Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killed my Acer Laptop... or not?

Hi Guys,

I tried to solder two wires on the power button of my Acer aspire 1802WSMI but i think i screwed it up... the button broke off and there is no way to get it back on because the pins on the motherboard got to hot and are gone

My question is: is there a way to power-on a notebook (this notebook) without using the power button??

Well all solutions require you to turn on your notebook at least 1 time to configure everything. But assuming you can some options are:

usb/ps2 keyboards with a power button (Will need to set both in software and BIOS and will only work if the BIOS supports it)

WOL -> (Will definately need to setup wake on lan, and then you will need another timing devices that sends out the MAC address and IP address to your computer's ethernet port. Could be tricky in a car)

Try soldering the power button again. And what pins on the motherboard are gone? And if you got it hot enough to do that, you probably melted quite a few layers of PCB, which results in a dead mobo. So buy a new mobo from ebay, and pop it in. Then make sure you are using a very very very low power soldering iron. The $5 ratshack 15W iron will work fine for a couple of days before the tip corrodes and it is worthless. But I doubt soldering a button is going to take so many days with the soldering iron on. And for $5, pretty good quick replacement.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
      Well all solutions require you to turn on your notebook at least 1 time to configure everything. But assuming you can some options are:

usb/ps2 keyboards with a power button (Will need to set both in software and BIOS and will only work if the BIOS supports it)

WOL -> (Will definately need to setup wake on lan, and then you will need another timing devices that sends out the MAC address and IP address to your computer's ethernet port. Could be tricky in a car)

Try soldering the power button again. And what pins on the motherboard are gone? And if you got it hot enough to do that, you probably melted quite a few layers of PCB, which results in a dead mobo. So buy a new mobo from ebay, and pop it in. Then make sure you are using a very very very low power soldering iron. The $5 ratshack 15W iron will work fine for a couple of days before the tip corrodes and it is worthless. But I doubt soldering a button is going to take so many days with the soldering iron on. And for $5, pretty good quick replacement.
      I also was thinking of Power on USB/PS2 but there are no PS2 ports on the laptop and i dont know if there is an option in the bios for Power on USB.

I know acer (and many other manufactures) lock down there BIOS so you can only set minimal options (like boot device prio and bios passwords e.d.)

I think i am screwed... i looked on the web and i cant find a mainboard for the Acer aspire 1802WSMI.

Does someone else know where to get them?

Comment

have you tried just dhorting out the pins (PCB tracks where the pins were) that will simulate a power switch and if it powers up and all its fine you can always solder the switch at two different points onthe same track.

Comment

Originally posted by thebranded View Post
          have you tried just dhorting out the pins (PCB tracks where the pins were) that will simulate a power switch and if it powers up and all its fine you can always solder the switch at two different points onthe same track.
          I messed it up so much that i dont think thats possible anymore... i will post a picture asap so you can see what i have done

Comment

Working...
          X