Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest check: Camry/Scion Steering Wheel Control -> USB

Hi,

I'm new to posting here, but I guess i've been lurking here for awhile now. Anyway, I was developing my carpc when I ran into the steering wheel control problem. I have a gen6 camry, but I'm fairly sure the wiring is the same for gen3 and up. I was browsing solutions for steering wheel control integration, and they all seem rather expensive - and unreliable. The most popular seems to be the SWI-X, but that is designed for headunit integration and emits IR signals, which you must then trap and intercept using an IR reciever - this seems overly complicated to me for such a simple human interface device, and very expensive - SWI-X costs ~50-60$.

my proposal is to construct a hardware interface to connect the 20pin connector directly to USB. I've researched the controls, and it seems that the steering wheel controls consist of 3 wires (pins 7,8,9) which use alternating resistance values to indicate which buttons are being pressed. This could be easily interpreted by a microcontroller. The goal is to keep the cost low. I estimate the parts required to be:

Circuit Board (~$3)
    Atmel Attiny or Atmega microcontroller (20-pin, 4k flash) (~$3)
    Harness for 20-pin connector (~$3)
    USB connector (~$0.50)
    Diodes (~$0.50)
    Resistors(~$0.50)
    Crystal(~$0.50)
    Capacitors(~$0.50)

Which would be about $12. The firmware would be relatively simple, and I should be able to do that in a day, and the circuit need not be overly complex. The main issue is finding a compatible connector. Also, if the other wires are used by something else, a pass through connector might be needed (though, in my camry, I only have 3 wires connected to this connector). The device would not require any drivers, it would appear as a human interface device, and the buttons would by default mapped to volume, up/down arrow keys, and (not sure about mode button yet).

I thought this project might benefit other people, and it would be nice to have a fabricated silkscreened board than my typical self-etched board... If enough interest gathers up, perhaps I can buy parts in bulk and sell them pre-made (for a small fee) or in kits.

intresting... I have a new toyota tacoma, should be pretty close to the same thing.. I'd be intrested.

Comment

Heres my effort:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/macc...-controls.html

What type of pins are in the connector? There must be a crimp connector that would fit it?

nick

Comment

im interested as well
        .______
        | '_ |__\___
        [(o)|___(o)] XB
        ._________
        | I__I I_I|_\__I
        [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

I'm also interested in this board.
          Will you be selling it as a kit, or will you be selling the flashed chip as an option too, with schematics?
          thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mr2mac View Post
            Heres my effort:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/macc...-controls.html

What type of pins are in the connector? There must be a crimp connector that would fit it?

nick
            sorry for the late reply everyone, i've been busy with non-carpc related stuff recently. The connector is a strange one, im sure theres some type of crimp connector or molex that would fit it, I will take pictures of it once i pull out my radio again sometime this week.

I've done a quick design of the schematic, i will get it posted up shortly. about it being sold as a kit, probably =), with schematics. About the tacoma, it probably has a similar connector, ill let you know once i get to it.

Comment

I'm definitely interested! How'd you go no2chem?
              2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

Comment

I would definitely be interested, Save me alota time fabricating this. Heck id buy a kit just to get that damn connector. I know digikey has it, they have everything....

Comment

oops, I know I haven't updated this in a while, didn't really have time to work on it until now.

anyway, heres a rendering of the board, i'm waiting for it to come back from the pcb house, it should be compatible with toyota/scion, instead of finding the 20-pin connector, I used a terminal block so you have to wire it manually.

the firmware emulates a usb keyboard, and the buttons are reprogrammable...

thats all for now until i get the board.
                  Attached Files

Comment

looks sweet .. what's the dimensions of the board?

Comment

1.25" x 2.54"

Comment

Very interested!
                        Thanks for your work so far!
                        Is this the same no2chem who develops for HTC phones?

Comment

I dabble in some software development for WM-based phones. It would be great if, at some point in future, we had some collaborative effort with xda-developers.com on the development of WM applications to integrate WM devices with car PCs.

Comment

you kick ***.. thank you for taking the time to get this going.

Comment

Originally posted by jgfletcher View Post
                              Very interested!
                              Thanks for your work so far!
                              Is this the same no2chem who develops for HTC phones?
                              why yes, that would be me.

Originally posted by MeeM View Post
                              I dabble in some software development for WM-based phones. It would be great if, at some point in future, we had some collaborative effort with xda-developers.com on the development of WM applications to integrate WM devices with car PCs.
                              see above... if I ever have any free time, that would be my plan...

Comment

Working...
                              X