PIC checking voltage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIC checking voltage?

Hey everyone. I have a quick question. I want to design a PIC interface with my computer. One of the things I want is to check the voltage of my battery and send red flags up if it goes too low. Now, I know of ADC (Analog-digital converters), but not how to use them. I can't find a website either. Can anyone give me a quick tutorial, schematic and code, or anything? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by KyleYankan
    Hey everyone. I have a quick question. I want to design a PIC interface with my computer. One of the things I want is to check the voltage of my battery and send red flags up if it goes too low. Now, I know of ADC (Analog-digital converters), but not how to use them. I can't find a website either. Can anyone give me a quick tutorial, schematic and code, or anything? Thanks in advance.
    http://www.rentron.com/serial.htm

You will find what your looking for

Mastero

Comment

PIC Basic? *gag*
      MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
      Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

PICBasic? Never heard of it. I'm on my way to fireworks, il read tha ttonight though. thanks.

Comment

http://www.winpicprog.co.uk/pic_tutorial11.htm

Comment

You should probably put a zener on the input pin just to keep it within the 5V range so it doesn't damage anything and increase those resistors for the higher volts.

Comment

Well I just read that the PIC16F877A has 8 A2D inputs, so I ordered them and a few 4.0 mhz crystals. It's too bad I can't find any C code, because that's what I was hoping to program the rest in.

Comment

That's why I decided on the 18F2455. With the guys here using it and all the source and C compilers, it was easy. I've already got driverless USB I/O going.
                You can search forum.microchip.com for anything related. Something good might show up.

Comment

Kyle: I think I have some C code for the 874 (same ports as 877 I believe) which was supposed to be a 0-1.5V battery tester using one pin of the ADC. If you think it would be any use I'll dig it up and any docs that went with it.

Comment

rsd: if it's not too much trouble. IT makes me want t ogo back and get an assembly book. there's like NO c code for pics on the internet. at least any that I see.

Comment

Ok, this is looking real easy now. Microchip C would look something like this (I hope):

TRISA = 0xFF; // Set all port A to input (or just the ones you want)
                      ADCON0 = 1; // Turn A/D on
                      ADCON0 = (7 << 3) | 1; // Set ADC to AN7 (bits 5,4,3) + leave ADC on
                      ADCON0 |= 2; // GO (or ADCON0bits.GO = 1)
                      while(ADCON0bits.NOT_DONE); // wait on bit 1 for completion

// Some result buffer...
                      result[0] = ADRESL;
                      result[1] = ADRESH;

I didn't add the Fosc/x bits. You'll just have to play with the timing stuff.

Comment

Similar code written for PICC compiler, slightly more readable IMHO.

// Creating the long integer
                        long int ADC_Num;
                        // Setting up Port A to do ADC on Pin 2
                        // (Note: Pin 2 is A0)
                        setup_port_a(ALL_ANALOG);
                        setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL);
                        set_adc_channel(0);
                        // Allowing a delay to make sure the ADC
                        // works properly
                        delay_us(20);
                        // Getting the value from the ADC port
                        ADC_Num = read_adc();

It uses functions which are defined for the CCS inc compiler though, so you'd need their headers to compile it.

Comment

I am hoping you don't want to measure over 5V's do you?

Comment

The ADC measures up to the supply voltage only. You take the Vcc voltage and divide by the resolution and this gives volts/bit. To measure over 5V (or 3.3 or whatever you're running at - PICs can take a good range) you will need to step it down somehow. I'd recommend just a voltage divider. Not entirely accurate but really you're just looking to create a threshold to trip the pic, so if you use a POT as one half of your divider, you can adjust.

Comment

If you want to display it, I would think drop it down so it gets most of the range around 7 to 15 and you could display 1 or 2 decimal places too, maybe.

Comment

Working...
                              X