X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Galileo Satellite Cracked

Anybody over in Europe taking advantage of this yet? LOL

http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/07/09/050219.shtml
    7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
    ATVMS.com

why only europe?

Comment

Because in Europe you have to pay for GPS, because it is not government funded.
      ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
      Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
      All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
      Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

Comment

I see.. Didn't know that. I guess i need to read up on gps. I keep forgeting the satellites orbit with us.. so im guessing the satellites above Europe are privately owned so they use the cryption to fund it. hhmm any ideas on how they will retaliate?

Comment

Originally posted by ODYSSEY
          Because in Europe you have to pay for GPS, because it is not government funded.
          Pfff... Galileo is free here too. What differs is the number of available services : There are five levels in Galileo where US Gps system only have 2.

Galileo Basic accuracy (what we all use for carputers) is free of charge, just like US gps system. Higher accuracy and additional services aren't.

Galileo is compatible with actual GPS system, in fact, you may already have use the first sat to get a fix.
          Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

A main driver why Galileo was put in place was because the US could just turn it off when they want. That's the quirk of a goverment funded project. In Afghansitan it was switched off for the entire region. While that's good advantage for a country with laser guided missiles that's attacking people who fight with sticks stones, it's not good for businsses in the area that critically rely on these services.

those are my 2 cents (euro cents that is )
            Current:
            [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
            [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

I reckon if the US built and maintained those satellites (at a cost of ~US$400m a year), they should be allowed to play with the "on/off" switch.

GPS is not just for laser guided missiles. Even for something as mundane as ground forces deployment over difficult terrain, GPS is invaluable. Not to mention the ability to describe exactly where friendly and hostile forces are on a featureless terrain.

In any case Galileo is not going to be fully operational till at least 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by piabu
                I reckon if the US built and maintained those satellites (at a cost of ~US$400m a year), they should be allowed to play with the "on/off" switch.
                I agree, which is why I'm happy it will not be the only system around.

GPS is not just for laser guided missiles. Even for something as mundane as ground forces deployment over difficult terrain, GPS is invaluable. Not to mention the ability to describe exactly where friendly and hostile forces are on a featureless terrain.
                I didn't say GPS had anything to do with laser missiles. I was referring to the super technologically advanced US attacking Afghanistan's men of sticks and stones. There are many methods for determining position without the use of satelites.

In any case Galileo is not going to be fully operational till at least 2010.
                yes, not fully. howeer I would guess we should see some regions working prior to others.
                Current:

Previous:
                [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

By the way GPS is not owned by the us government...it is owned by the US Military..
                  Galileo is the european system which is far superior to GPS. there will be delays for it to be operational 2009-2010. but it will not be controled by any military neither american nor afghany..
                  which can be AWARE of my whereabouts at any time it requires..

pay for it....yes i think we will eventually have to pay for more services from galileo..but to get what GPS is providing today and even more ...will be FREE

Comment

Originally posted by Nomader
                    it is owned by the US Military..
                    which is owned by the us government

Comment

Originally posted by FC3S
                      which is owned by the us government

Comment

I believe actually that it is the US militaty that owns the US government

Comment

no, it's bushmen
                          Current:

Previous:

Comment

Originally posted by sama
                            no, it's bushmen
                            and who owns the bushmen?????

Comment

The bushes.

Comment

Working...
                              X