damn it, now i want one.....

post the pin outs when you can!
    Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
    Genesis has speed
    Genesis has class
    Genesis sent money
    before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Project NiteVision - NiteMax + HUD + carputer

I want to install a night vision system in my setup almost entirely using parts of a nitemax camera.

here is my plan of attack:

first here is an image of what I want it to look like when i am done:

The image on the windshield will be more square then I have illustrated it in picture and will be transparent as it will just be a projected image on the glass. I do not want to use any tint or film on the glass that would noticeably diminish the opacity of the glass.

Since this will be used mainly at night I do not care if the HUD is not visible in daylight. If i really want to use the system in the daytime, I can see it on my main carputer screen.

I have disassembled the nitemax camera shown below.

The CCD board and the lens will be housed in a small project box that I picked up @ radio shack and I think that I will mount it to the underside of the stock mount for my rear view mirror. The case will be between the mirror and the windshield and will not be blocking the drivers field of view. I might change the location if I encounter glare from the windshield.

The rest of the components of the nitemax (power supply board, LCD, LCD controller) will be housed in a larger project box that will be recessed into the top of my dash board.

here is a pic of the lcd disassembled and the controller, along with the backlighting, I disassembled thinking that the stock backlighting would not be enough to project the image on to the windshield, but being that i only want the HUD at night I am going to try it with the assembled lcd and stock backlight first.

And here are some quick drawings I made to show what I have planned out in the project box that will recess into the windshield.

I thought about using a mirror, but the lcds image should be reversible if i remember correctly from the nitemax thread, and the mirror would mean more adjustments, loss of brightness, ect.

I am really looking for any help with the HUD configuration as I am going to be learning this as I go. Does anyone have any ideas on how else it might be done?

I will keep this thread updated with the projects progress.
    My Install

Software:
    CFiG v1
    iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
    Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
    StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

o wow.. I like this idea... very nice!! Keep up the work and let us know how it's working out

-Emo

Comment

nice one. I'm interested in how the issues with sunlight etc will be solved. nice adventure dude
        Current:
        [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
        [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

thanks, guys.

sama, will be even cooler if using your software it can identify and warn me of objects in the road (Even though the car will be moving)

software is where the real fun will be had

for all those curious check out this thread....

http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73065
          My Install

Software:
          CFiG v1
          iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

hehe. there are techniques for doing motion detection relative to one's own motion, like optic flow (in that thread). Conceptually I can think how to do that, but my rusty mathmatics needs a lot of work first
            Current:
            [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
            [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

I was thinking something along those lines, but cus I still in the FAB part of two cars I don't have the time to do some trial and error to see where it take me.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread

Thanatos.
              RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
              We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

My GTP already has a HUD, but I was wanting to do this kind of project also with my Nitemaxx parts. Subscribed!

Comment

Originally posted by alti
                  I thought about using a mirror, but the lcds image should be reversible if i remember correctly from the nitemax thread, and the mirror would mean more adjustments, loss of brightness, ect.
                  I can't tell from your parts which CCD Board you have, but the Color one can produce mirrored output and the LCD Controller itself supports mirror too.(It is there in the thread somewhere.)

Also: If you're feeding 12v DC regulated into your project box to power everything, you won't actually need the Power Supply Board. The only thing LCD related that the Power Supply Board provides is LCD Contrast Adjustment. This can be replace with a 5k Ohm Potentiometer instead.

The Camera itself will work fine with 12v DC too.

Has anyone ever played with the Digital Potentiometers? Done properly, it would be possible to control the LCD Brightness and Contrast from your PC!

Comment

I have the b/w CCD, I remember something about cutting a wire?? I remember seeing in the thread as well (will look for it again when i get to that step)

I want to get one of the color CCD from you if you still have them as well to play with, I think that the b/w will do a better job for this appliaction though from what i was reading.

Thanks for bringing the hardware to make this possible, Mark!
                    My Install

Software:
                    CFiG v1
                    iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

The software part should be interesting indeed. Ill be talking to the guys in computer vision to see what's up. As per the HUD, the mirror idea is going to work, just remember your equations and you'll do fine.

