lcd speedometer dashboard piece

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lcd speedometer dashboard piece

since lcd screens are transparent, i was going to cut out piece of plexoglass as an overlay on my speedometer, and plant a screen in the middle, w/o backing so it's transparent

i would not put more 7, 5.6 screen would be ideal, i need to get a recommendation for the screen though, can i get away with s-video screen, also i don't want to play with lilliputs cause they are really delicate, and it's not usually a screen but that little ribbon and pcb that messes things up

5.6 vertical would be the best in my option, and it doesn't have to be touchscreen

Yev
    R. T. F. M

BTW, i am thinking of getting one of those digital picture frames, you can get used on ebay, i think the purpose they serve of qulity displaying digital pictures it would have nice monitor to play with
    Attached Files
    R. T. F. M

Comment

Nice idea, but how will you get even backlighting so you can see it and still see through it?
      Carputer Project Status:
      0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
      Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

Comment

Originally posted by walstib View Post
        Nice idea, but how will you get even backlighting so you can see it and still see through it?
        thats what i was wondering as well, its a good idea..

but how will you be able to see through it, and use it at night

at night, without a backlight, its pretty useless, and in the day, if light hits it, the light will just go through it, and u wouldnt see it anyway, no?

Comment

Yeah, that's my question. You'd either be looking through it to the speedometer or you'd have to light it up to see the LCD. When you do that, you wouldn't be able to see the speedometer.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

well usually the backing comes with the ight strobes, i i could plant behind, but then it would not look as sclean on the other hand if double layered plexi i could mange gitting screen into the cavity.

the main problem is the screens are very very delicate, and once you purr some of them out, problems come, up, and finally has, you have to hide circuitry somehere.

I think i will make a plexi overlad, and plant HUD reflective glass, and plant lcd below, would be perfect lit up somewhat transpaprent image

Yev
            R. T. F. M

Comment

I would just go for HUD on the windshield at that point...
              Carputer Project Status:

Comment

You know, on second thought...
                Looks like you have a pretty good bit of room between the two guages and might could use a display & housing from a handheld like an ipaq or color palm. it would have the backlighting, may not block anything important and may be pretty easy to connect up.
                Carputer Project Status:

Comment

i know i has experimented with hud, the problem is inclomed glaze light @ night blocks everything, so i fugured it would be even easier to put into speedometer
                  R. T. F. M

Comment

yev, read in the HUD thread, i hvve a pic of an HUD styled reflection on the speedo. I too think its a great place to put it as there's no chance for any lights to make it ineffective and there would be a cool see through effect with the speedo.

at low low light, the guage cluster
                    Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
                    Genesis has speed
                    Genesis has class
                    Genesis sent money
                    before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

good luck with that!

Comment

i am picking up a ps1 screen on ebay, and convert it to vga, it's good, and proven for good resolution

Yev
                        R. T. F. M

Comment

http://www.thecaryard.co.nz/review_saab_aero_x.asp
                          Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
                          Genesis has speed
                          Genesis has class
                          Genesis sent money
                          before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

Working...
                          X