Car Navigation with XM Satellite Traffic Reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Navigation with XM Satellite Traffic Reports

Hi Folks... I was just reading that Pioneer came out with a HU at CES that takes in the traffic reports from XM broadcasts and automatically reroutes you from conjested areas.

Here is the CNet link:
    http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5619033-1.html

Anyone have an idea how one could do the same with the kinds of setups we are running here?

Just get the data through WiFi. Its been discussed... very expensive.. like $30 a month or something
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

if you have GPRS phone with a connection to the carputer, then you should be able to get traffic info from the web. A simple program that establishes a TCP/IP connection with a ISP via the phone, capture the web page content with the traffic info, parse the specific traffic info, display the info, hangup.

And the best thing is that it is already part of your cellphone service.

Comment

It 13.99 a month and the unit is going to be around $1700-$1800. Is it worth the price? you decide

Comment

That $13.99 includes the satellite radio service, so it's not bad at all. The GEX-P10XMT XM/Traffic tuner goes for around $250, and while there are two head units being designed specifically around it (AVIC-N2, and AVIC-D1), there is a software upgrade for the AVIC-N1 that will allow it to use the traffic data as well.. So if you don't HAVE to have the absolute latest hardware, wait till the N2 and D1 are released.. New and lightly used N1's are going to be hitting Ebay like crazy. You'll probably be able to pick up an AVIC-N1 and the tuner for under $1200.
          Save XMLM! Sign the Petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/liqmetal/

Comment

Hi there.

Ive been using a Nav System in my HU for almost 2 years now.
            The Headunit used to receive trafic infos over the TMC system.

(TMC is free over here)

Is there any kind of integration for carputers yet?
            Everytime there was trafic jam my nav used to asked me if I wanted it to calculate a new route. It would be great if my carputer would do that too...

Comment

Originally posted by TaZMaNiaK
              That $13.99 includes the satellite radio service, so it's not bad at all. The GEX-P10XMT XM/Traffic tuner goes for around $250, and while there are two head units being designed specifically around it (AVIC-N2, and AVIC-D1), there is a software upgrade for the AVIC-N1 that will allow it to use the traffic data as well.. So if you don't HAVE to have the absolute latest hardware, wait till the N2 and D1 are released.. New and lightly used N1's are going to be hitting Ebay like crazy. You'll probably be able to pick up an AVIC-N1 and the tuner for under $1200.
              I'm pretty sure it is 12.99 a month for XM subscription and then it is a fee on top of that for traffic, just like its an extra fee for the weather, but i'm not 100% positive since its been a couple of months since I read it.

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                Just get the data through WiFi. Its been discussed... very expensive.. like $30 a month or something
                the nav feature is $3.99 a month for XM subscribers. if you're not an XM subscriber, you're not getting XM traffic information. as other XM users have learned, you get what you pay for in broadcasting. FM and AM are worthless, 10bux a month for XM is worth it unless you're never realy in your car.

besides, you can't offend people by listening to Opie & Anthony on XM202 if you dont have XM. At least we all agree that Sirius sucks.
                3g Eclipse - VIA M10000/512M Ram
                7"WideScreen - XM SkyFi1 - ipod - LinksysWiFi
                NetStumbler / Delorme GPS+Maps / Itunes
                05 Magnum - AVIC-N2 - xbox

Comment

Originally posted by skellum
                  the nav feature is $3.99 a month for XM subscribers. if you're not an XM subscriber, you're not getting XM traffic information. as other XM users have learned, you get what you pay for in broadcasting. FM and AM are worthless, 10bux a month for XM is worth it unless you're never realy in your car.

besides, you can't offend people by listening to Opie & Anthony on XM202 if you dont have XM. At least we all agree that Sirius sucks.
                  PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                  GammaControl v2.4
                  SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Garmin in releasing a unit next month that has the XM Radio, XM Traffic, XM Weather and MP3 built in. This is a link to it http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2730/

It is $16.94 a month for the XM Audio and Navtraffic. Not too shabby, I am seriously contemplating ripping out the carputer in favor of one of these units. My car computer gets used for XM and navigation 99% of the time and only once in a while do I listen to MP3's. Rumor is that it will have 2.5 GB of MP3 space, definitely enough for my needs and I can take the unit from car to car and the screen is meant to be used in cars.

