Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getto Shielding -- VGA cable

<noob>
    Ok so Im running a VAG cable from the inside edge of the back seat, up the middle, to the VGA monitor.

Do i need shielding for this?

Can i run a USB cable up strung along with it, without causing interference?

Has anyone used foil to shield the wiring, or is this overkill or completely un ness??

I know when i run Audio cables, like RCA, i always buy the super expensive shielded ones, as there is WAY less engine noise, if any leaking in to the system

</noob>

Thanks for any comments, thoughts or EVEN flames on this.
    YOUR Opinions REQUESTED!!

Edited: for spelling, jeezzz!! I type like crap
    I may actually be the droid your looking for!

I assume you mean VGA cable. I have one run a similar length with other stuff right alongside it and haven't had any interference issues.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
      I assume you mean VGA cable. I have one run a similar length with other stuff right alongside it and haven't had any interference issues.
      ya know, i triple checked spelling, and still missed that....lol

yes, i did in fact mean VGA.

So did you run all of your PC cables together, and approx how far did you run them.
      Generally from trunk to headunit in a car audio install will give you noise...if u choose to run un shielded RCA lines.

basically, U get a buzz when the engines on

------------------------------- P.S.
      Are you using any kind of OBD2 software entegrated in to your car pc front end?
      I have a Ross tech serial VAG tool (yes vag there).

I was hoping someone already has this integrated.
      I may actually be the droid your looking for!

Comment

Originally posted by b5b4you View Post
        Are you using any kind of OBD2 software entegrated in to your car pc front end?
        I have a Ross tech serial VAG tool (yes vag there).

I was hoping someone already has this integrated.
        You mean like this?
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

When running cables, make sure that you keep your power cables and data/signal cables separate! So for example, run the power cables on the left side of the car and the data cables on the right side. By doing this you prevent noise influencing the data!

Shielding-wise, a normal VGA cable should do the trick. They are usually shielded (havent come across one that hasnt had some form of shielding and RF prevention), so buying ultra expensive cables isnt necessary from my pov. I used the cable that came with my screen (4,5m / 15 feet) and it works perfectly.
          CarPC progress:
          Planning: ******** | 100%
          Hardware: *******- | 90%
          Software: ********-- | 70%
          Install: ********- | 90% (Its never really completed!)

Comment

Working...
          X