Is it possible to build a WOL dongle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to build a WOL dongle?

A nifty solution for autostarting a laptop in the car is using the Wake On Lan option. Most people who have used this hack up a router and wire it to the car and use it to wake the PC.

But that seems kind of inelegant. My question is whether it is possible to build the equivalent of a dongle that would plug into the ethernet jack of the laptop, wire the other end to accessory 12v power and simulate the LAN message to wake the laptop.

Does anyone know how that process works or can point me to a resource that will explain it?

What would be required to do this? Are there a category of off-the-shelf components that can be used or is it even simpler, i.e. a voltage on the line?

I've just read enough posts about auto-turn on of the laptop and was thinking a cool homebrew solution might be cooked up from the talents of our forum members.

Any ideas on this?
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Well most solutions use a magic 'packet' so you would probably need a little eprom (pic maybe) that would send said magic packet to the PC's MAC address when it receives a 12v signal.

Comment

I don't know of anything off the top of my head that would do what you are wanting to do and to be honest with you I think you are making this a lot harder than it needs to be. Why not just use a relay to simulate pushing the power button when it gets a 12v signal? That would be much much simpler than trying to design something that could simulate a WOl packet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
        I don't know of anything off the top of my head that would do what you are wanting to do and to be honest with you I think you are making this a lot harder than it needs to be. Why not just use a relay to simulate pushing the power button when it gets a 12v signal? That would be much much simpler than trying to design something that could simulate a WOl packet.
        If someone doesn't want to hack up any part of their laptop, ie. turnkey solution... WOL would probably be the easiest considering the limited hardware of a laptop.

So yeah, as Enforcer says, a magic packet needs to be sent. I doubt this would be hard for someone familiar with the protocol, just a matter of programming a chip.
        DON'T PANIC.

Previous install pics in 2k3 S10

Project CarPc V2

Comment

Unfortunately the Ethernet Stack is not really possible to emulate on a RISC chip. Fortunatly there are premade solutions. You could take something like this: http://www.futurlec.com/Mini_Ethernet.shtml And combine it with a microcontroller to send your WOL packet.
          "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
          RevFE
          My Shop

Comment

Thanks for the link!

I'm not trying to make it harder than it is. In fact, I don't have a laptop as my car PC. I was just thinking that a lot of people don't like or aren't comfortable with hacking up their laptop power button. I just figured that a little plug-in device that could signal wake on lan would be desirable for a lot of people.

One thing I've noticed over the past, say, two or three years is that with the falling price of laptops and their increasing power a lot more people are looking to re-purpose them for the car. A no-hack solution would be kind of cool.
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:

Comment

http://www.carnetix.com/forum/showth...&highlight=wol
              MikeH

Comment

I just want to put in some experience. Ethernet isn't killer complex, but it's not super simple either. Since it uses differential voltages, you'd probably be best off getting an ethernet chip and then maybe a PIC -- or the PIC J series with the ethernet already in them. Then you need a jack with embedded magnetics...
                It's not hard but theres quite a learning curve to it all. You could definitely make them, but not as cheap as a simple chip would be.
                2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
                Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
                Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
                The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

MikeH good find. I just checked my home pc network card and it has wake on link. Just need soemthing on the other side of the network to trigger it.

As for magic packet. I've used Lantronix Xport (about $50) to do some networking experiments. Never messed with the magic packet. Probably not too hard to do in software. Does seem overkill for an auto power up on a laptop. Probably spend about $100 to get what you want. Might be able to mass produce something alot cheaper though...

A cheap network switch would be better to use with the wake on link. Like MikeH's link talks about.
                  Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

Comment

Comments from my eee pc laptop worklog:

Some comments on the RJ45 loopback wake-on LAN idea as mentioned by others. I took an old RJ45 cable and twisted wires 1-3 and 2-6 together.

I made sure the windows XP settings of my LAN card was activated for wake-on lan. The BIOS menu also had an option for wake-on LAN that I turned-on.

Well, it works, kind of. The computer must have shut-down or hibernated with power adapter on, and the power adapter also has to connected without interruption while the computer is shut-down or hibernated. Since I don't want my power adapter on draining my battery, this option became a wild-goose chase. Also, I have my computer to automatically go to hibernate after a few minutes without power from my car adapter that is hardwired to an ignition only fuse.

To bad because it would have been easier than soldering the power button leads directly as I showed in the earlier post. An ideal carputer laptop would be one with a BIOS that can automatically turn-on when it detects power. Unfortunately, I don't think many laptops have this option.
                    2007 Mini Cooper eee PC worklog

Comment

Very cool idea!

I'm not sure this is a feasible idea as it seems like it may cost more money than it is worth. Still, it's amazing what people on this forum seem to know!
                      Want to:

Comment

Guys,

Here's something I put together about 2 years ago but never took to production. It's called the CarNetix CNX-PWOL and is designed to wake a sleeping laptop by exercising the Wake-on-Link feature that *some* ethernet chipsets implement. The problem we ran into was, very few laptops seemed to have the Wake-on-Link feature (many have the Wake-on-Lan "majic packet" feature, but not Wake-on-Link). The link above tells you where to look for the feature in your laptop.

I'd love to hear from you guys on how many of you have laptops that include Wake-on-Link. If there is enough interest we may resurrect this project.

Here are a couple of photos with the CNX-PWOL prototype. It includes an RJ-45 input, RJ-45 outout (pass through), an ACPI input, and a battery input to run a small relay. It is shown here with the P2140 and PSUmoni software on an IBM laptop. The PSUmoni issues a "hibernate" command to the laptop via the USB connection to put the laptop into sleep mode. The PWOL shorts two pins on the RJ-45 to wake the laptop.

There's another possible "non-solder" solution for laptop users. Take a look at this thread and let me know if your laptop has this feature (mine does not).

Let me know what you think.
                        Attached Files
                        MikeH

Comment

So...is the reason you didn't try to wake on lan magic packet because the circuitry was too expensive to make a reasonably priced product? Most everyone has WOL but doesn't seem like everyone has wake on link.
                          Want to:

Comment

Theres always the option of getting an external keyboard with a power button on it and hacking up its power button.
                            My Nearly Complete Car:
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                            http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                            http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

You bet. This was just a question about a possible non-solder or hack solution.
                              Want to:

Comment

Working...
                              X