One more thing. When i decded to do my HUD proect, and before i abandoned it and then started it back again and then put it on hold, i just the local municipalities for any legalities i may face. Do your very very best to make sure no cop sees you with it. Remember than light goes both ways in a windshield and any light in your dash, could get you pulled over and fined (a ticket you can't fight). Either that or have a PBA card handy (i don't think i have extras). I would suggest tints 30% ofcourse to comply with NYS laws.

B&W may be best for this application.

When i get my project nitemaxes, i'll start a thread too and we can share findings and stuff.

Originally posted by sama
                      nice one. I'm interested in how the issues with sunlight etc will be solved. nice adventure dude
                      Hehe, i think sunlight defeats the whole purpose of the nitemax

THE GF THEME
                      Genesis has speed
                      Genesis has class
                      Genesis sent money
                      before your a__;)

Comment

sweet thanks for the tips, I make sure to drop a link to your thread when you get it going, sharing ideas is what this forum is all about, maybe one of us can get something going by the NY meet
                        My Install

Software:
                        CFiG v1
                        iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

Hey Alti and Genesis,

Add me to the Nitemax HUD club, and I guess I will put up my own thread in here to compare as well and we can have a party!

I have been studying this concept for a while now, and thought I could offer some help from where I've been already.

I have almost the identical setup, my LCD fits flat in the speaker grille on the dash. I am using a color 5" LCD that I got off e-bay ($50.00) for now that drops right into the speaker hole. The grille acts like a lid to conceal it when not in use. The grille will be motorized to open and close (like a clamshell) open end facing the glass, side shields to prevent light from escaping and blinding me.

I first used the B&W Nitemax from the original batch Mark offered. That wasn't bad at all, but it required me to look at the image on the LCD itself to be "normal". The Pros of this were: 1) I didn't need to worry so much about a cop in front of me seeing a big burst of light on the windshield (behind me a whole different story); 2) I could adjust the angle of the 5" LCD for optimal viewing from the driver's seat; 3) Set up was pretty easy (what fun is that?) Cons: It was a little in the way, sticking straight up from the top of the dash, but nothing I couldn't get used to over time; 2) there was a secondary reflection above the monitor on the glass. 3) not very cool in the Caddy.

So, I got the second wave of CCD boards from Mark, the color version. That one has the mirroring capabilities for output to the RCA jack (the B&W can mirror too, but ONLY to the 2" NiteMax LCD if I remember correctly). So, with the jumper in place on the color CCD, the image is inverted. This allowed me to shine the image right onto the glass right for right / left for left or "normal." For my application, this worked out better, because now the LCD is in a fixed position (flat-ish) and the clamshell operation of the grille is all that is needed. the output is color, which is slick, but it looks more like Sepia at night. The B&W is probably more what I wanted. For that to happen, I will switch over to a B&W monitor instead, 5" or better for optimum viewing, anything smaller is just too hard to see at that distance..

Some have noticed ghosting on the windshield, I did not have that problem. This is caused by multiple reflections off the inside and outside faces of the windshield due to thickness. Adjusting the distance from the monitor to the glass could have a positive or negative effect on this phenomenon. Pros: 1) no mirror needed; 2) totally concealed from thieving bastards 3) the glare from the outside is minimized since the light source (LCD) is pointing UP, not out. Cons can't think of any right now...

I have also toyed with the idea of putting a reflective thin layer of something (black translucent mylar) stretched between 2 wires on a little motor between the end of the dash and the glass. Something like a window shade that rolls UP when activated and down when off, maybe 6" x 6". However, I don't think I'll need it, but something to consider.

One thing I noticed about your setup is that plexiglass cover over the LCD in your dash. You will lose about 10% of the available image (brightness and resolution), because the light from the LCD will be passing through a refractive medium (plexi) then onto the windshield. This Plexi has reflective properties (all refractive mediums do). Simple analgy is when you wear glasses and get your picture taken, the big white splash where your face should be in the photo is the light reflecting off the eyeglass lenses and back to the camera. This can be solved with an anti-reflective coating, but you might be better off letting the light pass from point A to point B un-interupted.

Good luck with your set up, if there is anything I can help with, feel free to PM or e-mail me. Mine should be fully functional and installed his weekend, and then PICS!!!

Mike
                          Attached Files
                          Working on - 2006 Cadillac Escalade with all the TOYS!

