Homebrew Microchip ICD2 Clone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Microchip ICD2 Clone

I've been asked about this since I mentioned it in another thread. There are several good PIC programmer circuits that can be constructed for < $10 on the web. The big limitation of most of them is the software. Unless the software that controls your programmer supports the PIC you want, you'll be out of luck.

The best way around this is to build a programmer that emulates one of the Microchip designs supported by Microchip's MPLAB development environment. This particular example goes one step further and emulates the Microchip In Circuit Debugger 2. It can program and debug any chip supported by MPLAB. MPLAB almost always has support for newer chips long before anything else.

The circuit I built is more or less exactly the one specified by Lothar Stolz (http://stolz.de.be/icd/main.html) I only changed the transistors to parts I had lying around. You can get all of the parts you need cheaply from Randy at glitchbuster.com or use Digikey, Mouser, Jameco, ... if you want to pay a bit more. The circuit board you can get at radio shack -- or maybe glitchbusters has them too, dunno. I think I spent less than $30 on this.
    2004 4runner

My assembled board -- ugly!
    Attached Files
    2004 4runner

Comment

and the backside solder traces
      Attached Files
      2004 4runner

Comment

If you want to make it cleaner, download the free version of Eagle Schematic/Layout editor and build yourself a nice board. Then order a custom PCB from SparkFun Electronics for only $2.50 per square inch.

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/
        http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.p...190157&cat=86&
        2004 4runner

Comment

ICD is awesome, so much cheaper than the incircuit I built with the huge relay. Great info rando.
          肚子笑痛了
          S60 Install

Comment

Haha kickass thread dude. I built one on a breadboard but I think I messed something up. Mplab connects, gives a few errors, says "ICD2 Ready" then nothing. Guess I'll try looking at the schematic once more.

Ah - also noticed you put the LEDs in...nice touch.

Comment

I added 2 LEDs based on a different schematic that showed which pins they go on. I've only ever seen one of them light up though.

Sorry it's not working for you. Try debugging it a piece at time -- starting with your max232. You can completely ignore the target interface until you get the MPLAB communication part working with your PIC. Did you use the 16F876 or did you try the 876A or 877 or 877A? The MPLAB bootloader is for the 876 only I believe.
              2004 4runner

Comment

Yeah I'm using the 16F877 and it is probally why. I couldn't source a 16F876(non-A for some reason.) I burned the fw to it fine and the website doesn't mention any differences. What I think I'm going to do is just use a different schematic. I found ICD2_clone_3_4.zip (http://icd2clone.narod.ru/) using the 876A and the zip includes the bootloader. So I figure I can try that next....minus the whole SMD thing...

Comment

You can get the 876 at glitchbusters.com. Check out the thread below. There is a link to ICD661.hex bootloader that supposedly will work with an 876A chip. Also a guy in there had problems making the circuit work with an 877 -- just like you.

http://www.picbasic.org/forum/showth...highlight=ICD2
                  2004 4runner

Comment

Heres the PCB I made.

Added a power LED, polarity protection diode, smooting capacitor and a resistor to limit the VPP current just in case of a short. I believed rando blew one of the transistor
                    Attached Files

Comment

Opps, heres the solder side.

Anyone interested in the PCB pattern? Let me know and Ill post it as PDF
                      Attached Files

Comment

Oooh that's nice. What did you use to lay that out with? Also, did you fab that yourself or did you have it done at a PCB house?
                        2004 4runner

Comment

Dam that nice and clean.
                          If you could, please post the pdf of the PCB.
                          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

If you have a Digikey or Mouser quick order list that would help people to get one of these together fairly quickly.
                            2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                              If you have a Digikey or Mouser quick order list that would help people to get one of these together fairly quickly.
                              Thanks Rando, that is one part I forgot to ask.
                              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Working...
                              X