Dual Sound Cards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Sound Cards?

Is it possible to use two sound cards so that one app (powerdvd) uses one soundcard and the other sound card can be used for all other apps?
    Has anyone had success with this? If so please explain
    You can still have something if you have nothing

It should be possible, but the software has to support selecting which card to output to - I don't know if powerdvd does or not. Setting the default output device can be done in windows control panel. I remember seeing a thread discussing this exact question, try searching for it.

Also, this belongs in general hardware discussions, not hardware development...

Comment

Interesting Idea. Like mushin said........yeah....how would you set that up. But anyway.....most soundcards basically already serve the function that I think you are looking for. I mean....you want to be able to change volume levels of certain aps right? Well most apps(QuickTime, RealMedia or Windows Media Players) have a volume option built in, that doesnt change your master volume. You might wanna just try finding or writing software that change mute or change the volume on your media player apps.

Sorry, a lot of that is speculation of your intentions.
      PC Components:
      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
      My work log

Comment

Why not use one sound card and your on-board sound as the second source? Thats what I will be doing so the sound card runs sound for the whole car, and the on-board sound runs to head phone jacks for the back seat headrest monitors. That way I can listen to music while my kids watch a movie. You do need to make sure whatever app you are using lets you select which sound source is used.
        Spent so far: $1,755
        Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
        CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
        Don't mess with Texas.
        It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

i know for a fact that you can have 2 soundcards with win amp but there is a plugg in needed wich will allow you to run 2 instances of win amp

Comment

Originally posted by edrex
            Why not use one sound card and your on-board sound as the second source? Thats what I will be doing so the sound card runs sound for the whole car, and the on-board sound runs to head phone jacks for the back seat headrest monitors. That way I can listen to music while my kids watch a movie. You do need to make sure whatever app you are using lets you select which sound source is used.
            I think some MBs with onboard sound would support that, not sure which ones though.
            TruckinMP3
            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

You can do this, as long as the app you are trying to use gives you the option of selecting the sound card. I have a SB Live! card along with onboard sound and whenever I DJ parties, I use my onboard sound card for the monitor output in my mixer application.

I just checked too, Windows Media Player gives you the option of selecting which sound card you want to use for outputting audio. Instead of the Default DirectSound Device, you can select any other audio processors you may have.

The only problem you may have is that you may have to use a separate application for the case when you want to play DVD movie audio through your car speakers. Either that or change the soundcard setting in the application audio options.

Comment

I had winAmp ruuning 2 time at a time.

There is a plugin of Hack to Run 2 winamps at a time.
                I have done it a fews back myself.
                Search Winamp's site.

Comment

you will need lots of free resourses ( i.e. DMA IRQ etc.. )

Comment

Originally posted by DRWeside View Post
                    You can do this, as long as the app you are trying to use gives you the option of selecting the sound card. I have a SB Live! card along with onboard sound and whenever I DJ parties, I use my onboard sound card for the monitor output in my mixer application....
                    Hey DR, I'm just trying to get iTunes to play through one sound card (5.1 speakers) and the computer sounds through another card (monitor speakers). I know that I have to direct Quicktime to use the 5.1 speakers/card, but when I do that it changes the WHOLE computer sound direction. Is there anyway to set the sound for ONLY iTunes? How did you do this using your mixer applicatioin?

Comment

You can...but In my opinion windows is a bit flakey in operation...and trying to direct sound to two cards.
                      current projects

Comment

Working...
                      X