timed relay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timed relay?

im after a relay that when triggered with a quick pulse will stay connected for about 2 mins then shut off..
    something like a turbo timer but with out the price?
    View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Originally posted by djmickyg
    im after a relay that when triggered with a quick pulse will stay connected for about 2 mins then shut off..
    Someone posted a link to those relays once. They were pretty damn expensive!
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

yeah ive had a search around here and only found them..
      there is gota be an easy way to build one..
      i was gona search the net some more but i figured someone here might know

there is a cheap turbo timber on ebay au for au$30 which would do what i want..
      View My Blog

Comment

If you're into DIY projects and know how to use a soldering iron, use the 555 IC chip.
        Run a Google search on Time Delay 555 and see the examples. To make it do the work for you, use a proper relay on the other end (insead of LEDs as they appear in many examples). You will be able to set the time correctly (up to 10 mins) by getting the correct amount of resistance and capacity (you'll see those in the various examples).
        Good luck.
        For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
        Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
        Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

I bought a DEI 528T pulse timer relay on ebay for $25. Retail is $49. There's some on ebay right now for less than $20 shipped, can't beat that IMO.

They work great too. But the details on those auctions are incorrect, it's max 15 amps. Any more and you need to use it with a seperate relay.
          In progress: M10000; Travla c134; Xenarc 700TSV; Hitachi 80GB 2.5"; 256MB ULP; M2-ATX; ITPS; Powermate; iKEY SL-88 KB; Holux GM-210; Audiobahn ADD51T w/ COAX/optical converter; Road Runner; iGuidance 2.1

Comment

http://www.hometech.com/brains/timers.html

scroll down to the ELK-960

I use that right now, after ~60 seconds (which you can change from a few seconds up to 60 minutes, I just happen to use 60 seconds), it cuts off the relay so when I hit the switch to shut off my opus, if a software lockup occurs, I can walk away and not worry about my battery being drained (which happened to me before I bought this timer).

The timer is VERY programmable, you can set it to start counting when you switch the input high, switch it low, cut off the input, all that jazz. I think it can repeat, a bunch of other stuff.

I forget where I bought it, was too long ago. The link I gave above is around $21 (before s/h), and that's right around what I paid. May be able to find it for cheaper, I dunno.

Nice product too. Relay can't handle a LOT of current though. I intentionally just bought a 30 AMP relay as well for a couple of bucks. That way this fancy relay just controls the 30 AMP relay. Has worked beautifully for me thus far.

Good luck

Comment

http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-960.htm

there's the product page direct from the manufacturer

Comment

you can look into the pac tr-7.. it has a lot of features & can do what you are looking for too
                MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

This is what I got from a friend of mine when ask him for a timer relay for a little project that I have in mind

It work for 0-15 min.

Thanatos.
                  Attached Files
                  RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                  We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

He said >>>

Originally posted by djmickyg
                    People dont read anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DJiK
                      If you're into DIY projects and know how to use a soldering iron, use the 555 IC chip.
                      Run a Google search on Time Delay 555 and see the examples. To make it do the work for you, use a proper relay on the other end (insead of LEDs as they appear in many examples). You will be able to set the time correctly (up to 10 mins) by getting the correct amount of resistance and capacity (you'll see those in the various examples).
                      Good luck.
                      Thats right, problem with 555 monostable is that they are negative going pulse triggered. This can be converted to positive pulse trigger by using a transistor, inverter or even just another relay.

Comment

I used around 5000uF worth of capacitors and a Bosch relay. At 12v, it holds the relay charged for about 1-1/2 minutes. The one catch is that you need to hold the switch long enough for the caps to charge - shouldn't take more than a second or two.

Not as exact as a timer, but if you're okay with a few seconds of variability, this is a simple and cheap way of doing it.
                        http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                        CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                        Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

I have two DEI 528T, and love them. I didnt pay anywhere near 20 bucks for them. shop around, youll find em cheap.

Comment

thanks everyone for the links and info
                            im looking into it now..

ive used 555 times b4 so i might have a crack at them first b4 buying anything
                            View My Blog

Comment

Think so Whiteabbit? Post a link.

They're $9 on ebay, plus another $9 shipping for the first one. Buy three or four and the cost per timer goes down substantially. But if you only need one. . .
                              In progress: M10000; Travla c134; Xenarc 700TSV; Hitachi 80GB 2.5"; 256MB ULP; M2-ATX; ITPS; Powermate; iKEY SL-88 KB; Holux GM-210; Audiobahn ADD51T w/ COAX/optical converter; Road Runner; iGuidance 2.1

Comment

Working...
                              X