Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Navigator 6 - Europe - coming next week

For those of us in Europe

Saw this today on the Directions web site. Sounds good!

http://directions.ltd.uk/laptop-navi...ming-next-week

I consider the current version to be good, this version seems even better.

Graham

Graham, thanks for the info! It looks very impressive. 3D mode, etc.

Comment

it seems very good...thanks for the link

Comment

thats looks cool, i think i might send some questions to the support about SDK support, Skin possibility and touchscreen capabilities.
        Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

What we need?

Is this what we need? Anyone done betatesting, or tested it for our purpose in any other way?

Comment

this looks good!

if someone could integrate it into a front end, that'd be great

Comment

anyone have tried it?
              Software [|||||||||-]
              My Own RR Skin [|||-------]

8" LCD TS 1024 x 768 - Epia M10000 - M2 ATX - 512 Mb - 40 Gb - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Video Editor - Sitecom BT Dongle - GPS BT-77
              RoadRunner - Destinator 6 - Waiting for RRMobile

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                For those of us in Europe

Saw this today on the Directions web site. Sounds good!

I consider the current version to be good, this version seems even better.

Graham
                A very new feature I haven't seen in any nav soft yet: truck limitations!

I get that request all the time from truckdrivers! If only CF/Destinator had this...
                List of front-ends/usefull apps
                XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

My copy arrived today and I've installed it on my desk PC. First impressions are that it's completely different from v4.n, much more like the interfaces seen on Pocket PC and dedicated devices and good for touch screens. Unfortunately I won't be able to test it in the car for a while as my car PC is in the house waiting for me to find the time for an upgrade.

Would be interested to hear of others' experiences.

Graham

Comment

Shame there isn't a demo available, all looks very interesting, would even consider using the sdk on the older version to write a gps fe from it, even more so if available for V6.

Comment

I'm very interested in this. My maps for Destinator are well out of date. I have Navigator 4 but it's not very car friendly, and would love to upgrade to this.

Has anyone started using it yet in their systems??

Blister

Comment

I ordered it today, hoping to receive it sometime next week, i think i will write a review then, my carpc is hungry for a proper gps application and some new maps.
                        Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Originally posted by _dopehead_ View Post
                          I ordered it today, hoping to receive it sometime next week, i think i will write a review then, my carpc is hungry for a proper gps application and some new maps.
                          I ended up ordering this yesterday anyway, it just looked too good to leave alone. Received it today and installed it on the carPC. I've only been able to test it in my lunch hour so far, but first impressions are pretty good.

The GUI is very nice! So I set to work connecting the GPS mouse (com port 5), this didn't show up in the navigator settings for some reason, so I set the com port to 9 and I was connected. I also looked at some of the other setting options and changed them to what I thought I might need.

Plotting my first destination was simple using the postcode, but couldn't find anywhere to input a house number (that might be something I'm doing wrong though). Then I set off, voice prompts are clear and precise and the display is excellent. My only niggle is that when driving down a straight road the direction of the road on screen is at a slight angle. That is actually quite hard to explain, with Destinator if it was a straight road then the road would point to 12 o'clock, with navigator it points to 1 o'clock?? I have played about with auto zoom and snap to GPS and this doesn't seem to make a difference. Like I said it's more of a niggle.

The odometer is a nice touch, and a few of the other features may come in handy in the future. I have yet to find out how to import speed cameras, so if anyone know please tell me, if I find out before that I will post.

I'm going to need some help trying to embedd this into road runner, as I wouldn't know where to start, or even know if it's possible.

I'll edit this post as I go. Hope this helps.

Blister

Comment

My only niggle is that when driving down a straight road the direction of the road on screen is at a slight angle.

Navigator 4.n was the same. I assumed - without any evidence at all - that it was due to the difference between true North and Magnetic North.

I too haven't worked out yet how to use the camera feature.

Graham

Comment

Just received it in the mail today, had a quick look on my laptop, and it looks very nice, menu buttons are big, generally a good impression compared to destinator based gps as i am running now. I will make screencaps when i get it running with a gps attached.
                              Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Working...
                              X