Project - Rebuilding a broken in-dash lcd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project - Rebuilding a broken in-dash lcd

Bought a cheap in-dash lcd a while ago from a private seller. It was new, but I got it to eject only once, the rest of 143 times I tried it just clicked and the screen wasn't ejected. Not to funny, it didn't work no matter what I tried with different supplies and connections.
    Anyway, after some discussion this kind seller agreed to send me a new unit, and I could keep the defect one. But will I throw in the bin? No way
    I picked it apart and found that the display tries to move inwards instead of out when the power is applied. Stupid! Must be some sensor or a plain brain damage in the cpu... The thing is I need a display to my HTPC at home, so I will now try to rebuild the thing to a standing none-moving display. Doesn't look that hard from what I've seen to this point.

I now removed most of the useless stuff, there is just the bottom and front left. It's hard to see, but the display is still alive!

Pushed the display out and test the display. Just a optoreader to fool and it lit up!

Beginning of disassemble...

Thats what I call a gearbox!

Can this ever be a display again?

Well infact it's still alive!

The parts removed so far

Time to do some rebuild. The big card was mounted on the back of the panel with nuts and bolts:

Here was also the front panel mounted, I won't be needing the buttons much. Had to use taller bolts because there is connections on the back of the card.

From another angle:

Made some panels out of plywood to make it stand straight ang look a little prettier:

Almost done, just adding some paint and test if the patient has survived the surgery:

The screen in it's future position. The light in the screen gives a pretty cool effect on the HTPC case
    It looks ok and useable. Powersupply was simple done by connecting to the HTPC PSU (where the wireless transmitter already gets it's power).

thats awesome, wish i had an extra screen to play with

Comment

is it a VGA display?

Please could you tell me the references of these chips. Interrested in the name of the big chip.

thank you.
      Attached Files
      New prototype : 2DIN AUDI OEM-LIKE CARPC based on SYMPHONY II
      Motorized InDash Screen, Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, SSD

Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V1
      Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V2 = LM-Lilliput Prototype

First project in Peugeot 306

Comment

It has two RCA-inputs. It's hard to find the resolution on the screen, the only number I found is 1440 x 234. The model number is TM-715QL.
        The big chip is a Samsung S3F9454XZZ-DK84.

Comment

This is for your HTPC? Just wondering where the LCD will end up being. it would be cool to have it mounted to the coffee table or couch or something. Or built into the home theater equipment stack somehow...
          ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

Yes it's for the HTPC and yes it is amongst the rest of the equipment. Added a picture above, a little dark but you get the point. Real handy in combination with XLobby and a remote.

Comment

What are doing with all of the parts that you removed? If you still have them and want to get rid of them, I am interested.
              ** Denotes an "in car" post
              In-Car posts made from passenger seat - Be safe, Don't Post and Drive.

Comment

Originally posted by PHermansson View Post
                The screen in it's future position. The light in the screen gives a pretty cool effect on the HTPC case
                It looks ok and useable. Powersupply was simple done by connecting to the HTPC PSU (where the wireless transmitter already gets it's power).
                Is this in your car

Good way to use the screen

Comment

Thats what I call a gearbox!

Gday do you know where i could buy a gearbox and other parts needed like in the pic above?
                  thanks Steve

P.s this is a great site

Comment

Dose Anyone know?

Comment

Working...
                    X