Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hacking Head Unit CD with CD/DVD-ROM slot load drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking Head Unit CD with CD/DVD-ROM slot load drive?

Install is in a 2002 Huyndai Santa Fe.

I have a pioneer head unit with a slot load drive hidden behind the face plate. I have a 2 DIN dash opening.

The DWW-700M screen will be taking up the top DIN slot, leaving the pioneer in the lower DIN slot.

Without fabricating a new mount someplace or sticking it someplace semi-accessible (like the glove box) I don't have anywhere to mount a CD/DVD drive for the CarPC.

I was wondering if anyone had had sucess with cutting the 1x CD Slotload parts from a head unit and replacing them with a Slot load CD/DVD drive.

Really just interested in having it physicaly housed in the head unit, with the power comming form the CarPC PS, data cabled (usb, firewire, etc) to the CarPC.

Leaving the head unit for AM/FM and the built in AMPs.

Anyone done this?

Any suggestions?

The drive int eh headunit isn't setup to read data whatsoever, so this really is pointless to attempt.

The Xenarc 700IDT has enough space to squeeze a slimline slot-load drive into the casing, if you're interested in changing direction on your screen choice (assuming you haven't purchased yet).
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
      The drive int eh headunit isn't setup to read data whatsoever, so this really is pointless to attempt.

The Xenarc 700IDT has enough space to squeeze a slimline slot-load drive into the casing, if you're interested in changing direction on your screen choice (assuming you haven't purchased yet).

DP, I think you missed the point, he want to remove the cd mechanism in the headunit, and replace it with one that will interface with the computer, powered by the computer. He just wants to use the HU as a "housing".

While it seems possible, I doubt it will work. The only way to find out is to take the HU apart, and see how much physical room there is.

Also, it is POSSIBLE, that the unit must "see" the CD mechanism in order to work properly, though that is just an assumption.

Let us know how it turns out.

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Ahhhh. I did miss the point. My bad.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

take it apart & remove the mechanisim & see if it still works.... if it does then try to cram a slot load in it's place..... it could work great & it could be really impractical, without seeing the inner contruction of the radio nothing more can be said about it really.......

now adays with huge 1 & 2 gig thumbdrives a optical drive is becoming less & less necissary in the car.... maybe mounting the drive in a secondary location for infrequent use is an option for you too..... I find now adays just loading to a thumbdrive & then inserting it in my carpc does the trick without acessing the optical drive......, of course this is if your original idea doesn't pan out....

if your eager to try, consider grabing a head like yours off ebay.... or at least scoping out the availability of a replacement incase your attempt goes bad..... good idea btw....
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

it may be easier to remotely mount the headunit away from the faceplate and then mount the dvdrom drive behind the faceplate.
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Yeah, will take it out this weekend while I'm doing the install. It's not that hot of a HU anyhow, so if I blow it no worries.

Comment

Any update on this project. I was thinking about trying this on my wifes car.
                KIAs can have car pcs too..

Comment

Working...
                X