No announcement yet.

Embedded Design Book without UML?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedded Design Book without UML?

Does anyone know of a good beginners (yet thorough) book on Embedded System Design, that isn't based on UML? I've looked at and, but I'm just not sure. Right now I'm plowing through "Computers as Components" and it just seems like overkill for a small project.
    It's been a while...

Embedded design covers a pretty broad range of topics.

Is there any particular aspect of embedded design you are interested in? Hardware design? Firmware/software design? I/O interface circuit design? Programming in VB/.NET?

Each one of the individual pieces has a good number of books on it.

At an oversimplified high level, embedded system design is microcontroller selection, firmware development, and adding I/O interface circuitry to mate your microcontroller with your target application environment.

If you are doing a custom design for your small project, then you'll need a little bit of digital hardware, software, PCB layout, and analog circuit design knowledge.

There's also off-the-shelf boards with simple I/O and microcontrollers ready for your custom software application.

Mark Stubbs

Why would you need UML in embedded development ?
      Car pc integration with ease
      Car mediacenter

Well, the book I'm reading uses it to create classes of objects (such as displays, Inputs like knobs, etc) as well as models to show the behavior and interaction of functional blocks. Like, in a top-down design process it's used in the transition from the 'requirements' to 'specification' to account for everything, make debugging easier later, and confuse me a far. Some classes and/or objects will be code, some are groups of hardware, or discrete peices of hardware. And its supposed to "encourage design by successive refinement and progressively adding detail to the design, rather than rethinking the design at each new level of abstraction."

I like the object oriented idea, and never thought of it for anything other than software, but I'm starting to see the usefulness.
        It's so formal, and there are so many different diagrams... Oh well, back to the grindstone.
        It's been a while...