Will this work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work?

Gday evryone, just a quick sort of overview of what im planning on doing. im going ahead with this, but would like a few experianced eyes just seeing over this sketch to see what i can maybe do better.. or if this will even work.

Basically want to control 12v relays with a old nes controller im going to hack. i was basicly thinking i could run 5v through the controller to trigger relays as ive shown below... problem is im not sure how i can get the 12v down to 5v to run through the controller.

Anyways im sure everyone hates on me for not knowing what im talking about, i know a little logically but dont know the nitty gritty that all you guys have the knowledge off. anyways have a look if you like.. thanks Ryann

helps if we can see the image

Comment

damn, loads up on my screen here. my connection im on at the moment is a temp. 3g connection off my nexus one, doesnt work the greatest.. ill do my best to get it online somewere else

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
        problem is im not sure how i can get the 12v down to 5v to run through the controller.
        You're looking for a 7805 regulator...should be able to find them at any local electronics store or even ebay for about $1.
        openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
        - Always Recruiting Developers -
        Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by coreyspeed View Post
          helps if we can see the image
          Cut and paste the link into a browser: http://onsills.com/onsills08/phpBB3/...2633&mode=view
          Old Systems retired due to new car
          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Why don't you connect one end of all the control pad buttons to +12v and the other end of the switches to the inputs of a 2803 darlington driver chip. This chip has 8 inputs and outputs. The inputs are low impedance so you can connect the switches directly to the inputs. You can then connect the relays directly to the outputs.

This way you wont even need to have a 5v regulator

Comment

Can u expand a little on that above, im pretty novice at this..

i wasnt sure i could run 12v thru the nes controller without ruining it? why couldnt i just run 12v straight thru it to my airbag solenoids? or would that fry things? the 8core im using it rather small..

whats the advantages to what your suggesting above?

sorry for being so novice here guys. im learning more evryday

Comment

bump

Comment

you need the relays....taking those out of the equation is a good way to start a fire.

Civic Modz was saying that you don't need 5v to drive the relays you can use 12v. Same diagram (using the relays) just no need to step down to 5v.

Comment

The only problem I can see is that you will have an issue powering the relays directly though the buttons. The on resistance of these button can be quite high and is unlikely that they will power the relays directly. In this case you will need a seperate relay driver such as a transistor or the ever so popular ULN2003. You might also need to debounce your buttons, but that really depends on the device you are trying to control with the relays.

About running 12v through the nes controller, are you just simply applying power to the buttons, and not the internal circuit (if there is one).

Comment

What kind of control do you have for the airbags right now? Have you checked to see how that works?

Comment

Originally posted by Civic Modz View Post
                        About running 12v through the nes controller, are you just simply applying power to the buttons, and not the internal circuit (if there is one).
                        Yea im not using any of the internal circuit peices in the controller just the lines that run in through the buttons..

I have a fusion brain running off a computer inside the cab that runs relays on and off that power airbag solenoids..

so i wanted to run 6 relays as shown in that diagram which will then forward on to the other relays, which then power the bag solenoids. but after hearing from you guys.. im hoping i could run the 12v straight thru the nes controller.. to my 6 relays then forwarding on a stronger 12v signal to the other relays which can draw more thru there.

just curious to what sort of signal most usual relays need to trigger, as im sure that whatever i can run thru the nes controller should be enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Civic Modz View Post
                          The only problem I can see is that you will have an issue powering the relays directly though the buttons. The on resistance of these button can be quite high and is unlikely that they will power the relays directly. In this case you will need a seperate relay driver such as a transistor or the ever so popular ULN2003. You might also need to debounce your buttons, but that really depends on the device you are trying to control with the relays.

Huh? Its a basic switch....no circuitry...minimal resistance... No need for debounce or any of that-were dealing with relays here not micro-controllers.

Comment

The relay coil requires the rated current at the rated volts. The contacts can pass the rated amps at the rated volts. i.e. Bosch coil is around 150mA @ 12V

The NES controller uses tactile switches which are normally rated at 50mA max, so they'll arc and fill with carbon quickly.

An NES to PC adapter would be nicer way to do it. Decode the output and control the FB.

Comment

there are nes controllers that are already modded to plug into a usb port for ~25$

Comment

Working...
                              X