Looking for a part....but dont know the name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a part....but dont know the name

I'm looking for a laser, infrared, whatever to detect when something is between two sensors.

This is the kind of thing that is on garage doors as a safety feature for when something gets in the way while its closing.

Don't know where to find something like this or even what it would be called
    Help is appreciated!
    2004 G35 Coupe project

I know it. These are elevator door things.
    ibus error
    GTA skin

Comment

I think that you are looking for something thats called a 'Through-Beam Photoelectric Switch'. Look here and you shell find .

Comment

Photoelectric switch, sounds right to me, thanks

Seems like nothing exists that meets my needs though
        I need one thats small, can run on a small battery and only needs to sense a distance of 1.5ft

Anyone know of anything or can come up with any alternate ideas?

Now that I think about it I would really only need an infrared light emitter/detector and a small reflective surface opposite it.....I think
        Something like this http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1606.html
        2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

couldnt you just use infrered? have IR set up that when it no longer recieves a signal thats repeated every so often 5hz or so, it does thwatever you need to do?

now a better question would be, wtf are you trying to do? im sure its been thought of before (everything has...) and there might be some info out there already.
          1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
          Pictures
          Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

How about this? http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=242

Or better yet, this? http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=639

They're both distance sensors - and if it ever reads closer than your fixed 'open' distance, it means something is in front of it.

Comment

That second one is awesome! It may not work for what you need it, but I am gonna get a couple of these for my next robotics project. Serial out? Sweet!

Depending on what you need it for though, you are going to have to have a microcontroller to decode the RS-232 signal. The first one looks alot simpler as far as the electronics go.
              2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
              7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
              80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

What about an electronic door chime? The kind that when you walk in a small retail store they ding. Maybe that will help, but I doubt it will be battery powered...
                ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

Originally posted by Puffanug
                  What about an electronic door chime? The kind that when you walk in a small retail store they ding. Maybe that will help, but I doubt it will be battery powered...
                  You might not be able to use these though. With such a short distance, they may not trigger at all. I would have to check the instruction manual, but I think most of them have to have a doorway of something like 3' (minimum distance), or they don't work. BUT, they do sell several that are battery operated.
                  2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
                  7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
                  80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Originally posted by Putput
                    I think that you are looking for something thats called a 'Through-Beam Photoelectric Switch'. Look here and you shell find .
                    Photoelectric switch is the correct name. Also commonly called a photoeye. There are three basic simple types used in automation applications.
                    1. "through beam" as described with emitter and detector pair
                    2. "Retro Reflective" uses a passive reflector on the opposite side
                    3. "Difffuse" this type sees when something is close enough in front of it to reflect light back.

You will find that most of these are rather expensive (~$100). They modulate the light to a frequency then look only for that light, so they are not fooled by bright sunlight or other sources. Most are available to run from 9-24VDC which is fine for in a car.

aoLhaTer: you never said what your application is. Your best bet may be to get a door type annunciator like others have said and hack it.
                    ~Jimmy

Comment

The application for this isn't for a car, I just posted here because I know how knowledgable people in this forum are

A diffuse type photoelectric switch seems to be what Im looking for

Door annunciators are a good idea, Ill have to take a look at those
                      2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Working...
                      X