RS232 Controllable FM Tuner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS232 Controllable FM Tuner

I know that there has been a project underway by Rando, Seth and racemier for quite a while now and I'm not trying to over-shadow their efforts because I think they're doing a great job.

I've been in discussions with a company that already develops a rack-mountable RS-232 controllable TV/FM tuner for high-end home theatre installations about manufacturing a smaller version of their product which runs on 12v and only provides FM tuning (and possibly AM). It would be a very high quality tuner which supports the Motorola antenna connection found in most cars. Obviously the software interface guys would need to add support for the unit to their apps but this would be pretty straight-forward.

The minimum order for a project like this is >1,000 units so I need to gauge people's interest in such a device and how much they would be willing to pay? The likely price range would be $200 - $300. Also would you be willing to place a deposit for the device and receive it ~3 months later.

Promising.

This sounds promosing. This community has just been waiting to impliment FM radio into thier builds. However I know 200-300 dollers is a rip off. I'm sure thats a number close to what they've quoted you and that thier claiming "high" quality. But your talking to guys/gals that think 320kb mp3 rips are bad sound quality.

Just so you know we've got XM radio hacked and documented to play on our pc's for just under 50.00.

I'd be more willing to pay 30-70 for serial or usb. With a programmable interface.
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

I would have to agree with Intellaworks on that one. We have both XM and Sirius, which are both far better than standard FM. Digital in, digital out. And the software to run them is getting better every day.

I was really hoping for the other card to come out, just for the local FM broadcasts, but wasn't thinking it would cost nearly as much as you say. If it were $50 it would go on the list of affordable stuff, that I would really want, but can't afford anyway.

And when you say 12v, if they do go through with it, make sure it runs on a very wide voltage range, 10-15 volts I think would be good.
      2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
      7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
      80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Originally posted by kiltjim
        I would have to agree with Intellaworks on that one. We have both XM and Sirius, which are both far better than standard FM.
        Which is all very well for you people that have XM and Sirius available in your country...

Comment

Good point. You could move, right?
          2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
          7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
          80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

If XM/Sirus is a no option for me, I would buy the AM/FM "radio shuck" and play around to make car antena for it. Pray to see if the quality is acceptable instead of spend 200-300 buck on something that work or suck like most of computer radio.
            Worst case, a hidden car am/fm radio will work everytime.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I didn't mean to shoot your plans down so please don't be discouraged. I think for the right price the demand for this product would be substancial.
              Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
              Via EPIA MII
              512MB RAM
              OEM GPS (embedded)
              nLite WinXP pro on
              1GB Extreme III CF card
              Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
              Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Originally posted by IntellaWorks
                I didn't mean to shoot your plans down so please don't be discouraged. I think for the right price the demand for this product would be substancial.
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

If this product (or any other with good quality) were to be available for $150 and have RDS (very important in a car) and good reception in a moving vehicle, I would be ordering a high number.

Deposit is no problem either.
                  List of front-ends/usefull apps
                  XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

So ok, I think I got this right...

You order 1000 units or more and then sell for $200-$300?
                    FM only?
                    User need to develop their own application?
                    Serial port only?

Not to put you off but I dont think its competitive enough, price or feature wise.

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                      If XM/Sirus is a no option for me, I would buy the AM/FM "radio shuck" and play around to make car antena for it.
                      Reception aside, another problem with the radio shuck is the crappy piece of software that it comes with. A major PITA to skin into a front end, and virtually impossible to do it well.

Comment

For that price, I'm not interested. I mean, that's a lot of money for something like that. I'd rather just relocate my head unit, and put it on a toggle switch. Switch it on when I want to listen to the radio.

Yes, not as clever as something controlled by the PC, but until the cost comes down, much more practical.
                        www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Yeah much cheaper to buy a complete HU and hack it.

I wont go ahead selling if I were you, unless you can bring the price down to a much affordable level. By the look of it, look like poeple here are only willing to pay $50-75.

Comment

I thought the price was a bit high, but the manufacturer just won't come down because they use high quality components. Their standard TV/FM tuner for home theatre installations retails for around $500 as it is a high-end rack-mountable component, but I guess when everyone on this forum says they want a high quality tuner they aren't really willing to pay for it.

I'm from Australia so XM is not an option for me or the other 6 billion non-americans on this planet.

Thanks to everyone for their honest feedback though.

Comment

To be honest, I can go out an buy a $100 headunit w/cd or a $25 headunit w/tapedeck and the reception would be the same. Why would I pay 3x that just to listen to the radio? Good idea, but just a little too expensive for FM tuning IMO.
                              2011 Nissan Frontier SL
                              AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
                              OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Working...
                              X