ground loop isolator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ground loop isolator

Is there any way to build a ground loop isolator?
    In a world without Gates and Windows there are no fences or walls!!

Whay re-invent the wheel.

If you have a ground loop, you should fix it by grounding everything to the same point.
    If for some reason that does not work buy a ground loop.... many are available.... try a search for installs that use them.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I justed wanted to know how the thing works

Comment

That is a different question.... Not sure what parts are used.... sorry.
        TruckinMP3
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

just filters to block frequencies over a certain value....you definitely don't want to use em if you want to retain sound quality. they tend to cut off the highs and lows to get rid of the ground hum

Comment

Its a ferrite core magnet with the wire that you are isolating wrapped around it.
            2.4 celeron
            150 watt OPUS
            micro atx
            xp pro
            tv/radio tuner card
            audigy
            Dual monitor Radeon
            802.11G Mimo
            xm pcr
            dvd
            gps
            8" Lilliput touch screen
            IGuidance
            dual optimas
            battery isolator
            15" screen
            My Truck

Comment

Originally posted by ZenerDiode
              just filters to block frequencies over a certain value....you definitely don't want to use em if you want to retain sound quality. they tend to cut off the highs and lows to get rid of the ground hum

I think that's acceptable...more than earing the sound of the engine

Comment

the best thing is to get 1 and install to alternator thats the most likely cause of your noise

alot of old cars used to have them fitted to the outside of the case

allso cheap car radios have them its the big black block with the power supllys going though them

Comment

alternator

..thing is..how do I do that . By the way since I installed my carPC the sound of my headunit(radio) with FM doesn't work pretty well . If my car is stopped it's just make noises.and if I shutdown the computer the sound comes. The ignition 12V wire is the same could that be it?

Comment

Originally posted by forevertheuni
                    I think that's acceptable...more than earing the sound of the engine
                    yeah, i thought that was acceptable too...until I tried it out. it was actually unlistenable to me.

btw...it really sounds like to have a grounding problem. try to find a bare metal spot to ground both your pc (including various metal pieces like the backing plate) and you HU to...and don't forget the power supply ground.

Comment

Originally posted by ZenerDiode
                      and you HU to...and don't forget the power supply ground.

The Headunit ground wire?

Comment

yep...the headunit ground wire. 95% of the time, the ground that is provided with the plug that goes into your HU is fine...but I've actually seen an install where the guy had to ground the HU to same point as his amp to get rid of the ground loop hum.

btw...what's your setup again?

Comment

Working...
                        X