Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some with a complex hinge

Hey everyone,

I need to make some sort of hinge that will allow my alpine dsp controller to travel out about 1/2" then rotate down. I would like to have this controlled by a single servo but i can't thing of a robust way of doing this. The reason why i'm doing this is because i want to mount my dvd-rom behind the dsp controller under my touchscreen.

the only solution that i have come up with is to have the controller on a set of rails with a hinge at the end. The contact point of the servo's control linkage would be just above the hinge. when the servo linkage pushes it will slide the controller out till it hits a max extension point of the rails to which it will start to rotate the controller down exposing the dvd rom. Here is some cheesy ascii art:

Code:
              |
              |
    ---------o|
    _________o|
    The bottom line is the rail with the 'o' being the hinge. The dotted line would be the servo linkage. It pushes the rails out to the end of travel then rotate the face of the controller down (the column of '|' represent the dsp controller)

Any better ideas?
    (I don't think just getting a tray loading dvd to push it out would last long either)
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Originally posted by scott_fx
    Hey everyone,

I need to make some sort of hinge that will allow my alpine dsp controller to travel out about 1/2" then rotate down. I would like to have this controlled by a single servo but i can't thing of a robust way of doing this. The reason why i'm doing this is because i want to mount my dvd-rom behind the dsp controller under my touchscreen.

the only solution that i have come up with is to have the controller on a set of rails with a hinge at the end. The contact point of the servo's control linkage would be just above the hinge. when the servo linkage pushes it will slide the controller out till it hits a max extension point of the rails to which it will start to rotate the controller down exposing the dvd rom. Here is some cheesy ascii art:

Code:
              |
              |
    ---------o|
    _________o|
    The bottom line is the rail with the 'o' being the hinge. The dotted line would be the servo linkage. It pushes the rails out to the end of travel then rotate the face of the controller down (the column of '|' represent the dsp controller)

Any better ideas?
    (I don't think just getting a tray loading dvd to push it out would last long either)
    Your theory of operation is correct. I would suggest the following instead though, a linear acutator (http://www.firgelliauto.com/) and a slide (http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCt...MMainWidth=812)

Bascially, the actuator would push the unit out till it hit a mechanical "stop", at which point the slide would stop, and the actuator would continue to move out, pushing the DSP forward till it was almost horizontal. Then, when it was time to close, the actuator will retrace, pullin the disply up, and retracting the unit on the slide.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

those slides are exactly what i need, thanks. I like the idea of using an actuator, but seems a bit of an overkill and expensive. what would be the advantage of a linear actuator over a high torque servo? (I already have the control board for the servo too)

thanks for the reply
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

those slides are exactly what i need, thanks. I like the idea of using an actuator, but seems a bit of an overkill and expensive. what would be the advantage of a linear actuator over a high torque servo? (I already have the control board for the servo too)

thanks for the reply
        Your welcome.

Yes, the actuator is probably overkill. There are smaller, less "overkill" versions, and yes, actuators are expensive.

The major advantage to an actuator is that the motion is linear, in the direction you require basically. Servos work in a circular motion, which must be translated to linear motion. This requires additional hinges and joints, which makes it more difficult to implement in that way.

Michael

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

even a satallite actuator would work perfectly...

http://www.pulsat.com/satellite/site...product_id=347

Its alittle bigger though.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44029

these do look promising... i could the actuator out of these
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Do you mean something like this ?
              Attached Files

Comment

Not sure if it would be applicable in this situation - but have you seen BugBytes servo operated custom motorized screen? He modded his dash and made it so a servo raises his screen.

I think he shared some info somewhere on the forums on how he did it. He has the servo hooked to his carputer serial port I think. Jumpered a couple pins or something so when the carputer starts up it'll motorize the screen.

I can't remember the details of his application - but it either operated when the computer was turned on - or he had custom software that sent a signal to the serial port to operate the server.

ttyl
                ~Bob
                www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

thanks guys for the replies.

maximus, that wont work for me because when the screen rotates it actually takes up more verticle space. that is a great concept if you have the clearance.

snyperbob
                  yeah, i love his install it's really cool. i have a servo controller that my roommate will write a vb script to activiate it when i hit the eject button (hopefully) but the thing that i'm concerned with is the actual mechanics. So far it seems that my orig idea is the simplest solution. but i want to explore all possible solutions.
                  New System in progress:
                  M10k
                  Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                  My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44029

these do look promising... i could the actuator out of these

It does, but I hate then ******* charge outrageous shipping charges. It just ****es me off.

I wonder if the actuator is strong enough. If the shipping was reasonable, I would buy it.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Escalade182
                      even a satallite actuator would work perfectly...

http://www.pulsat.com/satellite/site...product_id=347

Its alittle bigger though.

A little bigger, runs on 36 volts, and needs 4 wire control. Seems a little more complicated then needed, OH, and it aint cheap at 50 pound/70 Euros, but a good find none the less.

Michael

Comment

How about this?

You could actually flip the servo horn 180 degrees so the holes face up, then reverse the direction of the servo. That might work better.

Do you have to slide the screen out? If not, keep it anchored at the hinge point.
                        Attached Files
                        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:
                        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

thanks bugbite, i was looking forward to your input too. I do have to slide the unit out about an inch...(maybe less) because there isn't enough clearance to have the disp unit diagonally (durring it's rotation).

I also have been toying with the idea of having the slide move out and the rotation arm stationary (well it will have a little play until it the unit slides out far enough which it will hit a stop and force the panel to rotate back in on itself)
                          New System in progress:
                          M10k
                          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I also have been toying with the idea of having the slide move out and the rotation arm stationary (well it will have a little play until it the unit slides out far enough which it will hit a stop and force the panel to rotate back in on itself)
                            I think that's the way to go. It keeps it simple.
                            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                            Want to:
                            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                            X