Best price I've found so far is $836, not a bad price considering the capabilities.

As for the weather stuff, XM is insane, I'll just keep sticking my head out the window.

Troy
                    Done!

If you're into fishing, checkout my website! http://www.pennsylvaniaanglers.com

Comment

hey troy, any relations to a brian mclure? from slammed1.com?
                      2005 Dodge Ram HEMI

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239451

15" LCD touchscreen
                      Mac Mini
                      6" Headrest monitors
                      Modded Xbox

5 PSone screens going in doors
                      And another 15" LCD!

Comment

Originally posted by Troy McClure
                        Garmin in releasing a unit next month that has the XM Radio, XM Traffic, XM Weather and MP3 built in. This is a link to it http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2730/

It is $16.94 a month for the XM Audio and Navtraffic. Not too shabby, I am seriously contemplating ripping out the carputer in favor of one of these units. My car computer gets used for XM and navigation 99% of the time and only once in a while do I listen to MP3's. Rumor is that it will have 2.5 GB of MP3 space, definitely enough for my needs and I can take the unit from car to car and the screen is meant to be used in cars.

Best price I've found so far is $836, not a bad price considering the capabilities.

As for the weather stuff, XM is insane, I'll just keep sticking my head out the window.

Troy
                        You sound like a DORK!
                        Why are you bad mouthing CarPC's we're supposed to be doing things against the norm and working to better this ourselves, if we all had the engineering power of Garmin or Pioneer we could be able to tell iGuidance or whoever to intehgrate the XM Nav into their software!!
                        08 Lincoln Navigator www.mobiteklink.com

Comment

Originally posted by MobiTekLink
                          You sound like a DORK!
                          Why are you bad mouthing CarPC's we're supposed to be doing things against the norm and working to better this ourselves, if we all had the engineering power of Garmin or Pioneer we could be able to tell iGuidance or whoever to intehgrate the XM Nav into their software!!

Bad mouthing? Dork! Who said I was bad mouthing? Idiot.

I've had a car setup for close to 2 years and it is phenominal and crazy reliable. I won't knock them a bit but when something comes out that satisfies 100% of my needs and costs less than what it took me to build mine, yeah, I'm going to listen.

Heck, the only thing nearly negative in my post is that the screen is meant for cars.......implying to you that the screen we use are inferior??? Idiot!

Troy
                          Done!

Comment

Originally posted by Troy McClure
                            Bad mouthing? Dork! Who said I was bad mouthing? Idiot.

I've had a car setup for close to 2 years and it is phenominal and crazy reliable. I won't knock them a bit but when something comes out that satisfies 100% of my needs and costs less than what it took me to build mine, yeah, I'm going to listen.

Heck, the only thing nearly negative in my post is that the screen is meant for cars.......implying to you that the screen we use are inferior??? Idiot!

Troy
                            You are bad mouthing!! read before you reply! If you are putting down our community because you only use GPS, then you should've bought a GPS unit 2 years ago! If you don't like something in a CarPC we're able to change it ourselves!! Go ask GArmin or Pioneer to change something and you'll see !
                            08 Lincoln Navigator www.mobiteklink.com

Comment

Originally posted by MobiTekLink
                              You are bad mouthing!! read before you reply! If you are putting down our community because you only use GPS, then you should've bought a GPS unit 2 years ago! If you don't like something in a CarPC we're able to change it ourselves!! Go ask GArmin or Pioneer to change something and you'll see !
                              You are so off base it is disgusting and too stubborn to admit you're wrong. Go home little boy.

Where in what I said degrades the community? What underlying tone do I use to make you feel this way? Maybe you should re-read the post.

Can someone please offer up an opinion as to where I degrade the community or is this guy just insane!

I think he's just jealous of my setup.

Troy
                              Done!

Comment

Working...
                              X