No announcement yet.

Touchscreen to Pocket PC mod possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touchscreen to Pocket PC mod possible?

I was just wondering if anyone had tried to hook up a 7 or 8" touchscreen to a Pocket PC in place of its existing panel. It would be awesome hacked up and mounted into the dash.

i've seen a pda fabbed into the dash in one of the project threads here, but i don't recall seeing a pda outputting to vga, although I imagine this could be easily achieved using one of these http://www.expansys-usa.com/product....artner=froogle
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

I don't want "VGA out" as such. Basically I want to remove the PPC touchscreen entirely and wire the larger screen directly to the PCB.

Comment

I'm wondering if resolution will be a problem. I don't know how programable the video controllers are inside a pda.

Comment

Originally posted by judicat0r
          I don't want "VGA out" as such. Basically I want to remove the PPC touchscreen entirely and wire the larger screen directly to the PCB.
          what's the benefit?
          Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

well, the lilliput controller has drivers for WinCE and there are VGA output adapters (or some PDA's that actually have VGA out built-in). you could try that...
            EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
            Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
            OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
            Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
            BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
            VoomPC 2

Comment

Originally posted by judicat0r
              no.

ok that was too simple. basically the lcd uses a totally different system from the pcb to the lcd to display. its not a standard like vga. in most cases, id bank on it being totally proprietary.

you would be much better off with either a sdio or cf to vga conversion OR a full pc.

i love my axim x30 too much to hack it open for a vga mod. pda's like the x50v have a vga resolution screen, but then again, its only a 3.5 inch screen.
              1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
              Pictures
              Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

this is another option: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59778

the gumstix has a breakout board with LCD output... WinCE support is still in the works, but it's gotten pretty far already.
                EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                VoomPC 2

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I might just live with the smaller screen for now.

Comment

Just thought I'd chuck in a basic diagram of what I'm planning. Any thoughts/ recommendations?

Comment

Windows mobile on 7 inch touchscreen

Judicat0r is right - outputing a windows mobile to a 7inch touchscreen (just into the nav connector of a 2 din chinese style device)would make a very low power consuming car pc with nav, fast internet, hands-free calls and perhaps with a nice foldable bluetooth keyboard and hey presto. I have anhtc universal I would love to modify for this purpose. Anyone ever try this?

Comment

I have thought of doing this too and done a little testing with my Axim x51v. Plugged into a VGA monitor in portrait mode (+ mirror - mirrors the image on the pda to the vga out port) works a treat and looks great (no mods to the PDA just the VGA out cable). TomTom and iGo work although, of course, you have to control them from the PDA's touch screen. When you go into landscape mode though (+mirror), neither sat nav system works - iGo crashes with an error and TomTom just hangs on the splash screen.

Note that iGO and TomTom work in landscape mode when mirror is off.

I reckon it would be pretty easy to hook a different TS into it without too big a mod (e.g. through the CF card maybe?)

But production of Axims has stopped now so no firmware upgrades, no OS upgrades, and no replacements if you turn it into a paperweight.

Comment

Working...
                        X