prof. solderer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prof. solderer?

does anyone know of a place i can send out a pc board to get the vfd removed from a pc board and have it extended (with ribbon cable or anytype of wire)

this is what i need to have done:

I need the vfd display taken off tha board so i can remote mount it (doesn't have to be that long, maybe a few inches or so)

any help or insight on this would be great,

thanks
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Actually, that doesn't seem all that hard to do. It isn't surface mount, from what it looks, and they aren't immediately on top of each other. You might be able to do it yourself.

Otherwise, somebody on here might be able to do it for you. I think I ould even handle that. As long as you had the proper cable.
    2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
    7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
    80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
      does anyone know of a place i can send out a pc board to get the vfd removed from a pc board and have it extended (with ribbon cable or anytype of wire)

this is what i need to have done:

I need the vfd display taken off tha board so i can remote mount it (doesn't have to be that long, maybe a few inches or so)

any help or insight on this would be great,

thanks
      It's quite easy to do. Just use some solder-wick and a soldering iron to soak up the solder and the VFD can be removed. If you want someone to do it I suppose I can for a small fee.

Comment

do it yourself..

I changed the whole gauge cluster along w/ my center console from Orange to Red with surface mounted LEDs. The kicker is that I never held a solder in my hands before that time.. and I did it! so what you are asking can't be all that harder than mine

-Emo

Comment

hmmm.... thanks for the input guys and the offers, i'll have to mull this one over and figure out how i'm going to do it.

Thanks
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

another question, do you think it would be possible to replace the micro switches (toward teh top of the picture, near the llights) with another kind of momentary switch that is extended in the same way that the vfd is?
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
              another question, do you think it would be possible to replace the micro switches (toward teh top of the picture, near the llights) with another kind of momentary switch that is extended in the same way that the vfd is?
              Absolutely. It's even easier, since you don't actually have to remove the existing switches. Just solder leads to either side of the switch and wire in your own switch in parallel.

Comment

If you extend this yourself, get a perforated protoboard (ratshack has 'em) Usually the pins on VFD modules are very soft and break easily. With the perf board, you can mount it for stability, add your ribbon wire (got an old parallel port mobo dongle lying around?) and you can cut the perf board big enough to drill so you can mount the entire thing with screws if you so desire.
                http://sonatapc.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by RetroPlayer
                  If you extend this yourself, get a perforated protoboard (ratshack has 'em) Usually the pins on VFD modules are very soft and break easily. With the perf board, you can mount it for stability, add your ribbon wire (got an old parallel port mobo dongle lying around?) and you can cut the perf board big enough to drill so you can mount the entire thing with screws if you so desire.
                  Agreed. It would suck to have one of those pins break off at the glass.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroPlayer
                    great idea, thanks
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...