XM to the Carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM to the Carputer

I'm trying to get XM to my carputer and see via the sticky that there is a XM direct unit that can be purchased for this purpose. My car already has and XM reciever, so I was wondering:

1) Is it possible to do this with the OEM Acura TL XM reciever box, or do I have to purchase the XM direct unit?"
    2) If I have to purchase the XM direct unit, how does that work? Can I change my XM subscribtion from my TL box to the XM direct box?

You need an XMDirect unit (or the out-of-production XMPCR).
    I don't know about transferring from one receiver to another. You should contact XM about that.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yes you can change your subscription. All you have to do is once you get the new box, call them up with the serial # of it and they'll swap it in your subscription.
      2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
      Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
      Install Status: DONE

My XM FAQ

Comment

edit: double post.. sorry
        2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
        Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
        Install Status: DONE

My XM FAQ

Comment

Best thing to do is get a new XMD unit, alternatively just splice the XM unit using a P.I.E. X3 and keep the stock headunit (switch from XM or Computer Audio).

Check this thread out, we did this to my brothers 05 TL.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...hlight=2005+TL
          Shotgun! - An Advanced CarPC Software Solution!

Comment

Well, the point of the XM Direct is so that I can pull the XM into the carputer and control it from there. The XM control in the TL compared to the carputer sucks.

As a side note SF, how hard do you think it was to relocate the LCD's down to the bottom ash tray area? How did you go about making the "grill" around it? About how long did it take you? I see you took 20 hours, what parts consumed the most time?

Comment

Originally posted by TokyoJoe View Post
              Well, the point of the XM Direct is so that I can pull the XM into the carputer and control it from there. The XM control in the TL compared to the carputer sucks.

As a side note SF, how hard do you think it was to relocate the LCD's down to the bottom ash tray area? How did you go about making the "grill" around it? About how long did it take you? I see you took 20 hours, what parts consumed the most time?
              Oh yea, forgot that the TL's XM is one of the bads. What I would do if its that much of a concern and assuming your TL's audio is stock. Simply use the P.I.E. x3 thing, get another XMD unit and now you can make the XM button function as the computer input (the X3 might be overkill as theres probably an easier way like tapping into the current XM wiring that goes to the headunit.)

The LCD relocation is kinda difficult, you need to extend the wiring for it to even reach down there, which is about 88 solder points (44 wires to extend). Then you have to shave it a tad to get it to fit snuggly, THEN you have to cut some plexiglass to put infront of it. I think the grill you're referring to is just plexi with some spray paint.

The most time consuming things to do will probably be the wiring and maybe taking the frickin thing apart, fabricating the cover for the LCD and mounting the xenarc wasnt too bad I guess maybe a couple hours. That and my brother is a perfectionist, kept redoing the thing over and over...is that ocd?

We did this on another TL about a month back took about 15-16 hours for that one.

Comment

Yah, I'm REALLY not looking forward to the soldering part. I was hoping that I could figure out what the actual plugs were for the bag of the LCD/HVAC, but so far to no avail. That would make things MUCH easier as I could pre-wire together 4 "wire harnesses" so when I go to do the install it'd save me a ton of time.

How did you go about doing the Plexi part? That's the part that seems most foreign to me. What tools did you use for shaving and installing the plexi?

Comment

A dremel basically, try to mount the Hvac display so that the plexi fits infrontt snuggly with the trim. There may be another way to do this but ours is just a really tight fit with the surrounding trim so it doesnt move.

Comment

WHere'd you buy the plexi from? Can you pick it up at Home Depot? How many attempts did it take you?

Comment

Working...
                    X