Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin Mobile PC - No On-ScreenKeyboard????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Mobile PC - No On-ScreenKeyboard????

I hope I am just missing something, but I just recieved the new Garmin Mobile PC software in the mail and it looks great. One BIG problem though, I can not find any on-screen keyboard. Could the Garmin software engineers be really that stupid and design a touchscreen friendly piece of software and have no onscreen keyboard?

I hope its just me. I've been on hold with Garmin Tech support for 30+ min hoping to find an answer.

hidden in plain sight.

I hope that there is something that you overlooked and it does have an OSK. If it doesn't, perhaps someone can put one in it. *cross fingers*

Comment

Originally posted by Bivio View Post
      I hope that there is something that you overlooked and it does have an OSK. If it doesn't, perhaps someone can put one in it. *cross fingers*
      I spent almost an hour on the phone with Garmin tech support until they finally tracked down a programmer. The answer was a big NO! They told me to use the windows on-screen keyboard. Crazy, and it sucks.

Comment

oh boy I hoped they would get it right.

Comment

Garmin's primary market isn't PC users.
          It doesn't surprise me that their PC software product is lacking features the vehicle computer hobbyist would find useful.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            It doesn't surprise me that their PC software product is lacking features the vehicle computer hobbyist would find useful.
            Yep thats been proven on many software releases
            CarPuter Progress:
            Planning:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
            Hardware Buying:-> [||||||||||] 100%
            Software:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
            Installing:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
            Current Project= Making skins in photoshop...

Comment

Yes, but this software was targeted at mobile users and was designed to be particularly good for UMPC's and tablet PC users. Its right on the box!

Every Garmin Touchscreen product has a on-screen keyboard, why the heck would they take it out here?

It makes no since at all.

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post

Comment

Do they feel it might interfere with the sale of their complete GPS units?

Maybe they just figured touchscreens are not that prevalent.

Go figure.

Comment

Perhaps. But regardless, we all know it would have been extremely easy for them to leave in the keyboard. The software is almost exact replica of the Nuvi interface, but without the dang keyboard. I hate osk's, but which one is the best and most stable out there?

Originally posted by BrianC72bgt View Post
                  Do they feel it might interfere with the sale of their complete GPS units?

Maybe they just figured touchscreens are not that prevalent.

Go figure.

Comment

maybe they took into consideration that UMPCs and Tablet PCs already have an OSK from the OS.

just my 2 cents...
                    Trouble deciding on car speakers? Clicky Clicky
                    Speakers: DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 Link
                    Subwoofer: removed
                    Amplifier#1 (Front Stage): DLS Ultimate A4
                    Amplifier#2 (Sub) removed
                    Carputer: Removed for tablet install

Comment

rijndael your right on target I spoke with a Garmin rep today and they said it was geared for laptops but more geared toward people who have umpc's because they already have a osk (on screen keyboard) already. So now all we need is one of the savy folks around here to make a plugin for centrafuse, roadrunner, and streetdeck so that we can use it inside of our frontend's

Comment

I'm looking at either Garmin Mobile PC or Garmin Mobile 10, do any of you know if Mobile 10 has an OSK?

Comment

big question, can you import any of the open source or non garmin branded maps.

Comment

It figures. I just ordered it then I read about missing keyboard. Apparently, the engineers never used a UMPC input panel. Especially on my Q1, its going to be a real pain. Shouldn't I be able to use the keyboard in RR?
                            I'm new here BTW..so Hello all!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sgeorge1970 View Post
                              It figures. I just ordered it then I read about missing keyboard. Apparently, the engineers never used a UMPC input panel. Especially on my Q1, its going to be a real pain. Shouldn't I be able to use the keyboard in RR?
                              I'm new here BTW..so Hello all!

Steve
                              yea shud be easy enuf to make a skin, that embeds he window with a decent size keyboard
                              CarPuter Progress:
                              Planning:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
                              Hardware Buying:-> [||||||||||] 100%
                              Software:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
                              Installing:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
                              Current Project= Making skins in photoshop...

Comment

Working...
                              X