Garmin Mobile PC 2014 Maps install - Success

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Mobile PC 2014 Maps install - Success

This was a point of concern when Garmin officially announced that they will no longer officially support Garmin Mobile PC.
    I have done some research and I see that the software is still available for sale on Garmin's website however I do not know nor does Garmin list specifically what map version it comes with.

Anyway I purchased and downloaded the 2013 maps of North America for the Garmin Nuvi ( any model will suffice) and was successfully able to copy it in my Garmin folder on the hard drive of my CarPC in place of the 2012 maps and they work just fine.

Just thought I'd post this as I did not see any threads regarding this after performing a search on these forums.
    I hope this will help out those who are thinking about getting the software for their CarPC and those on the fence due to the lack of support from Garmin.

09/13/2013: Updating subject line as I have installed 2014 maps successfully.
    Last edited by Dluvr22; 09-23-2013, 02:08 PM.
    2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
    Gigabyte Z97 mITX Intel Mobo, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5-4590S 3.0GHz Proc, 320 GB Hard Drive, Dual 12' VGA HDMI DVI touchscreen monitors,....
    http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-...avalanche.html

so you are basicly saying that you can get newer maps from a portable device to work on our car PC??
    CarPc
    Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Comment

Sounds good.Any tips or tricks for the maps.was it just a copy over and remame or did you need to unlock your purchased maps for gmpc to use them.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Not sure it's that easy - I think a little step is missing. Garmin maps are locked to the Device you purchase them for and in the SW version of GMPC that is the PC it was installed on, however as the PC is no longer a recognised GPS HW device supported by Garmin, you cannot "officially" download maps for PC HW-linked GMPC from Garmin.

I have GMPC linked to my Garmin X20 USB Receiver. This is a Hardware device (same as a Garmin GPS) and maps can be purchased, downloaded and installed as with any GPS device.

On SW registered GMPC you can't do that. However you can still install maps in unauthorised ways. Posting any info for that on the Forum may be against the terms of use for this Forum.

GMPC SW uses the same standard maps as most Garmin portable GPS devices.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

EDIT: I have also placed 2013 maps from my Portable GPS device into GMPC SW(reverted back to SW registration). I have been doing this for a few years since they killed support for GMPC about 6 months after I purchased it.
        Last edited by Mickz; 03-14-2013, 12:28 AM.
        Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

That was my understanding too.i was assuming nothing had changed. .unless old mate knows somthing we dont.

Comment

Actually is gmpc still for sale from garmin?

Comment

The missing step is Unlocking them.
              Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

Originally posted by camo.b View Post
                Actually is gmpc still for sale from garmin?

Don't think so but it can be downloaded from a lot of places - there is no difference between the HW or SW locked versions, only a step during installation which can be changed easily anyway.

Comment

I think i know that step and those places...;-). But still its nice to know you can buy updated maps and they do work with gmpc.would still love spoken street names....

Comment

Yes I'll have to look at street names as well. Still a pain that Win8 broke spoken Street names though.

Comment

What!!! Didnt even know they worked.wow im behind the times.

Comment

Hmmm. I did not have to unlock mine. The version I downloaded was not locked to a specific device. It was a simple matter of extracting the file I needed and adding to the GMPC folder. My SW did not reset and need re-registration either.

I must have been lucky.

As far as windows 8 support I have been busy so I have not been able to work further on getting Microsoft Anna to Windows 8 but it is still something I will look into.
                        2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
                        Gigabyte Z97 mITX Intel Mobo, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5-4590S 3.0GHz Proc, 320 GB Hard Drive, Dual 12' VGA HDMI DVI touchscreen monitors,....

Comment

This is awesome, I really didn't want to give up my GMPC, still my favorite GPS package. Thanks for posting your results.
                          My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

The only way a downloaded Map file will work Unlocked is if the Map file had already been patched (unlocked). With Win8 the problem for spoken street names is not so much the Voice files but the TTS engine in Win 8.

Comment

Here is my latest Update.

My plan of attack for this was to either import the Microsoft Anna speech files from one of my Windows 7 machine to one of the windows 8 ones or somehow rename one of the existing voices in Windows 8 to Microsoft Anna as I would not give up on being told it just would not work.

After countless hours of playing around with my registry I realized it would be easier to rename one of the voices than to try to import Microsoft Anna from Windows 7 to 8.

Anyway long and short of it all I am able to get windows 8 to see a new voice profile as well as speak sentences and also GMPC to recognize my duplicate of Microsoft Zira that I renamed as Microsoft Anna on my test mule.

It is now 1 AM my time so I am unwilling to go outside and make the same configuration changes to the registry in my CarPC to test at this moment but I'll be testing it out sometime tomorrow or so if I have the time.
                              2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

Comment

Working...
                              X