Help with BU-353 please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with BU-353 please

So I've tried searching but can't find anything that matches this error. I have a BU-353 and WinXP SP2. I installed the latest USB-Serial drivers and plug in my GPS. I see the COM port in device manager. However, the red light doesn't turn on, and when I run a scan in gpsinfo it says:

COM3: -----> NO GPS Receiver

It's weird because when I first plugged it in yesterday it worked, then something must have happened and now it doesn't even seem to turn on. The computer recognizes something when it's plugged in and loads the COM driver though.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Edit: This is on an IBM T41 if that helps.

I was having trouble with my bu353. It was working fine one day and then the next I was trying it, and no matter what I did I could not get it to work.

I searched around a bit and found out there's a battery inside the device, and I think it keeps some temporary memory for what port it's plugged into or something like that. When you start switching it from one port to the next it will stop working. The unit says to unplug for X amount of time for the device to reset itself, but I tried that and it still didn't work.

Since I was impatient and didn't feel like waiting till another day I opened it up and wanted to temoprarly remove the battery to see if it would work, but I accidently tore it right off, and it started working immediantly, and has been fine since. I think the only difference is it takes a little longer to get it's first lock, but then all is fine afterwords.

Comment

Thanks, so I've opened it up but all I see is what looks like a few small panels that are soldered on. Do I haev to remove one of those to get to the battery/capicitor? Thanks again.

Comment

The GPS units never knows to wich port it is connected, it's a hardware piece not a personal computer, it just send out data and receive commands like any other serial device.

Comment

Working...
        X