Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB FM RDS Solution with sofware

Hi everybody,

I find the good and simple solution for the FM RDS Radio problem.

Look at this,

http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/publ...USBFMRadio.htm

and if have info or some experience from this please return

If it's true, I think this is the simpliest solution for this task.

Laz

I don't have any experience with it, but I'm going to guess the reception would be a little sub-par....

Comment

Has anyone found a price? Also, the link you supplied, all of the PSD info links are broken. I'll keep trying to check their listed suppliers for prices...
      www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Nice peice!

It probably has the same chip as many portable mp3 players that have fm radios in them. In my experience, they work great! Its funny that all a company would have to do is make these available on mp3car, and they'd likely sell a couple thousand of them within the week.

Comment

Boy, we need to get the MP3car.com store to start stocking these. Who runs that operation?
          JoshB [BadPakt]
          TruckPC [||||||||||] 90% (Tweaking Software)
          FrodoPlayer / Lilliput / Opus 150 / AMD Sempron / PowerMate
          Roady2 ((XM)) / Sony W600 / Bluetooth / Ford Ranger EDGE

Comment

I will some price between a few days, they're promises me....
            If I received, will bring out..........

Comment

As achiever said, reception is probably horrible, and the proprietary software prolly sucks. You'd get 1-3 sales on mp3car as the rest waited fro reports.. when they came back negative it'd just be another fm radio to avoid

-arebelspy
              See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
              Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
              i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

As far as I can see, it's similar to the Avermedia USB FM Radio, but with RDS support.

As the Avermedia, the aerial input is via headphones cable, and that will give you horrible reception in a car (because of movement).

I'm thinking about the possibility of connecting the car antena to the receiver soldering an ISO connector. Car aerial is 75 Ohm, as expected by the receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by yargon
                  As far as I can see, it's similar to the Avermedia USB FM Radio, but with RDS support.

As the Avermedia, the aerial input is via headphones cable, and that will give you horrible reception in a car (because of movement).

I'm thinking about the possibility of connecting the car antena to the receiver soldering an ISO connector. Car aerial is 75 Ohm, as expected by the receiver.
                  Where did you get yours from? How much, and are you in the US or overseas?
                  www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Hi,
                    After a week of verification, tomorrow I will took a test unit of this equipment.

Initially: it's have own aerial (not headphone cable) The price is near $5/pcs !!!!!!!
                    That's true!

After a few days I will to come, with the test results..

Comment

looks interesting...(but only for them who don't want AM...[such as me ])

Comment

if its only $5...ill get 2!
                        PC Components:
                        Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                        My work log

Comment

Looks like a good USB Radio. Waiting for the result.
                          Will this search on its own for a better frequency when the reception is bad?

Now I use my D-Link DU-R100. But that got no RDS support.

Comment

Testing of USB FM Radio from Silicon Laboratories

By Courtesy of Silicon Laboratoires and their Hungarian Distributor HT EUREP Kft. Budapest, I was a possibilty to test this module.
                            I tested it from the viewpoint of using in carputers.

The results:

The module:

Itís a simple USB key format module with a cca 70 cm long wire, as the aerial.
                            The unit is a possibility of use of the SLAB chip FM Radio Tuner Si4701 and USB enabled microcontroller ( C8051F321).

This two chips are mounted on a little pcb panel with a few additional parts. This is a very simple work, (or the chips can get everithing)

The installation of module:

Itís very easy. The unit is absolutelly plug and play, under windows xp. After a few seconds recogise as a composite USB unit, and after this as an FM radio. After 5-8 seconds ready to work, wthout any requst of install.

The software:

Itís a very simple but good working software. Can download from this link: http://www.silabs.com/public/documen...n/USBRadio.exe

It was developed in C++ and visual studio 6.0 and the source code is available: http://www.silabs.com/public/documen...en/AN264SW.zip
                            All of codes, skin parts, and headers can download from here. This is a good possibility for the further developing. The users guide link is: http://www.silabs.com/public/documen...B-Radio-RD.pdf
                            The downloaded part an exe file only. Not any installation required, click on, and working.
                            The string and closing speed is very impressive! Starting and closing immediatelly. This is a good thing for embedding any frontend software for Car PC-s.

After starting the program recognize the radio unit automatically, and working immediatelly.
                            The display illuminate the mono-stereo mode, Signal strenght(itís important) the frequency, and RDS indentification,
                            The buttons are: preste buttons (12pcs), great work to programming, if You hold down, store the actual frequ. As in a car FM radio. Step up, step down, seeking, and intro buttons. + a volume level ctr.

This is a very usable and simple prog.

But a few words: the working preset number not signed anywhere. The RDS ID is in 4 digit only. For further development can increase this to at least 8-10digits.

Working of the FM radio:

This product not supported the RDS service. The radio wth RDS will comes frist weeks of 2006 (SILAB info)

Generally the work of unit is unproblematic, I not find any problems within 3 days continuous action.

The reception. This is a very important part of using USB radio modules.

With a desktop computer worked very good, but here is a very much troublesome parts, working motorsÖ.etc.
                            The place was a very bad conditioned place of receiving, but working good, without any request of positioning aerial.

In car can test with a notebook, without any additonal aerial. The wire was hang out on the window. But works good.

The reception depends from the quality of unit( I think itís no prblem) the quality of coverage, and the aerial.

The SILAB FM radio working very good in car, but for further use: Must find a good place in car, the outermost distance from the Car pc. And for the secure work I think must build a possibilty of car aerial connction.

The price: The informational price of the unit is $5 !!!!!! after 5th asking too!(in case of buying minimum 75 pcs)
                            This is a very competitve price. With this knowledge this unit should be an base part of building Car PC-s.
                            Nevertheless this is a very simple, and very good quality soluton of this task.
                            I commend for everybody to try and use.

Laz

Comment

Do you know if the rds capabilities includes an automatic switch between frequencies? That means it will track the best emetter all along the way when driving?

Comment

Working...
                              X