Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i need help with a circuit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i need help with a circuit

    i'm making the circuit that turns on my power inverter and the presses the power button

    1. turn on the inverter, my inverter does not have a rocker switch it has a temporary switch that i have to press for 3 seconds so i'm going to use a relay with a cap and an resistor, my problem is that i don't know what size the cap and resistor should be to give me a power to close the relay for 3 seconds

    here's a pic:


    2. as for the power switch on the mobo, i'm going to use the same theory instead of a switch closing the circuit a relay will do it, but i need to make the relay close for a small amount of time, hell 1 second will do, after the relay closes the pc will start to shut off, as for boot up that i already figured out

    here's a pic:
    Scion CarPC

    Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

    How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

  • #2
    As for your first part, I am NOT a excellent person with electric circuits, but I do NOT think that this will work. As far as I can tell, it will cause the circuit to energize the relay indefinately, unless some outside source changes something.

    Where did you get the image from the first part of the post?...

    Solution: Use a 555 timer in a "one shot" mode.

    "1 Second OneShot Monostable Oscillator"
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#5

    For three seconds, there are a wide array of suitable resistors and capacitor's that could be used. Let me know if this is the route your interested in taking, and I'll do up the math and get you some results on what the C and R values should be.

    Second part of post.

    This relay would keep the power button ON for the entire time the computer is on... almost all newer computers don't use this method. They use the mehtod described like your AC inverter, a short pulse to turn on, then a short pulse to turn off. Also, it would kill the computer, as soon as the AC power is lost, leading to disk write errors, and windows not being happy.

    Solution: 555 timer....

    Knight.
    This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Gravity doesn’t exist. The Earth sucks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Make a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
    Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

    Comment


    • #3
      On your second part of your post, I just realized that you intend to power the relay via your acc line, I misread that and thought it was powered via the AC from the power inverter... but still, the computer's power switch doesn't work that way, it's a single pulse to go on, single pulse to go off.


      Knight.
      This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons.
      -=-=-=-=-=-
      Gravity doesn’t exist. The Earth sucks.
      -=-=-=-=-=-
      Make a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
      Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

      Comment


      • #4
        As for your first part, I am NOT a excellent person with electric circuits, but I do NOT think that this will work. As far as I can tell, it will cause the circuit to energize the relay indefinately, unless some outside source changes something.

        Where did you get the image from the first part of the post?...
        well the power source for this will be acc too so once i turn the key the relay will close, but once the cap is full it'll keep current from flowing to the relay making it open again creating a pulse and not a constant on, right? i got the pic from one of the stickies on the top,

        it's the same theory for both circuits so if i have it wrong neither one would work
        Scion CarPC

        Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

        How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

        Comment


        • #5
          check out my sig for the laptop auto power on module... there are a few circuits in there and some other info that might help you out

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Injector View Post
            i'm making the circuit that turns on my power inverter and the presses the power button

            1. turn on the inverter, my inverter does not have a rocker switch it has a temporary switch that i have to press for 3 seconds so i'm going to use a relay with a cap and an resistor, my problem is that i don't know what size the cap and resistor should be to give me a power to close the relay for 3 seconds
            This would be a really bad idea to mess with the inverter. The capacitor's inside of the inverter have very high engery stored within them. The engery could be stored for a very long time. At least a few days. The energy stored within, is well within the amounts needed to kill you.

            I wouldn't open the case of the inverter.

            I would still use the 555 timer, much much more solid and reliable system.

            Knight.
            This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons.
            -=-=-=-=-=-
            Gravity doesn’t exist. The Earth sucks.
            -=-=-=-=-=-
            Make a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
            Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Knightofoldcode View Post
              This would be a really bad idea to mess with the inverter. The capacitor's inside of the inverter have very high engery stored within them. The engery could be stored for a very long time. At least a few days. The energy stored within, is well within the amounts needed to kill you.

              I wouldn't open the case of the inverter.

              I would still use the 555 timer, much much more solid and reliable system.

              Knight.
              too late i already opened it, i left it unplugged for about 2 weeks and i joined the + and - before opening it just to make sure, all i did was extend the power switch cables which only carry ressistance they don't carry any voltage, this 2 wires are the one the relay is going to temporarly close, here's webmasters circuit

              this one better?

              by the way webmaster how long will the relay will stay closed with the 10k resistor and a 10kuf cap?
              Scion CarPC

              Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

              How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Injector View Post
                too late i already opened it, i left it unplugged for about 2 weeks and i joined the + and - before opening it just to make sure, all i did was extend the power switch cables which only carry ressistance they don't carry any voltage, this 2 wires are the one the relay is going to temporarly close, here's webmasters circuit

                this one better?

                by the way webmaster how long will the relay will stay closed with the 10k resistor and a 10kuf cap?
                This circuit allows for about 1/2 second 'button press'.

                Comment

                Working...
                X