwT]׾vUUWT~Q]]ſU~vpWտnE|Q_}~UT}u7U}v;uT^t]v%*TR'uvu^vQuԕv]UE]VڿzܲEUPwVV%]unJE_'ѿ'YY/vշw':\v5uVt_VUշTܾ2tN]}~ԟ]v~վ־T}wuW~OvUVVw^W^w_p1UٞtWTVSWv'}EVvٺq%ݕłkvwV>%|%{w'%Y+^ݿv':UR7**tUUTUy+]vv[;_T]pvSuֽUE]^۷zܶſ]PwVW%]}7j]%%Y٢*]v':U7TuUUWt^QWkٜ&U,٥	p%Ղ_vsV7%u~NEw'%}Y+|ݿv%.]VUeV^V}VUݗ|:}vWu^ԟ]VT/Ѻ.ݗuW~ݿUW^wW%Dq1uU]t~\T]VvwٺҽvvTw%]UTu7ѵnU%ѿuv'>T%/\r2U;%%UTV|W^tV|T|4|nfU}_^qWv']ʴ\֕]Vt~^\'u^}Tu7Jѽ^w'ѿuv'Y*V':uR7:}nvԼUݲ{Vq_']EU_ջ%J'u^}ٚTut7ѽuEu%ٽuw%.v%/|v/u\^wTv~\^UtU^twwݿԿUvvtվ5U]U*}u?W_V_uS;o]tRvQuֽv%]5~W>q%ՕޥUٻ	|7%w'uw%Y;V~'>^R>}*ruU|VTVTWT^t</2%6u^~Su}UE}v;ںѽ%ݕ*Sv>'t7սNU%ѿuw%>V%/\r'u}UzV;{TPvt_2EVrV|^ut7ѽu%ѿuv'y.u%?\vu^uv]V]UV^t~+|uVןTv)YE_]u~+u_V^W_v_u%r꽧|RUي{]PV|_4ѽ'ݕUf|7%ѿe׶w'ѽuܵ%y+~~%>]V)R}u/jtU%+VT]\u6u^~Su}QE]wq%U%uV%]Tu}7nݶW'ѽuw%]+~~'>]Rr꽵*]T~s]]ſ}vś?nſVq^U~}UTu}սժe}%'YY+}տv%*UR7eTvV\~TT^U+ݽ=uJ]UYٲN\W~TՖuUVֵtV^VW^v򿵕*:vS_uTԟUTu[nETQ~]v'uT}|?%տeWNѽu']/vշ~':\7tWv_tv}V~~ur꽧JUVQuw%]YE^we^pW]_]u?JѽQտU%v%Y*Uv':vR>:nvuZ^Q}v%]]ş}_v~EVq^v~}Tu|7%嶕'ѿ'Yٲ*Vw':WR*YeTvVTvT]Vvu[ѿz+޶^UyQq*ݖ}vu͝uNuuv׵TW~VW^v/VPNѽu~ݕY[UWZ\ߥuV%]56%|7%o'ѿ'Yٺ*Vw':TR**tU-U*]V~~uw9꿿uVRQYVp^ֶ^WߴݲEWpWVV%]QTu_'ٽ%Y*]߿~'.}R7}gQUݲ[Vq6*UvpTuvٛ~^T%ٚoUS42t?սZu'ѿum?^TRtUrueTvVTv]T^v~[7~Vܗ^UVּuV^Tն2tNuv׶׶tV~V_V4'sv}ղ_vQW~UEVVwp'ݗjޥQ^SI}~NUw'^׾W|r\\VU)T]UT^T^w^VV|'Su~vQuԵv%բE]wܲEVQV]^]}t7ѽzU/Jٽuv%Y>]v%+tv;W9*uRQY^Pv|EVpWVV]uu7Zj׿}'%}Y+~ݿ~'>\vNut-kݿ}}}w\\uJeWu^ԟ}Vߖ|տuWUv{z;]V^W^v^vs!U䙟Tt~s]ٲETvջҽuP~TV%]UTut?ѽzu/Jٽu~VץyYVu[n*UU3\V_|vV4:}nv6uZ^Q}%uşv~՚z]]P_vV%]QTuu7'~]%ѿ'Y:Tw%*TR56]ղ^~Su޽}ղE]v%~ܲEUQV]W'uu7ѽZ]%ٿֽ%y٪*Uv%+tr?uuV]wTV-ut|72|N]]v+UZUV^TUՕUvUVY_ݿT_V_~wW;*uUeU%ѿuԵv'QEVV4ܲE~pW^ޥyTut7'ѽ{U+Jٽuֽ%Y*]w%+ur>:Ru}T޶wTWT_^^^4|nvU{Vq,*UVpTU_Ż%O'u~}Tu|7%eW'ٽuv%YY*]~'.}Rt2ѽUݲ{Vq_v']şU-*/t~^t%ٚ*Su?ѽeu%ѽu~'yk^vv%+TvuvuVlٕ^֕UUݟ]Ծ}Tt6NewuV}w߾VՖ]}ws7nVUwݲtn~u_vSW~겗_TնUW2q'jޥuW%Yu|7UVq_w%];~~%.\V6t;*]UT_t^v^Vtut+Y'S6u^^QuԽv%UE]wu{ѽnEUP~VW%ݥ>'7'uվU'ٽw%Y*]ߟv'.}R7gQݿU]_VqWٜ:UvzܢEtQ~VV'QT}u7j]%'yY+ݟw%*WR|JeTvVu*٪Qe\߿T:tJ]UwֿuVtwٺOuWvֶtWV_^T~uݲ[vs+*U^tUUVѻp%O%kUS427TU^q]%]Y*\v':]R72|;)]uqjT]V׾tW;:URVQWv']QE^Vp'jߥ5V%]Wu|7%ѽU'ѿuԕv%ٲ>V%?\Rungv}ZVS}w%]QşvW~պzݲE~pWvV]yVu|7%]'ٽֵv%Y_T^w':TR>}JTּWt^ݿVvt*JuUU]Yu֖]vQuuvWz꺲;uv~W_V~t9*.rVqWw']EU_wћp%՗QJYTu|7տu'ѽuv'Y٪/vv%*UR7U(P}UE\ܷvTvWVٲuۑ;;trVQ}w%U^V~zܲE]PW^V%]QTu
    now i'm no expert but that doesn't look like NMEA protocall to me?

