Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splitting Ground?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Splitting Ground?

    Ok, I want to have one ground wire wired to some type of splitter, then a bunch of other grounds plugged into it. It would be like a distribution block for power, but is there anything I can use?

  • #2
    I think a distribution block would be your best bet.

    Comment


    • #3
      you can just use a regular unfused dist. block like you said that will work fine, just make sure you use a low guage wire to ground to the frame, like a welding cable or 0/1 guage wire

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Coeus
        Ok, I want to have one ground wire wired to some type of splitter, then a bunch of other grounds plugged into it. It would be like a distribution block for power, but is there anything I can use?
        How about a grounding block?

        Here's one example of a grounding block:
        http://www.sd-instruments.com/gb-10.htm

        It's just a block or a strip of conductive metal with screwholes tapped for fastening the ground wires.


        You can use nearly anything, but something made of copper or aluminum would be best.


        My plan for wiring my electronics is to wire both a positive power lead to each device, and a seperate ground wire back to the power supply, with the power supply connected to ground.

        If you don't create any loops, you can't have any ground loops or differentials in ground potential..

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bobs987
          you can just use a regular unfused dist. block like you said that will work fine, just make sure you use a low guage wire to ground to the frame, like a welding cable or 0/1 guage wire

          Why such a low guage? I could not use 12 or something?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Coeus
            Why such a low guage? I could not use 12 or something?
            For your wires coming into it, sure, but depends on the load.

            For your wire from it to ground, use 4 or lower.
            [H]4 Life
            My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
            It will be done sometime in the next generation.
            I'm a lesbian too.
            I am for hire!

            Comment


            • #7
              Or solder em all to a big wire and cover the bare part with heat shrink tubing. That's what I did and works great.
              '99 Accord LX
              -------------
              Pics of CarPC Setup

              Comment


              • #8
                I would use 4Ga from the dist block to ground and then you should use wire the same gauge as your 12V wires for whatever you are hooking up. You also want to try to mount your dist block in a place where the wire grounding it and the wires running from it to your devices are as short as possible.
                7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                ATVMS.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  short as possible? hmm, i have my Opus ground running from the back to the front.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X