X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in a USB Audio Amplifier?

Additional Information at End of Post

Original Post:
    Well thanks to justchat_1, I have been hard at work on a new project. Now that I have concluded it is feasible, I want to know if it is something you guys (and gals) would be interested in.

What I am working on is a 4.1 (4 speakers and 1 sub, 5 channels) USB sound card and amplifier. So plug it into your PC via USB and you get 5 speaker level connection to connect directly to your car's speakers. Sound quality will be between 16bit and 24bit, so high def using high quality components. Should rival most standalones out there to begin with.

No startup thump because it is USB audio and will be somewhat programmable.

As for output power it would be in the low to mid range but at high quality. Meaning it will be extremely loud for mostly everyone if needed as well as keeping a normal/reasonable volume with great sound. Obviously you audiophiles will never go for anything where you can't control it, but the design thus far is a high quality Class D amplifier with between 88% and 94% efficiency and a SNR greater than 100dB.

So, what do you think? Would you be interested in something like this? Price I am not sure yet. In low volumes to begin with it will obviously be a bit higher.

Thoughts, opinions, whatever please post and let me know. If you have opinions on wanted power output, bit rate, bit depth, other features, please post as well!

Edit 29/08/2010:
    If you guys can, I would appreciate some feedback on the following questions:
    • What sound resolution do you need? 16bit, 20bit, 24bit, or 32bit
    • What sampling rate do you need? Is 48KHz acceptable? Would 192KHz sampling frequency be worth a *substantial* price increase?
    • As for Form Factor and Installation Location, would a standard amplifier "look" be preferable to a single din or small hide-away unit?
    • Signal Channel Power Output: Is 4x40W acceptable output (generic headunit power output)? 100W per channel? 200W per channel? And I am talking actual power output to the speakers per channel, no BS wattages. If I say 100W, I mean 100W.
    • Subwoofer Channel Power Output: Desire for low level output in addition to high level output? Desired Subwoofer Power output: 40W, 100W, 200W, 400W, 600W, > 600W?
    • Price: How much is your ideal soundcard and amplifier worth ($USD): <$80, $80, $100, $200, $300, >$300USD

Also would like at least 2 people, at most 10 people willing to beta test probably around December 2010. Depending on final manufacturing cost, we may need to ask for a bit of cash as the cost to participate in being a beta tester, but that all depends on how much this costs. I would appreciate a little "why I should beta" blurb. Nothing too elaborate, but I would like these to go to people that can actually use the power and features for testing.

Remember this will be the second ever soundcard in the world with this number of channels at this resolution, and the first in the world to have an extremely powerful output stage as well. Not your average $10 feabay sound card...
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

i'm beyond interested but i'm sure you already know that lol
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

that sounds like a great solution for a lot of people!
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Sounds pretty cool! Final price would definitely be the decision maker for me. How far in the design are you? Is there room for input switching?
        2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
        Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
        Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
        The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

Originally posted by colin View Post
          Sounds pretty cool! Final price would definitely be the decision maker for me. How far in the design are you? Is there room for input switching?
          It is fully designed, but always have room for more. Input switching in what sense?
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Input switching is really a separate device...since this has no inputs (its just an output device) thats more of a function for a dedicated sound card.
            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
            - Always Recruiting Developers -
            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

I would get a couple. Very interested!
              The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                Input switching is really a separate device...since this has no inputs (its just an output device) thats more of a function for a dedicated sound card.
                Yeah? Damn, I think it'd be pretty cool to be able to direct an external input through the amplifier circuit as a default in case the computer isn't booted or something? Still sounds cool, whats your estimated price right now?
                Blog

Comment

I'm interested for the right price. Any idea when they will be available?

Comment

Theres no fully designed unit (akaik) hes just gauging potential interest. Price depends on the final design and the number of expected customers.

Comment

mmm... +1

Also, please make it work with the linoooks. Thanks.
                      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                        It is fully designed
                        Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                        Theres no fully designed unit (akaik) hes just gauging potential interest. Price depends on the final design and the number of expected customers.
                        What's the price looking at? You can still tell the cost of the components and the PCB before mass production.
                        Blog

Comment

Isn't this already available here? http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/user...mp-anyone.html

Is something new and different planned?

Comment

i would look into pre-designed amplifier kits - http://shop.41hz.com/shop/

Comment

Originally posted by 1drum View Post
                              Isn't this already available here? http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/user...mp-anyone.html

Is something new and different planned?
                              That costs ~$200+shipping, has had numerous quality issues and is only 16bit 2 channel sound. This is a 5 channel HD amp, and based on 2k1toasters other products we all know will be great quality at an affordable price.

Comment

Working...
                              X