Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you all get all this stuff in your cars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you all get all this stuff in your cars?

Ok I have been working on my RR carputer now for several months. I'm using a DELL OPTIPLEX GX270 I thought is was going to be small enough but I'm thinking it looks to big to be honest. And with all the add on's wow I have a complete desk full of this system. LOL My car is not this big....

Please advise...
    Batmaninls
    www.evorbust.com

Lets have some pics!

Comment

I managed to fit mine under my passenger seat, but I've seen a lot of people install their carpc in the trunk. Assuming you have a car, most car trunks have a small cavity behind the bulge that the rear wheel well creates, which is about perfect for a standard size motherboard in a custom case.

Or if you want to risk going without a spare tire, you could put it where that normally is, but I don't suggest that
      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
      RevFE
      My Shop

Comment

Don't see the problem myself.
        Old Systems retired due to new car
        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

No trunk...
          you can see the car at www.evorbust.com
          I have a lot of room under the dash but not sure I would mount all the stuff.

I have Fusion Brain, GPS, Sirius Radio stuff Mitch's little converter box for that. I'm adding in HD radio this week so the list of parts gets bigger. The fusion brain controls all the stuff on the car.. I will need like a bank to power all the external stuff.
          Batmaninls
          www.evorbust.com

Comment

Here you go...
            Inside the car... way back when I was tearing it apart...

[media]http://www.evorbust.com/Images/ProjectPics/600am.jpg[/media]

here is one of the dash area
            [media]http://www.evorbust.com/Images/ProjectPics/TearDown2.jpg[/media]
            Batmaninls
            www.evorbust.com

Comment

Rob what are you using there. Mine is not that small..
              Batmaninls
              www.evorbust.com

Comment

Here is a pic of some of what's on my desk.
                Attached Files
                Batmaninls
                www.evorbust.com

Comment

Originally posted by Batmaninls View Post
                  Rob what are you using there. Mine is not that small..
                  Advantech PCM 9373 1GHz Via C3 motherboard with 256Mb sodimm ram.
                  8Gb disk-on-module flash drive.
                  Custom ISR based power supply,shutdown controller, I/O controller and servo controller.
                  Old Systems retired due to new car
                  New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

I see. Well My idea was to use a compete PC this way I can comunicate with my servers inside my home. As the car is charging it will be downloading all the data it gather from that day. then I would be able to able to create reports and so forth. Also I'm using this as the sole thing to run the entire car. So it doesn't have any gauges or radio... All the lights, heat, door poppers, battery status and ect...

I have been looking at the Dell hybrid as something small.. that might work
                    Batmaninls
                    www.evorbust.com

Comment

Well, you don't need some huge desktop for a car pc. In fact, you ought to look at a mini-itx like the Intel Atom. Very low power consumption and you can probably build the system for under $500 if you have stuff laying around.

The other option is to buy a laptop with a busted screen.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Bat the Intel Atom board is really small and has plenty of power. I have one running on my desk as I test and play. The board is the size of my hand. I would have considered it for my parents home theater setup had I known about it when I bought their parts.

Comment

Ok I will look into that board thanks.
                          Batmaninls
                          www.evorbust.com

Comment

Well i see were the screen and PC can go. That large hole where the glove box looks like it has lots of room to even hold a full desktop mobo.
                            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                            4X MK808b
                            3x Perixx Touchpads
                            3x 7 inch Screens
                            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Have a look at this test: http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/atoms
                              Five Atom Mini-ITX Boards Reviewed

In our multiple Atom board review, we cover the original Intel D945GCLF motherboard, Gigabyte's GA-GC230D, Jetway's JNC91, a board from MSI due to be released in the next few weeks, and Intel's Dual Core Atom 330 powered D945GCLF2 - released today (or thereabouts).
                              If you don't need the dual-core Atom power of the Intel BLKD945GCLF2, the most interesting single-core Atom Mini-ITX board so far seems to be the new MSI fanless industrial Mini-ITX board named IM-945GSE-A (a.k.a. MS-9830).

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...8&prod_no=1693

Comment

Working...
                              X