Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy electrical components??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where to buy electrical components??

    I need to find the following parts to build a circuit for the MAX724 swithcing regulator chip. Radio Shack does not carry all of these parts I'm told...

    2.21K resistor
    2.8k resistor
    2.7k resistor
    470 uF polarized capacitor
    220uF polarized capacitor
    0.01uF regular capacitor
    MBR745 diode
    50uH inductor

    Does anybody know where I could purchase all these parts either online or somewhere in the Phoenix, AZ area? Thanks, I can't seem to find the inductor or diode anywhere. And also a couple of those resistor values seem hard to find as well. Where do you guys buy your parts?

  • #2
    Try digi-key, and Mouser electronics. They should be easy to find on .

    Can I just ask why you would do a switching regulator, that requires several external components, will be harder to build and to source the parts, when a linear needs just 3 parts that are easy to find?

    Michael

    Originally posted by spdyscotty
    I need to find the following parts to build a circuit for the MAX724 swithcing regulator chip. Radio Shack does not carry all of these parts I'm told...

    2.21K resistor
    2.8k resistor
    2.7k resistor
    470 uF polarized capacitor
    220uF polarized capacitor
    0.01uF regular capacitor
    MBR745 diode
    50uH inductor

    Does anybody know where I could purchase all these parts either online or somewhere in the Phoenix, AZ area? Thanks, I can't seem to find the inductor or diode anywhere. And also a couple of those resistor values seem hard to find as well. Where do you guys buy your parts?
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Alrighty, I am gonna make a comment here I could get fired for: Radio Shack no longer carries anything you could possibly need to complete such a project. If you need complex electrical components, go somewhere else.

      Such as:

      www.Mouser.com (my favorite)
      www.digikey.com (antique ordering system, but carries things mouser doesn't carry, sometimes)
      2000 Subaru OBS

      Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
      7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
      80GB External HD

      I am Zero Bitrate....

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Wiredwrx
        Try digi-key, and Mouser electronics. They should be easy to find on .

        Can I just ask why you would do a switching regulator, that requires several external components, will be harder to build and to source the parts, when a linear needs just 3 parts that are easy to find?

        Michael
        I think it's the challenge I don't see a particular problem with playing around with something that most people avoid. And potentially no heat sink. Either way, should be fun.
        I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

        Comment


        • #5
          The reason was that I need atleast 1500mA. Also, after seeing that my USB harddrive needs some more power also, I may actually need close to 2 Amps. If there is a simplier way to supply this much power I rather do so. Let me know if there is!

          Comment


          • #6
            Okay wow. I think i'm slightly over my head. I can't figure out which parts to select. Could someone find it in their hart to list mouser/digikey part numbers??? This had got me stumpted.

            Scott

            Comment


            • #7
              512-MBR745 for the diode
              660-CZB2AFLTE500P for the inductor

              And I am gonna leave it up to you to find the proper resistors. I don't know the wattage, size, form factor, etc.
              2000 Subaru OBS

              Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
              7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
              80GB External HD

              I am Zero Bitrate....

              Comment


              • #8
                FYI, I think the shipping from Mouser is pretty damn high. I was surprised at checkout when I was ordering. Cheap would be a local hole-in-the-wall electronics store if you can find one. The ones I've gone to in LA almost always just round to some random amount. If I have a assortment of resistors and capacitors, they just look at it and say "eeeh, 50 cents?"

                Try a local store first.

                -psyrex
                Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
                Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
                Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
                Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
                ...it never ends

                Comment


                • #9
                  kiltjim - Thank's for those part numbers.
                  psyrex - Good point, I'll look into what is out my way. I don't know of any, but that big ol' yellow book might.

                  Also, as far as "wattage, size, form factor, etc.", what would be the best to use for my application of the MAX724 regulator?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rushnrockt
                    I think it's the challenge I don't see a particular problem with playing around with something that most people avoid. And potentially no heat sink. Either way, should be fun.
                    I wholeheartedly agree, but I did small stuff before I built my first regulated PS. ALso, please don't take this the wrong way spdy, He can't even manage to find the part numbers for the parts list you have given him.

                    Certainly he should start small, say soldering 4 components, then 10. Less to trouble shoot. Less to solder. Easier schematic. Hmmmm, just seems like maybe he should crawl before he runs.

                    Michael
                    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well, I'm confident I can build it. I just need to know exactly what parts to use; that's all. I have experiance with soldering and circuit boards, I just do not know what components to buy.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So, I can not figure out the rest of the part numbers to order. Can anyone lend a hand? Also, shipping from Mouser is about $5.50; half of what digikey charges. So, I should be able to get all the components for under $10, not bad.

                        Scott

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well, now that I looked at it, for 5A out you are definetly want regular thru-hole resistors, and something that is a little higher wattage. They shouldn't need to be more than 1w. But I'd prefer to have someone better than I look at the circuit.

                          And nevermind that inductor I pointed you to. Use this one: 70-IH-3-50
                          The other one would never handle the current.
                          2000 Subaru OBS

                          Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
                          7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
                          80GB External HD

                          I am Zero Bitrate....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            kiltjim - Alright thanks for all your assistance.

                            Can anyone else out there figure out a more detailed parts list for this project?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              http://digikey.com is good. but sometimes the selection can be overwhelmind
                              http://mouser.com is another good one
                              Allied Electronics and Newark are good for more electromechanical types of things.
                              http://jameco.com is pretty good too. Think of it as what radio shack used to be only lager


                              Some good surplus suppliers that usually have good deals are:
                              http://allelectronics.com
                              http://bgmicro.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X