what could be the problem, in Destinator it says GPS cannot be found.

any help greatly appreciated

Check your baud rate setting maybe? It should be set at 4800 and nothing else.

Comment

It was already set to 4800... could it just be a faulty unit? or am i missing something obvious?

Comment

If it has a SIRF mode vs NMEA mode, that could be the issue.
        Or you could have gotten a bad unit. Hopefully the seller will work with you on replacing it.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Okay... it's not a mode problem, but i was wondering if perhaps the unit could be trying to "initialise" and find/lock onto satelites for the first time? Because I am yet to try the reciever outside in the open. Will give this a shot today.

Comment

i've had that happen to gps units in the past and yes its sending sirf messages instead of NMEA. I fixed my issues by opening the unit.. removing the battery then reinstalling to reset it.
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

But is that what Sirf protocal looks like? If it is then i'll give opening it up a shot, but otherwise i don't really want to risk losing warraty because i tried to repair it myself.

Comment

yes that looks just like the stuff i saw with a defective bu-353. If it has a warranty send it back

Comment

SiRF Demo could be used to switch from SiRF to NMEA mode

Comment

I've contacted the seller on ebay, hopefully i'll hear back from him soon. Luckily he's actually based in Australia (where i'm from) and not hong kong *yay*

Comment

Originally posted by JelloBello
                      I've contacted the seller on ebay, hopefully i'll hear back from him soon. Luckily he's actually based in Australia (where i'm from) and not hong kong *yay*

He says that NO WARRANTY is provided on another listing of that same receiver. The best inexpensive US GPS Receiver I have ever used is the Holux GM-210 or OEM related like Zenstar. They are very reliable and truely "Waterproof"! I have quite a few brand new, let me know if you are interested.

Comment

all u really need to do is remove that battery.. if it fails again.. just remove the battery for good. It should still work.

Comment

Working...
                        X