COMPLETE! - 2002 Cadillac DTS - Summer 2008 - SOLD SUMMER 2010

COMPLETE! - 1998 Cadillac Deville Concours - Summer 2007 - SOLD SUMMER 2008

Comment

quantum, I hear what your saying on the plexi, I planned to try it with and without to see if it makes a real difference, I want to try to seal off the electronics in the recessed box from dust and damage. I willl look into the anti-reflective coating that you mentioned, this seems like a good option.

I have been toying with what might work as a good reflective material to put on the windshield to ensure that the image is not visiable to people coming at the car head-on and to improve the image on the windshield without signifigently degrading the opacity of the windshield. If I find anything good I will post it up here, so far my googling has just resulted in hits on polymer (OEM and between the 2 glass panels in the windshield, also has a specific wedge angle for each car) and tints, but i have not been able to find much else.

If the image is not visable from the front of the car I dont see how it could be illegal, NightVision was offered as a stock option on the 2000-2004 deville and many other cars have simpler HUD's that project speed, ect.

Very nice write up BTW, I look forward to seeing how your project turns out.
                            My Install

Software:
                            CFiG v1
                            iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

(i'll link this post up in a day or two and make it interesting, don't worry)

hehe, i think my post in teh HUD thread showed what i wanted to do.

quantum, your build on that array of LCDs was my first idea, but i'm nearsighted and the screens were too small. my next idea was pretty simple: get an ATI USB TV wonder and actualy make the nitemax image a window on my desktop that can be minimized and maximized. That way, for night driving, i could have a nice large view of the IR world. The HUD part was going to be my screen anyways (a 8x12 sheet of something that has yet to be determined). So far, i've had a few hits, but almost as many misses. The perfec tsolution truned out to be WAY over budget. A solution that was given to me by an old research professor seems to be the next and far cheaper set. Also, i'm tinting my car. and i hope to use a sheet of polaroised tints to minimized outgoing light form the HUD.

I've bene researching polarization techniques in manufacturing. Its a polarized flim that makes your LCDs on all calcuators and etc. work, beleive it or not...and its VERY interesting...makes those electic tints on those high end cars seem like a cheap gimmick they ripped off and overcharge on. I'm trying to see if i can get it to work as an HUD that when you desire it, a button press or a mouse wave, an image of the screen appears and allows you to do things, making it a bit less distracting than changing the radio as you don't have to look down. So far, though, it seems chromatic and i'm looking at a similar way that you guys are arranging your HUDs, a physcial screen in the dash, to do it. there si a medical film that, if it works, i'll reccomend. However, righ tnow,my car is pretty much...on the fritz, so until i get a motor swap done, its all research. I'm still wondering if i cna get way to shift polarized films to create a black spot screen that i can reflect off of, like a two way mirror.

As for the Nitemaxes, i'm thinking a blindspot, foward, and rear CCD is in order. I don't see a real need for a rear view camera, but whatever . I'm still thinking about two forwards though for stereo vision. Ther'es a specific reason for it and i need to start looking at the nitemax pdfs for the resolution of the CCDs. Nissan has this interesting technology that will wake you up if it thinks that you've drifted off and are inadvertantly changing lanes. Also, i'm probably going to be talking with my robotics proffessor, who's big into computer vision, and we'll see what we can come up with. That's my project...atleast for the car. Paintball wise...hehehe..that's going to be something really cool and bring digital warfare onto them poor kids...

mark...do you have an expereince with recording off a nitemax?

@quantum....Visibility, or lack there of, from the front of the car can be accomplished by using the angles of incidence (i beleive that's what its called). its a property of trasnperant matereials, ie glass, that as light travels through the two mediums, it will change angle. When you look at an object in water, see how it bends? Well there's an angle where it will just bounce off the medium and not go in, and there's an angle where light will enter the meduim and bounce around in the meduim and not leave (i'm talking about a flat sheet of whatever). the former is a possibility on how they do it. it just reflects off the windsheild and only the people inside the car get to see it.

I dont' feel like diging through my text books for the equations...but tis really really simple. Liek a few varibales and a proportion based on two n values (n=1 is air)

THE GF THEME
                              Genesis has speed
                              Genesis has class
                              Genesis sent money
                              before your a__;)

Comment

Working...
                              X