Streets & Trips 2009 vs. MapPoint 2009

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streets & Trips 2009 vs. MapPoint 2009

I've used S&T 2007 in the past and plan to upgrade to a 2009 version of the software. Which software package is better for navigation/POI's?

The nav engine is identical.
    S&T is geared more toward business or commercial users while MapPoint is more of a consumer-level package.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

POIs and GPS functionality are identical in both, MapPoint 2009 and Streets & Trips 2009. The only advantage, if you are a programmer, is the ability to control MapPoint programmatically -- something that cannot be done w/S&T.

Comment

So MapPoint would be the better choice?

Comment

Originally posted by crooper View Post
          So MapPoint would be the better choice?
          Based on the criteria you set forth (POIs and navigation), it would be either/or.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            The nav engine is identical.
            S&T is geared more toward business or commercial users while MapPoint is more of a consumer-level package.
            I think you meant to flip-flop that... S&T is consumer level... MP is business/commercial...
            Jim
            2012 Honda Pilot (In Progress)
            2010 Honda Accord (After the Pilot)
            2008 Honda VTX1800N

Comment

Okay I admit I didn't search first (oh no I'm a hypocrite!), thinking that maybe there'd be a CarPC-oriented answer. Here's what I found on an official site:

How is MapPoint different from Microsoft Streets & Trips?
              MapPoint includes all the routing capabilities and points of interest content of Streets & Trips, but is predominantly a business mapping application. Streets & Trips does not include business data mapping. Only MapPoint contains the analysis capabilities that enable business users to plot database information and analyze business and demographic information on a map to identify key trends in their businesses.

So, Streets would be the better (simpler) CarPC choice.

Comment

So, Streets would be the better (simpler) CarPC choice.
                Perhaps yes, but not necessarily. MapPoint can be controlled programmaticly, so it may be easier to integrate it into a front end.

Comment

Well I have my RR buttons set up to work pretty nicely for 2007. Hopefully they'll be similar in 2009.

Comment

Well I have my RR buttons set up to work pretty nicely for 2007. Hopefully they'll be similar in 2009.
                    I recently upgraded to 2009 (due to a carpc crash and rebuild) and am having a heck of a time with the sendkey commands in RR. See my post here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/road...6-skin-10.html If you have any suggestions, please post them.

MS has done a great job at the route planning side with this software but still does a crappy job at the nav side. The only feature enhancement I saw was "Big Buttons". Technical speaking, it might work well enough without the sendkey stuff but I can't stand that fact that the button sets are on the top and not on the side, taking up valuable resources on my screen. Seriously, with the buttons and guidance on there is not much room left for the map.

If I can't get the sendkeys to work, this maybe the year I finally switch to iGuidance

Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X