Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pc integration for Smartire pressure system or Back up sensors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pc integration for Smartire pressure system or Back up sensors

    I was wondering if anyone tried to integrate the Smartire Tire monitoring system to a car pc? How hard would it be?

    What about those back up sensors for the bumpers that we all see on ebay?
    Thanks again!
    -Jack
    2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
    Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

  • #2
    I'm planning to do something with backup sensors, except I'll install 2 sensors in the front and 2 in the back. Still don't know how I'll manage to do that, but I will eventually
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

    1995 Lexus SC300

    Comment


    • #3
      I cant wait to see the finished product.

      I am going to purchase one of those units on ebay and see how it communicates with the display.
      -Jack
      2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
      Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

      Comment


      • #4
        Funny (kinda) related topic

        My dad's 2000 Corvette has some integrated tire pressure gage and it's very flakey. When he first got it (new in spring 2000) it misred the tire pressure and wouldn't let the car go over 50mph. That sucked for me, 'cause I wanted to see what the car would do!

        Are you thinking of getting the voice to read you the tire pressure if it gets below a nominal value?

        "Right rear tire pressure is low. Car needs air badly!"
        Car: 1997 VW Passat TDI moving to
        1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D
        CPU: HP ePC 1gig/256meg/250 gig
        Status: Ghetto Install w/Inverter,
        Xenarc & GPS & RadioShark
        ToGo: DC-to-DC conversion, Grease conversion

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kamakazie2
          I was wondering if anyone tried to integrate the Smartire Tire monitoring system to a car pc? How hard would it be?

          What about those back up sensors for the bumpers that we all see on ebay?
          Thanks again!
          Is smartire a specific brand of tps? I was reading an article on autospeed.com about splitting ABS and traction so you can disable TC via switch without loosing ABS. (I've wanted that for awhile) Long story short, reading up on the sensors gave me an idea.

          If you have for wheel speed sensors, you can use them to measure (roughly) tire inflation. Many oem systems do just that. I think the system is usually called Differential Tire Pressure Monitoring (DTPS). They compare the 4 speed signals, if one is faster, the tire is smaller and therefor underinflated. It doesn't help if they all lose an equal amount over time though.

          Shouldn't be to hard with a PIC. It's on my list of things to do
          GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shotgunefx
            Is smartire a specific brand of tps? I was reading an article on autospeed.com about splitting ABS and traction so you can disable TC via switch without loosing ABS. (I've wanted that for awhile) Long story short, reading up on the sensors gave me an idea.

            If you have for wheel speed sensors, you can use them to measure (roughly) tire inflation. Many oem systems do just that. I think the system is usually called Differential Tire Pressure Monitoring (DTPS). They compare the 4 speed signals, if one is faster, the tire is smaller and therefor underinflated. It doesn't help if they all lose an equal amount over time though.

            Shouldn't be to hard with a PIC. It's on my list of things to do

            I like that idea, however how would we differentiate when the car goes around turns? Maybe if we link the tire speed based on side instead of comparing with all 4.

            Smartire is a system that you install in the rim prior to installing a tire. Its a band that measures inflation and wirelessly transmits the info to a reader.

            http://www.smartire.com/
            -Jack
            2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
            Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 0l33l
              I'm planning to do something with backup sensors, except I'll install 2 sensors in the front and 2 in the back. Still don't know how I'll manage to do that, but I will eventually
              don't forget to mount some in the sides linked up to a warning sound or a camera!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kamakazie2
                I like that idea, however how would we differentiate when the car goes around turns? Maybe if we link the tire speed based on side instead of comparing with all 4.

                Smartire is a system that you install in the rim prior to installing a tire. Its a band that measures inflation and wirelessly transmits the info to a reader.

                http://www.smartire.com/
                Good point. Well I suppose you would see a change in both tires so that could be an input. But I think the because the baseline is averaged out over quite an amount of time, turning I would think would be factored in by the averaging.

                You could always use an accelerometer. I've got a Memsic one. I haven't installed it yet (but have played with it) as I don't know if I'm going to use it to measure vehicle movement or as a tilt sensor for the steering wheel.

                I'd really like to have my driving lights turn with the steering wheel. They make steering sensors (Basically big potentiometer) but they are big, big bucks. The problem with the accelerometer I need to work out is that my wheel turns multiple times. Not a big deal to calibrate out, but just haven't had the time. Plus I have to fabricate brackets for the lights.
                GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by shotgunefx
                  Good point. Well I suppose you would see a change in both tires so that could be an input. But I think the because the baseline is averaged out over quite an amount of time, turning I would think would be factored in by the averaging.

                  You could always use an accelerometer. I've got a Memsic one. I haven't installed it yet (but have played with it) as I don't know if I'm going to use it to measure vehicle movement or as a tilt sensor for the steering wheel.

                  I'd really like to have my driving lights turn with the steering wheel. They make steering sensors (Basically big potentiometer) but they are big, big bucks. The problem with the accelerometer I need to work out is that my wheel turns multiple times. Not a big deal to calibrate out, but just haven't had the time. Plus I have to fabricate brackets for the lights.

                  I would love to take that idea and relate that to my reverse camera. As you turn the wheel in reverse it will pivot the camera to see where your car is going.
                  -Jack
                  2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
                  Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kamakazie2
                    I would love to take that idea and relate that to my reverse camera. As you turn the wheel in reverse it will pivot the camera to see where your car is going.
                    Way ahead of ya! (Note the servo)

                    Another easier option (that I might take) is to wire it to your blinkers and just have it deflect when you use them.
                    GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by angusn
                      My dad's 2000 Corvette has some integrated tire pressure gage and it's very flakey. When he first got it (new in spring 2000) it misred the tire pressure and wouldn't let the car go over 50mph. That sucked for me, 'cause I wanted to see what the car would do!

                      Are you thinking of getting the voice to read you the tire pressure if it gets below a nominal value?

                      "Right rear tire pressure is low. Car needs air badly!"
                      What do you expect? Its a corvette

                      I wouldn't do the tire pressure stuff, because you need special wheels, atleast on the SC430.
                      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

                      1995 Lexus SC300

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Major bump...

                        I have a smartire system and I need to do just this. It consists of the four transmitters on the wheels and a radio receiver that mounts inside. The nice thing is that the received has a remote display option that uses 10 pins. I believe this is some kind of serial RS-232 interface, however I can't confirm that just yet. It also has another 10 pin connection on the receiver that connects to something other than the remote display.

                        If it is serial, software may be developed to read the thing with Labview. Anyone else interested in this?
                        Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
                        DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by pastypyro
                          Major bump...

                          I have a smartire system and I need to do just this. It consists of the four transmitters on the wheels and a radio receiver that mounts inside. The nice thing is that the received has a remote display option that uses 10 pins. I believe this is some kind of serial RS-232 interface, however I can't confirm that just yet. It also has another 10 pin connection on the receiver that connects to something other than the remote display.

                          If it is serial, software may be developed to read the thing with Labview. Anyone else interested in this?
                          I wonder if it actually uses all 10 pins. I would think it's serial myself, but might be byte oriented.
                          GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It may, as the 10th pin could be +12V for the remote display?

                            I'm not sure. I might get at the thing with a scope and a couple buddies soon. We have it installed on a car for a university research project that I'm putting a CarPC in and we'd like to monitor all of our information in teh vehicle with our PC, including this.

                            Edit: I now believe it is serial. I looked up the specs on one of the IC's inside the remote display and it is a serial transmitter utilizing RS-232 and RS-485 I believe. I have never heard of the 485 before, but I'll see what I can do about it.
                            Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
                            DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X