Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Product Idea Automotive USB Hub

Hey guys,

I was doing an install this weekend with a customer who wanted to have literally every accessory possible for a Car PC system everything from OBD to a full deskjet printer and the problem that I ran into (I am sure many of you have too) was that I did not have enough USB ports, so I had to purchase an inverter ($35) and a cheap USB hub ($20) to add the additional ports to the system. This got me thinking about a new product.

Now from what I understand a Hub operates on 5V and a Car operates on 12V-24V so to design a hub for automotive applications can't be that hard. I alrady have some development tools to get me started on the HUB side but now I want to start working on the power side to insure we are getting clean power to the USB hub. What I imagine the product to look like is a 7 port hub with a cigarette lighter for the power, and a USB Type B port to connect to the host computer. I am not sure how much the device will cost yet but I don't think it would be worth it unless it was cheaper than $50 or $60 bucks. I know there are a few people out there that already have a similar products but I think they sells for a ridiculous price. Any suggestions comments are welcome.

My suggestion would be mp3car will soon have this available lol. Its been mentioned in the forums.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I would be interested in any development with such a device. I have the means to design and build my own but if someone has already taken steps in that direction I would like to pick up from where they have left off. Another feature I that I think will benefit the community is having the ports put out upto 1000mA rather than just the conventional 500mA.

Comment

there's a thread around of someone who setup a power supply for a usb hub using a voltage regulator and a heat sink.
        Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

I've been testing a prototype for mp3car that does this. It works off of 12v and has been working flawlessly for me.

They're in the process of putting it in production but have been reluctant to say exactly when they will be available.

You can PM Heather about this for more info (although she's on vacation through next week).
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

If you guys can give me some links to these threads it would save me a tremendous amount of time.

I was also thinking along the same line, it probably way less work and money to take a popular/reliable off-the-shelf USB Hub, make my own cable/powersupply, and connect it directly from the HUB to a Cigarette Lighter. This will also help with warranty issues as users can replace the Hub with the original manufacuturer if it were to fail.

How about this can some of you post some of the hubs that you are using in your car pc setups which have had favorable results. And then maybe I can select one that is proven to work well in automotive conditions and go from there. I'll start the list:

Belkin 7 port USB Hub - Mfc P/N - F5U307 - $35
            DLink 4 port USB Hub - Mfc P/N - Dx-4p2h - $20

Comment

13-Port USB 2.0 Powered Hub

Anyone tried this one?

http://www.synchrotech.com/product-u...b_13-port.html

Was thinking about ordering it, just not sure if I can wire it up in the car. Love the fact that it has the most ports I've found so far.

Comment

Just to mention - the Carnetix 2140 comes with dual user configurable outputs that allow you to output 5v regulated. If you need to power a PC and can use it, it would solve the issue for you.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Simple circuit as somebody mentioned. Attach a simple 7805 to the 12v power line with a heatsink. Power the hub off your output. Simple, really. If not, grab 5v from the PC? Most devices are raping your 12v rail, the 5v needs some use, might as well power a ton of USB devices!
                  2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
                  Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
                  Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
                  The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

Here is the power supply you need.

http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX..._p/pwr-016.htm

Small in size and can be used without the Carnetix powers supply and they output up to 3 amps.

I will be installing two of these in a small project box for a total of up to 6 amps output.

Then use two of these.

http://store.mp3car.com/4_Port_USB_H..._p/adt-011.htm

To hook them up take it to your local Radio Shack and buy the correct plug to fit in the power input hole. from that make you self a power wire.

Now you are all set and have 8 powered USB, that will power just about anything you could put on it.

Schatzy62

Comment

Originally posted by colin View Post
                      Simple circuit as somebody mentioned. Attach a simple 7805 to the 12v power line with a heatsink. Power the hub off your output. Simple, really. If not, grab 5v from the PC? Most devices are raping your 12v rail, the 5v needs some use, might as well power a ton of USB devices!
                      I have to agree I am using 7805s to power my hubs actually I had a couple directly powering a couple of stubborn usb devices in my last car

Comment

12v-powered 7-port hub? Where do I sign up?

I tried to cobble one together from a regular 7-port hub and a 2-amp USB-like charger, but the combination failed. So yeah, I want one. Bad.

Comment

Hey,

Why not implement an LM (eg LM7805) based Voltage regulator to create a regulated 5v DC out (handfull of components) and use a regular 'Ritmo' style 7 port hub that takes an external 5v plugpack? Really not that tricky...

Its been a while but an LM7805 can pump out 3A quite comfortably. The fact that we have a flat full DC wave to begin with makes life even easier...

Check this out... I doubt this would cost more than $2 to make.

http://booksbybibin.14.forumer.com/a...17_post32.html

Cheers,

George
                          Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity...

Comment

What's wrong with this? They make a 4 port and 8 port model as well.

http://www.usbgear.net/productdetail...G-12U2ML&cats=

Comment

Working...
                            X