Temperature sensors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature sensors

Somebody should make temperature sensors to monitor outside temperatures and such.

Kind of related: I just got the overhead computer for my car working (bought it off ebay) and I've been looking for a temperature sensor for it...I found that one off of a motherboard works, but I destroyed two of them since they are so small and hard to remove from a mobo. (Don't worry, I used old broken socket 7 mobos in my attempts). I don't want to order off digikey, because the shipping would be brutal. Anyone have any other ghetto ideas (or non-ghetto) on where to get a temp sensor?

Also, BAF, what you could do is just buy one of those temperature monitoring displays that fit on the front of your case that are normally used for monitoring hd temps, and instead of putting the temp sensor on a hd or whatever, just extend the wires and put it somewhere outside (A good place would be in front of the radiator, I believe).
    1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
    PC built into console
    worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

There are plenty out there search on google.

Comment

phidgets

Comment

Dallas 1-wire net temp sensors are about the best. I'm working on geting mine connected to the serial port. A kit for them can be bought for around $25 but that only allows you to connect 4 sensors. If you use an adaptor from dallas then you can suport hundreds (maby thousands) of them on one set of wires.

Comment

Originally posted by hcker2000
            Dallas 1-wire net temp sensors are about the best. I'm working on geting mine connected to the serial port. A kit for them can be bought for around $25 but that only allows you to connect 4 sensors. If you use an adaptor from dallas then you can suport hundreds (maby thousands) of them on one set of wires.
            I got some dallas ones (DS1820 ). Only played with them so far but nice. You can hook as many as you want up on a one wire bus.
            GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Nevermind my request for a ghetto source for a temp sensor...I found one more mobo and got it off successfully...and it works great.
              1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
              PC built into console
              worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

Originally posted by shotgunefx
                I got some dallas ones (DS1820 ). Only played with them so far but nice. You can hook as many as you want up on a one wire bus.
                How did you interface them? I'm working on using a usb to 1-wire chip.

Comment

How did you interface them? I'm working on using a usb to 1-wire chip.
                  With a pic. Here's an example with source.
                  GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Ahh nice. Do you use the lcd or did you just hook it up to pc with some software to read it? If you are using your pc any chance you would program a pic for me?

Comment

Ahh nice. Do you use the lcd or did you just hook it up to pc with some software to read it? If you are using your pc any chance you would program a pic for me?
                      Through a PC serial port. Honestly, no time. I've got 20 odd projects I'm working on, never mind work stuff. My PIC RGB lighting controller has been languishing for weeks now.

Grab this book or borrow it from your library.

Should tell you everything you need to know to program a PIC using C. It'll tell you how to communicate with RS-232 and how to drive an LCD if that's what you desire. It doesn't cover the dallas specifically though.

Or you could get the example code off his site and try and work it out from there. My little test was on saved on my storage array which unfortunately is still down or I'd just send you what I had.

Comment

Alright I can under stand that. Any links to a cheap but good pic programer? Also if you get your code back shoot it off to hcker2000@gmail.com if you would. I am also going to take another look at the code you posted.

Comment

You can build the bootloader from the other thread in this forum or buy a cheap usb one from kitsrus.com.

Comment

Alright I can under stand that. Any links to a cheap but good pic programer? Also if you get your code back shoot it off to hcker2000@gmail.com if you would. I am also going to take another look at the code you posted.
                            You can make your own, but I just got a Olimex PGC1 or PGC2 programmer. Under 20 bucks and you don't have to worry if your problem is the circuit your working on, or the programmer circuit you built.

You can get them from Phanderson or Sparkfun.com

You might also want to get an Olimex development board. Both places have them. Basically it has a power barrel, serial connector, MAX232 (for serial driving) and a 4 or 20MHZ crystal all built in and an In circuit serial header. Not bad for the price.

Literally, you'll just need to wire up TX and RX to the max232 and the hardware side of talking to a PC is done.

Comment

Originally posted by BAF
                              Somebody should make temperature sensors to monitor outside temperatures and such.
                              www.kitsrus.com -- Kit number 145 (directly Supported in RR).
                              Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                              "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Working...
                              X