Controlling Air Bags?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling Air Bags?

Has any one used their car computer to control aftermarket air bags? I did a search and know about the relay controller board. I only saw one person who did it and he didn't give much info. Any info is appreciated thanks!
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

Originally posted by Spaceboy464
    Has any one used their car computer to control aftermarket air bags? I did a search and know about the relay controller board. I only saw one person who did it and he didn't give much info. Any info is appreciated thanks!
    I really don't think your PC is the best way to do that. You need dedicated hardware (and software) designed by people who know what they are doing.

Comment

hum...I wanted to use the computer to control the up and down. It's for a friend's truck.

Comment

Oh, you mean like suspension air bags? That is different... I believe we thought you meant the bags that deploy during an accident... I guess the word "aftermarket" was the only clue.
        I was imagining windows popping up an alert:
        A collision has been detected and the airbags will deploy. -O- Click here to not show this message again.
        Carputer status: [-*---------]
        Im thinking laptop...

Comment

the up and down? not sure what you mean by this.

airbags are somthing that would refered to as a safety critical system. Deciated hardware and software should be used and tested extenisivly. Not somthing that you leave up to a personal computer to sort out.

Nor do i want to be driving on the same road as your buddies truck when a bug in the software is discovered that deploys the bags for no reason, blinding him.
          My Install

Software:
          CFiG v1
          iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
          Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
          StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy464
            hum...I wanted to use the computer to control the up and down. It's for a friend's truck.
            Might want to make it more clear. I think everyone assumed the same thing, that you wanted to control the driver/passenger airbags

Not that familar with the electronics on those things, but shouldn't be too hard. What are the controls like on your friends system?
            GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Originally posted by shizzle
              Oh, you mean like suspension air bags? That is different... I believe we thought you meant the bags that deploy during an accident... I guess the word "aftermarket" was the only clue.
              ha, that would make more sense.....
              My Install

Software:
              CFiG v1
              iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
              Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
              StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Like the bags on the 90's continental's that busted every six months?
                Carputer status: [-*---------]
                Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by shizzle
                  Haha ya I should be more specific. I mean the suspension air bags not like the SRS ones. That would be interesting though.

Comment

Originally posted by shotgunefx
                    Might want to make it more clear. I think everyone assumed the same thing, that you wanted to control the driver/passenger airbags

Not that familar with the electronics on those things, but shouldn't be too hard. What are the controls like on your friends system?
                    Haven't inspected the truck yet. I'm going to look at it soon. It's really a friend of a friend's. Im hooking him up in return for advertising and I was telling him about a carpc so hes like DO IT! Nite guys.

Comment

I think they're just basically controlled by a pnuematic distribution node with various ports. If the relay in one port of the node gets a signal then it closes the bleed valve to inflate the bag, and opens it when there isn't one to deflate it (or vice versa)

That's how it was when I used to have a pneumatic force feedback flightsim chair.... I would imagine that it'd be similar in concept.

Comment

this should be pretty easy to do.... the bags are controlled by solinoids that can be controlled by relays real easily.... either phidgets or relay control or girder should be able to do this no problem..... if your doing fast bags it would be interesting to see you set upo a pre programmed dance routine....... the programming will be your real challenge with this I think & there will be a slight delay in response through the computer......

you could also set the system up with a direct remote interface with pc as aux. control.....

it's funny how everyone thought you ment controlling the srs, that could be pretty cool when the wife is *****ing.... just pop the pass bag to shut her up for a while
                        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                          this should be pretty easy to do.... the bags are controlled by solinoids that can be controlled by relays real easily.... either phidgets or relay control or girder should be able to do this no problem..... if your doing fast bags it would be interesting to see you set upo a pre programmed dance routine....... the programming will be your real challenge with this I think & there will be a slight delay in response through the computer......

you could also set the system up with a direct remote interface with pc as aux. control.....

it's funny how everyone thought you ment controlling the srs, that could be pretty cool when the wife is *****ing.... just pop the pass bag to shut her up for a while
                          Thanks. Ya that would be funny. I was tired and should have been more specific I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by phc
                            I really don't think your PC is the best way to do that. You need dedicated hardware (and software) designed by people who know what they are doing.
                            Yeah, like MICROSOFT buahahahaha
                            2002 Honda CR-V
                            Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
                            Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
                            ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

Microsoft!

Originally posted by turbocad6

rotflmao i would love to have that in my car my women always complains. I would be happy with a switch that i could press and whamo! out cold.
                              Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

Comment

Working...
                              X