Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Hard Drives

SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE SOLUTION! http://bitmicro.com

These drives have up to 110mb/s transfer SUSTAINED! avaliable in sizes from 512mb upto 160gb .

these are made for the military, but if anyone is interested..

they make 2.5, 3.5, sata, and scsi drives.

maybe we could do a group buy ..
    Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

do u know where they can be obtained? or how much they cost?
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Notebook HDDs take 200G-300G shocks while operating, much less for vibration, but it can be dampened quite easily. What do you plan to mount your HDD to, stunt car?

Group buy or not, solid-state memory is still freaking expensive and will be for a few years to come. Plus solid-states are usually limited to a number of bit flips and, unlike cameras / mp3 players, computers tend to flip bits in some parts of the disk very often.
      Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Comment

no not really.. I have a friend that is talking with them a bit.. and he actually referred me to them.. he works on military stuff..

I was just putting it out there and see what people thought and if anyone kn ew where to buy them.. I'll see what I can find out here soon..
        Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

Originally posted by lastberserker
          Notebook HDDs take 200G-300G shocks while operating, much less for vibration, but it can be dampened quite easily. What do you plan to mount your HDD to, stunt car?
          Which brand/model are you reffering to?
          Group buy or not, solid-state memory is still freaking expensive and will be for a few years to come. Plus solid-states are usually limited to a number of bit flips and, unlike cameras / mp3 players, computers tend to flip bits in some parts of the disk very often.
          Thats what EWF is for.

Comment

I Have been known to do some stunts :-)

the thing impressed me most was the sustained transfer.. with nearly 0 seektime and a sustained rate of close to 100mb/s .. it's the best of both worlds..

I'm personally on a budget and well never get one of these.. unless one falls of an f-16 in my backyard .. I was just throwing this out there as opposed to the CF card style drives I mostly see here for solid state.. and I would do Solidstate only for a boot drive if I did it..

I think with this you could see boot times only limited by Memory bus speed, after POST with this I could see a usable system in 2 maybe 3 seconds.. just my .02
            Shawn

Comment

I think you are adding a 0 to that. Normal lappy drives can take 20-30G while operating and 20-30G is not actually that much for a small object to achieve instantaniously.

Comment

BTW I just browsed their webpages a little. The only product I found with ATA interface is this one:
                http://bitmicro.com/products_acedisk_25_ide.php
                ...and honestly, its parameters suck:

Facilitate Quick Data Transfers
                8.3 MB/sec Burst R/W Rate
                3.8 MB/s Sustained Read Rate
                5.4 MB/s Sustained Write Rate

Any current SanDisk CF card (such as ExtremeII/III) does x times better then this device:
                http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ext3-cf.asp
                Quote: A minimum of 20MB/sec sequential write and read speed, which allows ...

Comment

true.. I read more and the high end ones seem to be in Dev still.. oh well..

nothiong to see here move along..
                  Shawn

Comment

200-300G for laptop drives is about right.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115453,00.asp

Comment

I had an M-Systems 512MB ide flash disk that I used for a simple boot of XP Lite .......well - it sucked. Sometimes the bios would recognize it, other times no - it was really weird. Also, it was noticeably slower than a standard hard drive. I have no problems using a regular hard drive in my carcomputers. I still have the solid state drive.....in a shoe box.
                      Check out my SQ Competition carputer install

Comment

Originally posted by LagunaICE
                        Which brand/model are you reffering to?
                        One in my sig, for example: Seagate ST960822A (250G x 2msec operating, 900G x 1msec non-operating). I'm pretty confident it'll survive most stunts (those that don't kill the driver )
                        Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Comment

Those M-Systems DOC's aren't that good for speed. It's not a solid state drive though, just flash. They're mostly meant for small "light-weight" devices that just need reliable storage rather than quick bootup time. Their new uDOC seems to be much better. I've got one on the way. Should be here this week hopefully. They claim it's the fastest embedded storage solution yet. At the very least it'll match my ExtremeIII but without the hassle of the fixed vs removable drive issue.
                          EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                          Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                          OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                          Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                          BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                          VoomPC 2

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito
                            Those M-Systems DOC's aren't that good for speed. It's not a solid state drive though, just flash. They're mostly meant for small "light-weight" devices that just need reliable storage rather than quick bootup time. Their new uDOC seems to be much better. I've got one on the way. Should be here this week hopefully. They claim it's the fastest embedded storage solution yet. At the very least it'll match my ExtremeIII but without the hassle of the fixed vs removable drive issue.
                            Let us know how it performs!!
                            Check out my SQ Competition carputer install

Comment

Yeah, for the current cost of solid state stuff, I'll just keep ghostin' my carPC hdd, and restore to a new drive when this one craps out.
                              Tidder

Try RevFE
                              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Working...
                              X