HDTV Over the Air for your CarPC!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDTV Over the Air for your CarPC!!

I got a Pinnacle PCTV HD USB 2.0 Pro Stick off ebay and decided to try it out and OMG... its amazing.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...+Pro+Stick.htm

Comes with a little rabbit ear type antenna but even with that, i can pick up like 10 channels here in LA area.

I had no clue there were HD broadcasts over the air that you can pick up with any regular antenna. As long as you are in any major metropolitan area you should have a bunch of channels. You can check how many channels are broadcast in HD signal by going to titantv.com and filter for HD over the air.

I have a car antenna which i never really used in the past with a built-in amplifier. As soon as I connected it to my carputer... i was simply baffled.
    I was getting high resolution TV in my car, just in time for NBA finals.

One minor drawback is that the pinnacle media center program that comes with it is total crap. Eats up HUGE amounts of resource bc it does live pause, etc... so I used another program called watch hdtv which works really nice.

Also, you can't watch TV when your car is moving. Now go out and get one!!!
    04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Can I get a 2nd?
    My OLD carputer page
    My NEW carPC

Via Epia M10000, 512 PC2100, Opus 150, 8" lilly touch, 320 GB 7200 WD Caviar

Comment

OTA HD is mandated as part of the switch over to all digital by 2008/2009 some time. There are several open source DVR solutions which take advantage of this. Check out www.mythtv.org and www.mysettopbox.tv (knoppmyth). Knoppmyth is a one stop shopping DVR solution. I have one that's been running for about 2 years and it's got all the features of TiVo and more.
      Nick - 08 GG Element
      Custom 3D-CAD Design, Reverse Engineering and Fabrication

Comment

Originally posted by moahdib View Post
        I got a Pinnacle PCTV HD USB 2.0 Pro Stick off ebay and decided to try it out and OMG... its amazing.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...+Pro+Stick.htm

Comes with a little rabbit ear type antenna but even with that, i can pick up like 10 channels here in LA area.

I had no clue there were HD broadcasts over the air that you can pick up with any regular antenna. As long as you are in any major metropolitan area you should have a bunch of channels. You can check how many channels are broadcast in HD signal by going to titantv.com and filter for HD over the air.

I have a car antenna which i never really used in the past with a built-in amplifier. As soon as I connected it to my carputer... i was simply baffled.

One minor drawback is that the pinnacle media center program that comes with it is total crap. Eats up HUGE amounts of resource bc it does live pause, etc... so I used another program called watch hdtv which works really nice.

Could you please provide a link to that watch hdtv software. I just bought that same tuner.

Thank you,

Scott

Comment

here you go. Works great wiht the Pinnacle tuner http://watchhdtv.net/default.aspx
          04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

just wanna confirm that you can not watch tv while moving? Hard to justify the cost just to sit in my car and watch tv lol.
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

For those of you with tv in your car...when do you actually have the time to watch it? HD probably only works near the city, so you cant use it while on a long road trip. Or is this tv in the car thing just for the passengers and the cool factor?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                just wanna confirm that you can not watch tv while moving? Hard to justify the cost just to sit in my car and watch tv lol.
                Also, you can't watch TV when your car is moving.
                Yup only when the car is stationary.

Originally posted by nobb View Post
                For those of you with tv in your car...when do you actually have the time to watch it? HD probably only works near the city, so you cant use it while on a long road trip. Or is this tv in the car thing just for the passengers and the cool factor?
                This is good while you are waiting to pickup your gf/mom/dad/kid/wife/sibblings .... and want to watch the game.
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Haha, I really wanna get this, do you know if we can see how many channels we have in our area ?
                  Im located in Montréal so maybe there's no free HD broadcasting yet.
                  Just want 2 make sure it will worth the money... thanks!
                  VmtSquad - I sold my soul to Honda!
                  Final Install
                  CarPC progress: 95%

Comment

Originally posted by VmtSquad View Post
                    Haha, I really wanna get this, do you know if we can see how many channels we have in our area ?
                    Best place I know of to determine the coverage, would be http://www.antennaweb.org. I'm really not sure about how complete it is in canada, but it basically uses the broadcast strengths of each station to give you a list (and antenna direction) on a map.
                    2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
                    Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Hey moahdib, which Amplified car antenna are you using? Does it pick up DTV signal well?

Comment

just from experience it is hard to get HD over VGA. there is a noticeable difference between watching HD over VGA and DVI. which begs the question, are there any monitors that have DVI support?

Comment

You can easily get HDTV signal on VGA or DVI monitors, the difficult part is the quality of the signal you get which is affected by the antenna you use. There is a difference when watching on a 24 or 32 LCD monitor...but with our 7-8 inc monitors you probably can't even tell.

Comment

HDTV Over the Air

For those wanting an internal quality internal "mini PCI" there is now one I have tested and works great. It is MiniPCI HD TV tuner LR351" branded under Aopen name but not sure who manufctures it. Included software is Arcsoft Total Media. Haven't found a plugin to embed into Road Runner as yet though. Has great picture HD and SD (digital/analog) from the enclosed magnetic mount antenna. Here is where I puchased from (Received 2 days after ordering with good packaging) http://www.antonline.com/p_90.MPC46.0310-CN_274474.htm . I live in a major metro area and TV transmiters a reasonably close approximately 25 miles, works good for the last couple of weeks I've been using it, no freezes or crashing of the PC.

Comment

Originally posted by AcuraTLFan View Post
                              There is a difference when watching on a 24 or 32 LCD monitor...but with our 7-8 inc monitors you probably can't even tell.
                              Well, there is not just the difference in resolution, the other differences are the way that the signal is sent and what is sent. Regular TV is an analog signal while HD is digital. There are no snowy pictures with OTA HDTV (but if the signal is weak you do get a broken up picture). The other thing is that some stations broadcast multiple channels, so there can be broadcasts that you never know are there. Our PBS station here for instance has the standard analog channel, plus two digital channels - one that is identical in programming as the analog station, and an HD only channel where all programming is in HD and is different programming. There are a few stations with two or three broadcasts here - something you can't get with a regular analog card. Also, HD broadcasting is in 16:9 format. So are a lot of our LCDs, so you are taking advantage of the wider format as well.

It still surprises me how many people are unaware of OTA HDTV. My understanding is that it is the cleanest HDTV that you can get, save maybe the newest HD-DVD and BlueRay, because even the HD broadcasts coming over digital cable or satellite are somewhat compressed so that it can be piped down easier.
                              ---------------------------
                              Dan from Minneapolis
                              1999 Volvo V70R
                              Jetway J7F2WE2G, USB Creative Soundblaster, RoadRunner, Holux BT GPS, 3M Capacitive Lilliput, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X